X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Guard

I'm currently serving as an active duty Marine but I will be getting out in the next seven months. I am considering joining the guard a active duty component. I have not talk to any of the recruiter yet and would like to get information as far as the process of transitioning to the guard. If anyone could give me some input or point me into the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Joining the Guard

Originally posted by JoieJTV View Post
    I am considering joining the guard a active duty component.
    Translate that for us so we can help you better.

Comment

Hmm another AD Marine that is looking for the Ohio Guard. Or better yet, stationed in Ohio. I never knew of any Marine AD bases in Ohio when I was a Marine.

Comment

Its an I-I duty station 1st Bn 25th Mar Wpns co in Toledo, OH

Comment

Wow, you are lucky. I could never get I & I. Many of my buddies wanted to switch to go to Albany, Georgia.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

... I am considering joining the guard a active duty component.
            This doesn't make sense..... NG is not active duty and (save for select few) you only work a weekend a month, 2 weeks a summer....

Comment

at first that was my thought but I-I is not what everyone thinks of..I rather be in the fleet than doing this. Its more stressful than anywhere i have been to.

Comment

So who are the ones that works during off drill and make plans, preparation, and training prior to each drill weekend? are they active duty army?

Comment

So, any input as far as me joining in the national guard?or should I try my luck as far as going to the army?

Comment

So who are the ones that works during off drill and make plans, preparation, and training prior to each drill weekend? are they active duty army?
                    I was National Guard and now I am active Army and they are two different animals. National Guard is title 32 and drills once a month and two weeks a year and could be called up for emergencies and in time of war (federalized in which they are then title 10). The full-timers that work at drill are people who were in the Guard for a while and applied for those competitive full-time slots. They are called AGR (Active Guard Reserve). You cannot join the Guard as AGR. You have to join as a part-timer at first and there is no guarantee that you will get an AGR position. Sometimes, people wait many years to go AGR.

There are also other types of full-timers called technicians but that is another topic. The point is that you cannot join the Guard or Reserves in an active capacity. Unless you attempt to go to a AGR position while in the active component and that is a hit and miss and very long process as well.

Comment

So, any input as far as me joining in the national guard?or should I try my luck as far as going to the army?
                      If you want to remain in an active capacity and would not be able to remain in the Marine Corps; then I suggest you pursue going to the active Army. You need to talk to an active duty recruiter at their recruiting station.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                        I was National Guard and now I am active Army and they are two different animals. National Guard is title 32 and drills once a month and two weeks a year and could be called up for emergencies and in time of war (federalized in which they are then title 10). The full-timers that work at drill are people who were in the Guard for a while and applied for those competitive full-time slots. They are called AGR (Active Guard Reserve). You cannot join the Guard as AGR. You have to join as a part-timer at first and there is no guarantee that you will get an AGR position. Sometimes, people wait many years to go AGR.

There are also other types of full-timers called technicians but that is another topic. The point is that you cannot join the Guard or Reserves in an active capacity. Unless you attempt to go to a AGR position while in the active component and that is a hit and miss and very long process as well.
                        Technically you can enlist directly into AGR but it is HIGHLY unlikely. Also, don't forget about mil techs.

Comment

mil techs?

Comment

mil techs?
                            "Dual Status Technicians". You are a one weekend a month guy like a traditional reservist but you work in a GS government civilain capacity for the military organization. You are essentially a civilian but still play army. Guard techs wear a uniform still, while USAR techs wear civilian clothes. Its a really weird animal to someone coming off active duty. I work with an E-6 who is a GS-11 during the week (still wears a uniform) and then there is an O-3 down the hall who is only a GS-09.

AGR traditionally will offer enlisted folks a better paycheck. It is not common to see an enlisted guy as a GS-12 or higher.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                              Technically you can enlist directly into AGR but it is HIGHLY unlikely. Also, don't forget about mil techs.
                              Yes, that is true but I never saw that happen in all my years in the Guard and I also mention about technicians in my post. I just did not elaborate on them.

OP, here is a link showing the military ranks and their GS equivalent.

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...comparison.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X