Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Tough Choice, Some Questions. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

    Based on reading all of this, you need to go Active, whether it's Enlisted, Warrant, or Commission. Active is what's best for you. Like the others said, SLRP is not on right now. So that extra bill that's coming soon you need a way to handle that. You may make an extra $100 a month with drills depending on how far you drive to get there. You know it and I know it that $1200 a month is no way to live; especially if you want to have a family. The least you could do is an Active First Contract with the Guard, if they are still available. You can get your finances in order, help your fiancee finish her degree, and then rejoin the civillian world in 3-4 years and drill part time with the Guard. Or if you like it that much, you can probably stay Active before you convert over to the Guard.

    I love the Guard, but I regret the decision to not go active. I was holding on to a dream of playing football, and didn't want to grow up and join the real world. I value all my experiences and wouldn't trade them for anything, but I look at where my friends from high school and college are who did go Active, and the lives they live and I know that could have been me. If I made SGT in less than 5 years Guard than I know I could have done the same Active. I'd be like the more senior members making 40-50k a year. I do ok now civillian, but the things I want and am aspiring to get to I could have accomplished in half the time. I'm not saying all of this to bash the Guard, but you gotta realize which option puts your best foot forward.

    Just my .02 cents.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

      I really do appreciate the input. I was told today that my medical condition should be no issue, that they shouldn't have a problem getting a waiver where it has not been treated by medications or been seen for by professionals since I was in middle school. That is really great news to hear. I am confirmed for Tuesday for the asvab, I hope I can do really well.
      As far as what my aspirations are; I am curious if anyone here has any experience with recruitment for the CID positions. I would like to be an officer, but at the same time I really would like to be in the criminal investigations division as well. I was told you can't apply for the CID unless you go enlisted, and not an officer.
      I found out my state does not have a CID office, so that is rough, I had some questions. I wonder if calling one in a state nearby would be sufficient.
      Anyone have any input on that?

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

        Originally posted by bdou View Post
        I really do appreciate the input. I was told today that my medical condition should be no issue, that they shouldn't have a problem getting a waiver where it has not been treated by medications or been seen for by professionals since I was in middle school. That is really great news to hear. I am confirmed for Tuesday for the asvab, I hope I can do really well.
        As far as what my aspirations are; I am curious if anyone here has any experience with recruitment for the CID positions. I would like to be an officer, but at the same time I really would like to be in the criminal investigations division as well. I was told you can't apply for the CID unless you go enlisted, and not an officer.
        I found out my state does not have a CID office, so that is rough, I had some questions. I wonder if calling one in a state nearby would be sufficient.
        Anyone have any input on that?
        CID positions are not entry level. You must have two years of service. In the guard, there is only cid units in TX, MO, and CA.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

          I was not considering CID as a guard position. I was considering it as active. My main concern was if I could go in as an officer, and serve the min required 2 years service, and then apply being an officer, for the CID position.
          Last edited by bdou; August 8th, 2013, 05:51 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

            So if you've been told CID is an enlisted position, you want to 'go in as an officer' and the give up your commission for this job?

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

              I am not sure. I am looking at all the possibilities. It appears officer is not what I would want if I wanted CID, since I wouldn't be specialized enough for the CID requirements based on what I read.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                Originally posted by bdou View Post
                I am not sure. I am looking at all the possibilities. It appears officer is not what I would want if I wanted CID, since I wouldn't be specialized enough for the CID requirements based on what I read.
                If CID is your endstate, you need to enlist into an MOS you would tolerate serving in if you did not get into CID after two years. It is preffer ed you enlist into a job with a TS clearance if you want CID. At that point, you would also have the option to subsequently apply for OCS. There have been folks that have been commissioned and became a ln enlisted or warrant office agent, but every case to my knowledge the person had previous federal agent gs-1811 experience that they wanted an were willing to go out of their way to make it happen. It is not a plausible approach to attempt.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                  So it is easiest to enlist first, attempt for the CID position, if that fails, then opt for officer?
                  I want to be sure I understand the sequencing.

                  It is my understanding you are required to be an MP for at least a year before applying for the CID.
                  I will see my options Tuesday night after I test for the ASVAB.
                  I will go from there depending on what options I have.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                    As a former MP, I initiated my application for CID (since I had experience as a Federal Border Patrol Agent) and at the same time was pursing Signal Warrant Officer. I got selected as a Signal Warrant while doing MP PSD; so I guess I had a different calling. I would have had to wait another two years to apply for CID Warrant if selected. (

                    At least if you are an AD Army MP, you have up to E-6 (versus E-5 for other non-MP MOSes) to apply for CID.

                    Here is a good link for info.

                    http://www.cid.army.mil/faqs.html

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                      Originally posted by bdou View Post
                      So it is easiest to enlist first, attempt for the CID position, if that fails, then opt for officer?
                      I want to be sure I understand the sequencing.

                      It is my understanding you are required to be an MP for at least a year before applying for the CID.
                      I will see my options Tuesday night after I test for the ASVAB.
                      I will go from there depending on what options I have.
                      Yes to your first question on sequencing. No, you do not need to be a MP, you can intern their to gain experience...like I did .

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                        Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        As a former MP, I initiated my application for CID (since I had experience as a Federal Border Patrol Agent) and at the same time was pursing Signal Warrant Officer. I got selected as a Signal Warrant while doing MP PSD; so I guess I had a different calling. I would have had to wait another two years to apply for CID Warrant if selected. (

                        At least if you are an AD Army MP, you have up to E-6 (versus E-5 for other non-MP MOSes) to apply for CID.

                        Here is a good link for info.

                        http://www.cid.army.mil/faqs.html
                        Being a MP has no bearing on the LE experience waiver.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                          Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                          Yes to your first question on sequencing. No, you do not need to be a MP, you can intern their to gain experience...like I did .
                          Being a MP has no bearing on the rank prerequsite or LE waiver.

                          cid.army. mil/join_CID. html

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                            Well, looks like they changed the requirements even though I saw something similar on it last year in Afghanistan. But in 2006, when I was applying for CID and was an E6, I was able to apply since I was a 31B. Other MOSes had to be E5.

                            Nevertheless, good change.

                            http://www.army.mil/article/85457/

                            To qualify to become part of CID, applicants must be a U.S. citizen and must be at least 21-years-old. Applicants must be no more than an E-5 (non-promotable). Those E-5s who are promotable, or those who have achieved E-6 but have one year or less time-in-grade, may apply with waiver. All applicants must have at least two years, but not more than 10 years time-in-service, have an ST score of 107 or higher (110 or higher if tested prior to January 2, 2002), have at least 60 college credit hours (waiver of up to half of this prerequisite may be considered), have normal color vision and no record of mental or emotional disorders.

                            Applicants must be able to speak and write clearly and attain and maintain a top secret-single scope background investigation security clearance. They must also have no record of unsatisfactory credit and no felony or court-martial convictions. Lastly, applicants must be able to complete 36 months of service obligation upon completion of the CID Special Agent Course. The complete listing of qualifications can be found on the CID website.

                            To apply to become a CID Special Agent, prospective applicants should contact their local CID office or go to www.cid.army.mil for additional information.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                              Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                              CID positions are not entry level. You must have two years of service. In the guard, there is only cid units in TX, MO, and CA.
                              US Army Reserve has 19 units.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Tough Choice, Some Questions.

                                Yes chief...it was changed. This is also an mos I would recommended pursuing in the usar vs. Ng.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X