Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Looking for information on Aviation Unit time/distance requirements while not deployed Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for information on Aviation Unit time/distance requirements while not deployed

Hi all,
    First post here, I'll try to make this short but can provide more details if you want.
    I'm a 28 year old civilian who used to be a helicopter CFI about 5 years ago. I changed careers and work as a computer technician at a college in California and while I like the pay and job security I'm quite bored and unfulfilled. I'm looking for something more purposeful and I miss being around aviation so that's what brings me here. I live in Redding, CA, which is 2 hours and 35 minutes from the nearest aviation unit based at Mather in Sacramento, CA and I wouldn't be able to move for about 2 years. I don't think doing 1 weekend a month at that distance would be a problem but I've heard aviation MOS's require more regular attendance. There is a guard unit in Redding but my motivation and passion is still with aviation.

I've been looking into 15T, is this a 1 weekend a month MOS? It seems like they need to be there all time since the 60's are airborne everyday.

Do I live too far away to realistically consider an aviation MOS with this unit?

Can my employer make my life miserable? I do work for the state but I could see them playing games.

Thanks for your time and input,
    Jeff

Re: Looking for information on Aviation Unit time/distance requirements while not deployed

15Ts do drill once a month, there are AGR 15Ts that work full time along with civilian contractors/technicians who maintain them when you're not there.

You can live as far away as you like. I had 15Ts in a former unit commuting 4 hours one way to make it to drill. If you can financially afford to, and you don't mind the lack of sleep, go for it.

Your employer might, any employer might. But working for the state I highly doubt it. The great thing is that you'll double dip with salary probably.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: Looking for information on Aviation Unit time/distance requirements while not deployed

Thanks for the response Zero. I've still got a lot of thinking and research to do but your answer helps me move into the next steps.

Comment

Forgive me asking but didn't I just deliver you the golden ticket?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean exactly but if this answers it, I still need to make sure everything will work out financially and that might somewhat of out of shape body will hold up to running for a couple miles. It's a big decision for me and even when I think I'm sure about something like this I've found that it's a good idea to give it some time for the initial excitement to wear off and then see where my head is at.

Comment

Working...
          X