X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty Questions

To all of you that have been in both AD and NG, I have a few questions regarding the two.

I am 25 and am working on completing my bachelors degree (although I am not currently attending school due to lack of funds) and I have been considering the National Guard. Aside from the basic desire to serve my country, I am also looking for experience to help me find a career later in life (assuming I do not decide to make the military a life long career.)

I originally ruled out active duty because I am greatly attached to my pets and I do not have family or friends who are willing/able to watch them long term. I know this sounds kind of pathetic, but I love my pets as if they are my children and I cannot imagine my life without them. Recently, I have been considering AD again because I have always wanted it.

So, my questions:

If I enter the Army as an E3, what are the chances I will within a semi-decent time frame, be permitted to live outside of the barracks? I don't know if it is relevant, but I am a single woman with no children.

Does the Army provide any types of pet watching services for people living in the barracks? Any foster families or something of the sort?

Other than working full time versus working one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, what is the biggest difference between AD and NG?

Sorry if these are stupid questions and for the long post. Any information is greatly appreciated as this is the most important decision I will make thus far in my life. I am ready to serve, I just need to figure out the best route for me to take.

Thanks

Re: Active Duty Questions

If I enter the Army as an E3, what are the chances I will within a semi-decent time frame, be permitted to live outside of the barracks? I don't know if it is relevant, but I am a single woman with no children.
    Most installations require you to be a NCO, so it'll be a few years.

Does the Army provide any types of pet watching services for people living in the barracks? Any foster families or something of the sort?
    No.

Other than working full time versus working one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, what is the biggest difference between AD and NG?
    Isn't that enough of a difference? You'd have to more specific in your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
      Isn't that enough of a difference? You'd have to more specific in your questions.
      I appreciate your response. I guess I do not really know how to be more specific in that question. I cannot fathom being AD because it consists of a life far from anything I have ever encountered, which is not to say that I do not want to be active duty. I have just never had my life dictated by someone else. Does your daily life look similar to the daily life of someone who works a full time job, but instead of going to a house/apartment, you would return to the barracks? What is life like in barracks (roommates, shared bathrooms/kitchens)? I guess it is human nature to be uneasy about the unknown and I would like to get as much information as possible before I make such a large commitment. I am not necessarily saying that any of these things would stop me from enlisting, but everything, even the small things, are important when considering something of such magnitude.

Comment

I was Guard for many years and now I am AD. I have witnessed E3s living off-post but that was due to no more space in the barracks (this was at Fort Campbell). They required a statement of unavailability from their Commander but is usually the exception than the norm. Sadly, I have seen junior Soldiers getting married left and right so they can move out of the barracks and earn the extra BAH. Yes, that was the primary reason instead of love.

I am at Fort Carson now and it is a nice post. With AD, we do things on a daily basis and you are a Soldier 24/7 and held accountable for all your actions and fall under the UCMJ. Since I been AD, I have learned a lot more about the Army than all my years in the NG because of the simple reason is that this is my full-time job and you have to do a lot more. Either way, both alternatives bring great perks but I would not hold off AD aspirations and plusses due to pets. Its your life and you are number one.

Comment

Working...
        X