X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of joining the ANG!?

I've recently thought about joining the Air National Guard and have just a few concerns. First off my whole goal by enlisting is to help pay for college and get my foot in the door to get a pilot slot. (I would be working around the airplanes) I just have one concern that i think will really hurt my chances of ever flying in the Guard. (I have my private, instrument, and commercial ratings in fixed gear airplane) The thing that i think will kill my chances is i have a underage alcohol consumption ticket on my record. I know that doesn't look good, but i am still 4 years away from even thinking of getting a interview for a pilot slot. Do you think if i stayed squeaky clean and didn't get in any more trouble i may have a chance of showing how i made a mistake and learned from it? I should also mention i know a lot of the guys who fly F-16's in the guard now which can only help my situation i believe! I was just curious to what you guys think. Thanks!

Re: Thinking of joining the ANG!?

This forum is for the ARMY national guard, but someone may be able to weigh in on that ticket.

Comment

Please list the state and the EXACT statute violated.

Comment

I would be joining in South Dakota and its a under age alcohol ticket (its a non traffic violation) i have to appear in court for it and I'm sure i will have to take classes for it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy View Post
          I would be joining in South Dakota and its a under age alcohol ticket (its a non traffic violation) i have to appear in court for it and I'm sure i will have to take classes for it.
          I can't help you, unless you tell me the statute.

Comment

What do you mean statute?

Comment

What do you mean statute?
              For example, if you were charged with DUI in New Jersey, you violated statute "NJSA 39:4-50"

Comment

I believe it's 35-9-2 in South Dakota.

Comment

I believe it's 35-9-2 in South Dakota.
                  were you fingerprinted?

Comment

If you were not fingerprinted....

And get this expunged, one avenue of approach is to deny the events. The military generally does not recognize expungements for purposes of enlistment, however the reason people get caught is they run a FBI fingerprint scan and the event pops up, even though expunged. If you were not fingerprinted CJIS at the FBI wont know about the ticket, and with it expunged local police checks will not reveal it either.

If you were fingerprinted....

You could still get it expunged, but like I said CJIS at the FBI would show it.

Recommendation.....

FIrst, talk to AF recruiters without disclosing this incident and gauge how much of a factor it will be. Second, run a FBI check on yourself to confirm what is there, third with your now expert knowledge decide how you will proceed.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/cri...summary-checks

Comment

When you say underage, how old were you? 14? 20?

Comment

Ten characters.
                        Last edited by realitycheck; July 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                          Ten characters.
                          MI know that it probably has no relevance but I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                            MI know that it probably has no relevance but I was just curious.
                            I deleted what I posted but the stupid forums require "ten characters" to post.

Comment

I was 20 when it occurred and I've already told my recruiter about it. I did not get finger printered and it gets expunged after a few months but I figured the military can find out even if it gets expunged.

Comment

Working...
                              X