Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard vs. Navy Reserves

Hello everyone,
    I am looking into both the National Guard and the Navy Reserves. I am currently a full time college student and plan to finish my Associate of Arts degree in Spring 2014. What are the benefits of joining the National Guard instead of the Navy Reserves? I want to continue to attend school full time while being able to give back to my community and serving others. I eventually want to get my bachelors and masters degree in public health and social work.

Re: National Guard vs. Navy Reserves

Originally posted by TheOxford1990 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am looking into both the National Guard and the Navy Reserves. I am currently a full time college student and plan to finish my Associate of Arts degree in Spring 2014. What are the benefits of joining the National Guard instead of the Navy Reserves? I want to continue to attend school full time while being able to give back to my community and serving others. I eventually want to get my bachelors and masters degree in public health and social work.
    Identify your state.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
      Identify your state.
      I am a 22 year old African American female living in South Carolina.

Comment

No one can answer my question?

Comment

One is Army the other is Navy.....you're not really asking very specific questions.

Comment

I've been waiting for someone else to chime in but I'll give my two cents. The National Guard is much larger, has far more job opportunities, more room for advancement and offers more college benefits. The Navy Reserve has boats.

Comment

Thanks! I just meant benefits and job opportunities wise.

Comment

I have worked in recruiting for both ARNG and USNR. If you join the Guard, you'll likely have a greater range of opportunities closer to your home than the USNR can offer you (the Guard has 3,200 locations nationwide). If, later in your service, you have a civililan job opportunity in another state, being in the Guard can be beneficial because you may be able to change your state affiliation via an interstate transfer. And Guard members have access to federal AND state benefits, while USNR members only access federal benefits. Obviously, state benefits vary from state to state, but many states offer very good (and even some unusual) benefits. Finally, Soldiers in the Guard do more in their local communities and states because of the dual (state and federal) mission that the Guard has. If you have ever watched new coverage showing a American community struggling in the aftermath of a disaster and thought "I wish I could help those poor people", the Guard will give you more opportuinities to do just that. Good luck to you as you make your important decision.

Comment

Wow, thank you so much for answering, jmuir! Your response has helped solidify my decision to join the National Guard. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and give examples.

Comment

Working...
                  X