X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing in tomorrow and having second thoughts

So after a year of the recruitment process, im swearing in tomorrow. They haven't told me my MOS yet and I called today to confirm the date and asked about my MOS and they told me because of my FIRST AND ONLY OFFENSE (DUI) that I only qualify for 11 Bravo which is infantry I believe. I had some medical issues, all of which have been cleared, and had some letters of recommendations from mayors as requested by my recruiters to be submitted as waivers for my DUI. I've been going out of my way a lot to try to enlist and have been left in the dark for the most part. But this is takes the cake. Why was I told last minute? I mean I've been asking about what MOS I qualify for and they always come up with something. Like "Oh we'll take care of that as soon as this and that is taken care of..." yada yada yada...To me this is kind of shady. I scored a 61 and want to get the best MOS I can qualify for. I signed a lot of paperwork already and I guess tomorrow im gna sign the last bit fully be in. Has anyone encountered something like this? If I cant get a good MOS, can I back out and join abother branch? Thanks in advance.

Re: Swearing in tomorrow and having second thoughts

Originally posted by BSP671 View Post
    So after a year of the recruitment process, im swearing in tomorrow. They haven't told me my MOS yet and I called today to confirm the date and asked about my MOS and they told me because of my FIRST AND ONLY OFFENSE (DUI) that I only qualify for 11 Bravo which is infantry I believe. I had some medical issues, all of which have been cleared, and had some letters of recommendations from mayors as requested by my recruiters to be submitted as waivers for my DUI. I've been going out of my way a lot to try to enlist and have been left in the dark for the most part. But this is takes the cake. Why was I told last minute? I mean I've been asking about what MOS I qualify for and they always come up with something. Like "Oh we'll take care of that as soon as this and that is taken care of..." yada yada yada...To me this is kind of shady. I scored a 61 and want to get the best MOS I can qualify for. I signed a lot of paperwork already and I guess tomorrow im gna sign the last bit fully be in. Has anyone encountered something like this? If I cant get a good MOS, can I back out and join abother branch? Thanks in advance.
    A DUI is a serious offense, it shows a lot about your decision making. Regardless, I don't know if 11B is the ONLY MOS you can qualify for due to the DUI, but you getting a waiver for a DUI is a BIG deal, I thought they weren't even handing out any moral waivers. If you can only enter as 11B, then do it, later ask if you can join another MOS. Infantry isn't a bad MOS, its just hard work.

Comment

When a moral waiver is submitted, a unit commander has to sign off on it, saying he's willing to accept you into his unit with said offense. The Infantry unit may have been the only one they could get to accept you.

It sounds like your Recruiter has done a LOT of work to get you in, I certainly wouldn't have had this much patience. And now you're going to bail out? Best of luck to you.

Comment

Your experience in the infantry will depend on your attitude and what you're willing to put into it. I've greatly enjoyed my stint, though I wish I had ended up in a line company instead of in a headquarters element. If you don't want the job I'd tell you not to do it. Leave the slot open for someone who actually wants to be there.

Comment

Agree with what has been said above. If you haven't heard, the army is downsizing... They don't need you. You need to decide how important this is to you... Is it more important to serve in any capacity, or is it more important to get a different job, take a chance and possibly not serve?

Keep in mind you can always reclass to a different mos later, or pick up a secondary mos once you get to your unit and prove you aren't a slacker.

Also keep in mind that you can roll the dice with another branch, but let me tell you the others are not so forgiving. My boyfriend just enlisted in the Navy Reserves and he had to jump through hoops because he had more than 5 tickets in his lifetime...he's 36! He had to get approval from the commander just to enlist because he had one too many speeding tickets from his younger years. Also, as far as I know all other branches require a 50 minimum asvab score, so while yours is above that it's not as bright and shiny to say, the Air Force. Good luck.

Comment

You can always attempt to reclass later. They aren't handed out and you don't just acquire as many as you feel like to boost your military resume. The same rules about the needs of the military and the funds of the military apply.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I was just overwhelmed with the info given to be a day before I swear in. I've accepted it and I am excited to start my career as a 11b infantryman! I guess I was just second guessing because I wanted to utilize my score but now I am just grateful that I am even given the opportunity to become a part of our nations defense. Thanks again guys! I've enlisted already and leave for basic in the ending of October.

Comment

Congrats and welcome to the team!

Comment

Thanks! I start off as an e2 instead of an e3 since they changed the rules. Also sucks that because I'm a GED canidate, I dont get an enlistment bonus. Only high school grads do.

Comment

You were able to enlist with a GED too? You have really defied the odds. Congratulations! Don't let this opportunity go to waste!!

Comment

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Enjoy Sand Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Headstrong View Post
                        A DUI is a serious offense, it shows a lot about your decision making.
                        While I don't condone it, I don't agree with you. I would never second guess anyone with a one time DUI, especially one thats very old. One of the best officers I ever worked for had a DUI....whippty doo. In some states its not even a crime, just a traffic offense.

Comment

You're recruiter is incredible.

Comment

Working...
                          X