X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

If you want to be an officer, then you need to apply for OCS. The acceptance rates for in service candidates is very low.

Yes, you will need to spend years as a MP before you can become CID. Last I knew, they discontinued the internship program.

You don't mention your age. That could be a factor if you're looking at becoming an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      If you want to be an officer, then you need to apply for OCS. The acceptance rates for in service candidates is very low.

Yes, you will need to spend years as a MP before you can become CID. Last I knew, they discontinued the internship program.

You don't mention your age. That could be a factor if you're looking at becoming an officer.
      Two years is the requirement. There is still an unofficial way to intern but now they accept the LE waiver in lieu of. You do not need to be a MP. It would be much more of a benefit to have a TS....go MI.

Comment

I am 22, will finish my 4 year degree in about 2 months. I already graduated, so they will ship me my diploma when my class is finished. I test for ASVAB on Tuesday to see if I qualify based on GT and ST score.
        I will give this some more thought, there are just so many options to choose from.
        I am set to received my medical papers on Wednesday or Thursday of next week.
        How long does it take MEPS to pre-screen your medical information? I was told I need a pre-screen so they are aware of the condition and can determine if I need a waiver or not.

Comment

Pre-screens can take anywhere from a couple weeks to a month or more. You just never can tell with MEPS. If your paperwork is fairly straight forward and not missing anything that explains your condition, it shouldn't take too long for the MedRead.

What will likely take long is if you DO require a waiver after that point.

Comment

Got the screen back, they said I am okay to go down to MEPS. Does that mean I am all set, or is that the part where I go down and they look at me and say yes he's good, or no he does need a waiver?
            It was a little unclear....
            In any case, I am exited, I have not completed the application process yet, as I am getting my "ducks in a row" so to speak, but should have that finished shortly, the recruiter just did the background check, and I have the pay deposit form left and some references and then I am good.

Did find out the mos I wanted does not qualify for the loan re-payment program, which is too bad. I will need to reconsider another mos.
            Last edited by bdou; September 2nd, 2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Got everything all squared away, I pick my MOS in the next few days and head down to MEPS.

Comment

Best of luck to you, OP.

Comment

bdou,
                  You are doing the right thing by doing research and looking at all your options. I highly recommend getting in contact with an Army National Guard Officer Strength Manager (OSM) in addition to the local recruiter you have spoken to previously. The OSM is going to be able to put your specific options and career path into perspective with your specific goals in mind. They will also be able to discuss what bonuses are being offered right now in your state, as well as any additional educational benefits you are eligible to receive. Check out this link http://www.nationalguard.com/tools
                  With your education I suggest going for the Officer Career Path (09S option) initially as opposed to enlisting first. By doing so you are going to save yourself a lot of time and heart ache of attending additional training.
                  The initial training time line for an Officer Candidate is as follows:
                  1.Basic training: 10 Weeks
                  2.Officer Commissioning School (2 options):
                  State Traditional OCS- One weekend a month for 16-18 months plus 2 two week training sessions
                  OR
                  State Accelerated OCS- 8 weeks long, 7 days a week with no breaks until completion
                  3.Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) Phase 1: 7 weeks 2 days
                  4. BOLC Phase 2: 6-19 weeks long depending on the Branch you are assigned

State Traditional OCS is best for those who are trying to maintain a full time civilian job or other personal obligations e.g. family, college, etc
                  The Army National Guard is a reserve component of the Army. Once you complete your initial training you will return home and serve one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer with your assigned unit, unless deployed. Your assigned unit is typically within 50 miles of your home. This provides the ability for your fianc to meet her goals of continuing her education and not having to move, while also providing you with a supplemental income.

I apologize for the long post, but there is so much more information available that could assist you with your questions and concerns. If you would like more one on one information in regards to your situation please call 1-800-Go-Guard (1800-464-8273) and we would be happy to assist you, as well as provide you with your State's Officer Strength Manager's contact information.

Comment

Well, I was going to do officer, but I was informed that officer does not get my student loans repayed. It is a substantial amount.
                    I have yet to decide on an MOS, but am looking....its hard when you do not know which MOS qualify for the loan repayment program or not.

Comment

May I ask who informed you that the Officer Career Path has no options for the Student Loan Repayment Program?

Comment

I am pretty sure my recruiter had said that the officer path didn't qualify for the student loan repayment. I could have misinterpreted the information. He did say I couldn't really pick an MOS as an officer, I would just be tossed into whatever state vacancy was left.
                        I was advised that enlisted first was the best way to secure an MOS, that I could switch over at any time but I would lose the loan repayment going from enlisted to an officer.
                        It shows that every single MOS and path qualifies for bonuses galore, but in the end, we found only a few in my state qualify for then when you click on them in the job screen.
                        For example, I was looking at MP as an option, it doesn't have any incentives. I also looked at a few other MOS that looked interesting to me, and those too, did not qualify for incentives. I am wondering if it is a state to state thing, or if it is the same across the board?
                        Last edited by bdou; September 3rd, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Each state has their own policies/requirements when it comes to OCS candidate (09S) eligibility for SLRP. So, currently it could very well not be an option in your state.

Comment

It is not a big issue to me. If the desire arises, I am more then willing to put in the extra footwork to go through all the OCS training. At the moment, I am concerned with my loans, and being enlisted pays them off, so that is what I will be. The basic training will also give me enough cash to pay off all my credit card debt, and my car payment so I will essentially be debt free coming out of basic.
                            I am considering light-wheeled mechanic as an option, or carpentry and masonry. Those seems like they could give me some valuable skills.

Comment

Go to MEPS next week, I chose 91B. They did not have carpentry and masonry as an option with the student loan repayment.
                              I will post up later next week to let you guys know of my progress

Comment

Went through MEPS, and signed my contract.
                                Am now a member of the National Guard.
                                I go to my first RSP next weekend.
                                Thanks for all the insight and help.

Comment

Working...
                                X