X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a few questions.

In college now, want to join the NG for benefits, the training, and the pride that I will get from serving my country, but I have a few questions.

(1 )I知 going to put college on hold while I am in BCT and AIT and then resume when I return home. I've already got a few student loans I need to pay back and I値l have more before I知 finished with college. How does the SLRP work and can I get that and have my future schooling paid for as well?

(2) I've also been looking at the job list and notice that the MOS I want is not available in my state (Washington), can I join the NG in another state (Oregon) while residing in my current state? I have a few months before I plan on talking to a recruiter, so I will be looking at the job board in a few months, but I壇 like to know just in case.

(3)Lost 29 lbs already and still have at least another 20 to go before I知 ready, but I致e been hitting the gym a lot. I hate push ups (yes, I know I値l have to do a lot) and while I've increased the amount I can do, I知 still a few shy of the minimum. My question is, is there another exercise or weight lifting routine I can use to increase the amount of push ups I can do, besides just doing push ups? I still plan on doing them, but I壇 rather find something else I can do that I may actually enjoy, especially because I love weight lifting.

(4)Running is of course a big part of BCT and while I am no fan of cardio, I do it on a daily basis. Does anyone know of a routine that could help me reduce my run time?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer any questions you can.

Re: Just a few questions.

OP, answers are in bold....

Originally posted by WAS View Post
    In college now, want to join the NG for benefits, the training, and the pride that I will get from serving my country, but I have a few questions.

(1 )I’m going to put college on hold while I am in BCT and AIT and then resume when I return home. I've already got a few student loans I need to pay back and I’ll have more before I’m finished with college. How does the SLRP work and can I get that and have my future schooling paid for as well? You can get SLRP in your contract. The way it works is that it pays a portion of your debts once annually until A) It's all paid or B) you reach the monetary limit (I believe its 40k... I could be off). You still have to make your monthly payments but you are looking at being paid off in 4-5 years versus 10-15. Once in and qualified, you will be eligible for STA and FTA which *more often than not* when combined, will pay for school 100%.

(2) I've also been looking at the job list and notice that the MOS I want is not available in my state (Washington), can I join the NG in another state (Oregon) while residing in my current state? I have a few months before I plan on talking to a recruiter, so I will be looking at the job board in a few months, but I’d like to know just in case. Yes, you can join the NG in any state you like but be advised, it is ON YOU to get to and from drill monthly.

(3)Lost 29 lbs already and still have at least another 20 to go before I’m ready, but I’ve been hitting the gym a lot. I hate push ups (yes, I know I’ll have to do a lot) and while I've increased the amount I can do, I’m still a few shy of the minimum. My question is, is there another exercise or weight lifting routine I can use to increase the amount of push ups I can do, besides just doing push ups? I still plan on doing them, but I’d rather find something else I can do that I may actually enjoy, especially because I love weight lifting. Bench press, burpies and the like. Anything that will work your arms, chest and back... because you need all three for push-ups.

(4)Running is of course a big part of BCT and while I am no fan of cardio, I do it on a daily basis. Does anyone know of a routine that could help me reduce my run time? Don't just run and call it good. Look at doing 30/60s and 60/120s. Interval training is a great way to build up stamina for running.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer any questions you can.

Comment

Thank you for all the information, it will be very useful to me. Just a couple questions about your answers.

What are burpies?
      What does 30/60s and 60/120s mean?

Comment

Also, keep in mind if you join the Oregon NG but go to school in WA you likely will not be eligible for the State Tuition Assistance, only Federal which is still decent. Just FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by WAS View Post
          Thank you for all the information, it will be very useful to me. Just a couple questions about your answers.

What are burpies? YouTube for a good example. They suck.
          What does 30/60s and 60/120s mean?
          Run full speed for 30 secs, slow jog/walk 60 sec, repeat. Same with 60/120, just longer times.

Comment

Working...
          X