X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• secret to top secret

hi all, ive been trying to find the answer to this but have thus been unsuccessful. background: 24/m, married, bachelors degree

i want to join the national guard under the MOS 25B or F to further my civlian career, i noticed that it only gives me a secret security clearance. I would really like to be able to obtain a top secret to open up IT jobs for companies like Boeing and other DoD contractors. Is there a process for getting my top secret even though my MOS doesnt require it? or would i have to reclass to another MOS that requires a top secret to get it?

thanks!

Re: secret to top secret

Go 35 series... MI. That will give you a TS/SCI.

In addition, choose a SIGINT MOS to get some computer skills to go with your IT stuff.

Comment

Is that the only way though? I have a Signal and Chemical MOS and while I would prefer to not be in IT, I'm sure a TS/SCI would open me up to some opportunities in other fields.

Comment

Very few MOS's require a TS/SCI. Off the top of my head, Intel and a few Signals ones do plus some technical repair spots.... but that's it.

Comment

So there is no way for us as soldiers to submit to such training? Just like non-combat soldiers goto Airborne and Air Assault School I doubt this avenue is as costly or time consuming.

Comment

The Army/DoD doesn't just hand out TS/SCI clearances for the heck of it, just because someone would "like" to have one. The military position or MOS must have a need for the specific clearance.

I civilian either working for the government or contracted, can qualify for and hold a TS clearance. If the position requires a clearance, then the DoD/DoS/DoJ/etc. would require that individual to submit to the specific background investigation and possible future approval of the clearance.
            Last edited by SF Hunter; August 16th, 2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
              So there is no way for us as soldiers to submit to such training? Just like non-combat soldiers goto Airborne and Air Assault School I doubt this avenue is as costly or time consuming.
              Im having a hard time believing this is a real question.

Comment

lol RC. Do you know how much it cost the government for a TS/SCI clearance? I am Signal and had a Secret for a decade and got my TS/SCI because the unit was willing to play for it; not necessarily the position. Now my next assignment will require a TS/SCI; so things just worked out in the end.

You can go Signal but try for a COMSEC custodian position and that can help you get that TS.

http://www.asd-inc.com/jobsearch/comsec_cust_al.html

http://army.com/info/mos/SignalCorps

Comment

So I was an MP with the 101st and that is a non-combat arms MOS; so that means I could not go air assault? What about all the support Soldiers with the 82nd Airborne? lol Or you think the NG does not have the same?

Comment

Just like non-combat soldiers goto Airborne and Air Assault School
                    A military school/additional skill identifier (ASI) and a clearance are two completely different things.

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                    So I was an MP with the 101st and that is a non-combat arms MOS; so that means I could not go air assault? What about all the support Soldiers with the 82nd Airborne? lol Or you think the NG does not have the same?
                    Chief, I don't think that was what was being implied. I think, Zero259 was stating that non-combat arms MOSs, COULD attend Airborne and Air Assault, even if their position/unit did not require it.
                    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Roger that SF and you are so right about it being two different things.

http://news.clearancejobs.com/2011/0...ity-clearance/ <--good info
                      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 16th, 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X