X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty Guard vs Air Force

I have considered joining the military for some time now and have narrowed the branches I am interested in to active duty Air Force or National Guard. I have heard the Guard has more educational benefits with the tuition assistance, but the AF is better for women. I am interested in radiology tech (68P) to start out with and can hopefully go to school while serving to get into the radiology program. I am also close to finishing my bachelors degree and don't know if it makes a difference to join now or after I receive that. Any opinions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Active duty Guard vs Air Force

Originally posted by katelove View Post
    I have considered joining the military for some time now and have narrowed the branches I am interested in to active duty Air Force or National Guard. I have heard the Guard has more educational benefits with the tuition assistance, but the AF is better for women. I am interested in radiology tech (68P) to start out with and can hopefully go to school while serving to get into the radiology program. I am also close to finishing my bachelors degree and don't know if it makes a difference to join now or after I receive that. Any opinions would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    I'm curious. The bold seems to be the only thing holding you from the National Guard. Why is that?

Comment

Active Duty AF and the NG couldn't be farther apart.

The AF is full time job, living on base, deploying and what not. The NG is a very part time commitment with little to no "base" support....

Comment

but the AF is better for women
        Says who?

Comment

The OP needs to definitely list her reasons for the opinion of the AF being "better for women". If she means there's less a chance of the bullets coming her way then it's better for everyone, not just females.

Comment

I met with a NG recruiter and even he told me Air Force is better for women because its more comfortable, you get harassed less, training isn't as difficult, and being the newest branch they have nicer equipment and facilities than the Army. I don't really care about most of those things. I was also told for schooling, rank advancement, and camaraderie are best in the National Guard. I can take harassment and can hack with the best of them at BT in the Army. What I am concerned with most is the quality of life for my family. I am a mother of two, my family will most likely need on base housing and good insurance. I want to finish my education with the most help possible. Being a health professional, the bullets won't matter either way since I hope to be stationed in a hospital or medical unit. I asked the question because I am going to be the sole provider for my family and want to know the best path to take. I am honestly leaning towards National Guard, but haven't yet made the decision.

Comment

I understand they are very different, its those differences I would like to be more aware of.

Comment

After your initial training which is 10 weeks at Basic Training (usually preceeded by a week or two at reception) you will then have follow up training for your specific MOS (job) at AIT. - This can last from a few weeks to a few months depending on the job you select. NO, your children will not go with you and live on the 'base' where your training is at, that housing is for the AD (full time) Army.

The National Guard (barring deployments) is roughly a one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year (annual training) committment and does NOT provide base housing. You would want to secure civilian employment to 'pay your bills' as the pay for the National Guard is 'full time pay' at training but then when you return, you are only paid for the the days you serve (2 days a month). I cannot speak on how 'good' the health insurance is.

If you are a single mother, you will be required to complete a Family Care Plan outlining who will care for your children while at training. You do NOT have to give up or transfer any type of 'custody' just have a designated guardian for training and if 'called up' for an emergency or, of course, deployments. Being a single parent will not 'get you out' deployments or training, which is why you are required to make arrangements for care prior to being allowed to enlist. Your State TAG will then approve (or disapprove) a waiver for you to enlist as a single mother.

Full time Air Force would give you the benefits you are seeking but both Army and Air National Guard accept single mothers with different cut-off ages for the applicant but both requiring approval from the TAG through a Family Care Plan and waiver.

I enlisted as a single mother in the Army National Guard 3 yers ago and have not put up with any 'harassment'; there is the possibility in any branch, but not necessarily a 'sure thing' either.
                Last edited by Chris36; July 31st, 2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

You won't get onbase housing with the NG. It is a part time gig, not a full career.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                    Says who?
                    Yeah really. Women are treated like queens in all branches.

Also, Active Duty Guard positions (since that is what is in the thread title) are not anything you sign up for during enlistment. They have to be applied for like you would a civilian job after you complete BT/AIT.
                    Last edited by SteveLord; July 31st, 2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I met with a NG recruiter and even he told me Air Force is better for women because its more comfortable, you get harassed less, training isn't as difficult, and being the newest branch they have nicer equipment and facilities than the Army.
                      Oh...I see. How much time did he serve in the air force?

Comment

Working...
                      X