X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiter

I have been considering joining the National Guard for a while and I have a recruiter, but recently I started considering AD Army as well. This might be a dumb question, but should I tell my Guard recruiter that I am considering AD and visa versa? I wouldn't think that this would cause any problems, but I do not know. Thanks for your help.

Re: Recruiter

Yeah tell them both! That way, they know they have competition for your signature and will work harder to get you the MOS or schools that you want.

Comment

You might as well say so. It would help the process more than hurt it. I will say this however, if you have any doubts about NG and prefer going AD, do AD. Your chances for AD after the Guard, unless AGR, are pretty much non-existent at this time.

Comment

As a former Guardsman who switched to AD and been AD again now for nearly a decade, why the other consideration? Have you already started engaging the AD recruiter? If it is just a notion, no need to say anything until you are actually doing it and there is no problem shopping around between the branches and components before making an education decision that is best for you.

Comment

I am leaning significantly more towards AD, but have not yet been able to get in touch with an Army recruiter. I already filled out all the paperwork for NG because I originally was only considering it. I would like to get a copy of that paperwork from my Guard recruiter so I do not have to track down all the reference information again. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            As a former Guardsman who switched to AD and been AD again now for nearly a decade, why the other consideration? Have you already started engaging the AD recruiter? If it is just a notion, no need to say anything until you are actually doing it and there is no problem shopping around between the branches and components before making an education decision that is best for you.
            I originally did not consider AD because I did not like the idea of such a huge life change. Since then, I have decided that I would honestly prefer AD and that I should not fear the change the way that I used to. I was also operating under the assumption (based on what my recruiter told me) that I would be able to get a full time position within the Guard once I completed BCT and AIT. Based on my research and things posted on this forum, I have realized that those full time positions are very limited and competitive. So I decided that if I really want a full time job in the Army that I need to accept the life change that AD brings.

Comment

Fresh out of AIT; getting a full-time gig is very slim unless you are in a needed MOS. I think young people should do an AD stint because it gives them a lot of experience that will help them in the long run; plus other tangibles. I am at Fort Carson and you should drive down here to see how the AD folk operate and see that its a whole different game. WE ARE THE MAJOR LEAGUES!! lol. joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                WE ARE THE MAJOR LEAGUES!! lol. joking.
                Haha. My Dad is retired Air Force and my Step-Mom is retired Army. My Dad has wanted me to join the military since I graduated high school, so he is really happy now that I am planning on joining. He would prefer I went with the Air Force though I emailed an Army recruiter last week, but haven't received a response yet. My Guard recruiter wants me to come in because I finally got some medical documents that I have been waiting on for months. I don't know if I should go in since I am pretty sure I am going to go the AD route, but want to discuss it more with a recruiter before I make up my mind 100%. Although I cannot imagine what a recruiter could say at this point to make me shy away from AD. I am still on a path to lose weight so I have some time.

Comment

Please tell your NG Recruiter. He's likely banking on you to enlist. If you at least let him know you're going AD he can focus his attention elsewhere. Most people aren't aware of the amount of time & energy involved to build a packet and get someone to enlist. I would say, on average about 20-30 hrs is spent from point of contact to enlistment. If you figure and E-6 on Active Duty pay along with allowances, that's about $1,000 of time & "labor". I wish I could bill some of the applicants that bailed last minute for whatever reason.

End soapbox rant.

A few advantages the Guard has over AD. You can select & lock in your MOS prior to going to MEPS, AD cannot & will not do this. With AD, you're stuck with whatever is available once you've passed your ASVAB & completed your physical. I recommend everyone shop around & find out which branch best suits your needs. If you're looking for full-time, don't go Guard. As stated above, AGR positions are very few & far between.

One bit of advice if you're going AD. Do your research on MOS's, compile a list of the top 4-5 and stick to it. If it's not available on the day you're at MEPS, feel free to walk. You'll be tired and just ready to leave, willing to do whatever needed just to get out of MEPS. Stick with it until you get a job you like. You don't want to be in a miserable MOS for the next 3-4 years.

Best of luck!!!

Comment

I just emailed my NG recruiter. I don't want him to waste his time getting my information ready and sending it to MEPS. I let him know that I would contact him when I made my final decision. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                    X