Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for when you leave your children.

I am a stay at home mother of two and my husband works two jobs. Our youngest has Epilepsy so I can't just leave her with anyone. I looked into daycare for them to attend while I was gone and my husband was at work but the daycare wants to charge a lot more for my daughter since she has a disability (Epilepsy). Plus, the hours at the daycare aren't enough my husband works 12 hour shifts. We have considered him quitting his job while I do what I need to in order to join. We have some money saved up so this would be possible but I guess what I'm asking is.. Does the National Guard pay enough? Considering it's going to be 2 days a month? Would I have to get a second job or would my husband need to go back to work?

Also, how is the insurance for children with disabilities?

Re: Preparing for when you leave your children.

For the 10-12 weeks you are gone for BCT and then however many weeks you are gone for AIT, you will receive active duty or 'full time' pay depending on your rank. Once you return, you will only receive pay for those two-day a month drill and 2 weeks in the summer for annual training

I cannot speak for the Tricare (insurance) because I never used it.

My brother grew up with grand mal (sever) epilepsy and I have never heard anyone refer to it as a 'disability' before, neurological seizure disorder, yes. However, if your child DOES have epilepsy to the point of disability, you could contact the Social Security Administration regarding receiving social security benefits for him/her.

I personally wouldn't recommend your husband quit his job as once you return, your income will be limited to weekend drills and AT (unless deployed). Appropriate child care is definitely something you want to have strongly set up before you go, back ups too, that way you can concentrate on your training.

If you go ACTIVE, not National Guard, it would be consistent pay and you can look into Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). An exceptional Family member (EFM) is considered a family member with a physical, emotional, developmental, or intellectual disorder that requires special treatment, therapy, education, training, or counseling. The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive and coordinated community support, housing, medical, educational and personnel services to Families with special needs.
    Last edited by Chris36; August 30th, 2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X