Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
what is the National Guards involvement in state/national emergencies? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the National Guards involvement in state/national emergencies?

Hey everyone, my name is Alex and i have recently started the track to enlisting. After speaking to my recruiter multiple times i will be shipping out to basic in late August of this year.

But before any of that happens i have a few questions.

what is the NG's involvement in emergencies?

i've always wanted to be a first responder and that is why i am drawn to the national guard rather than the army. i have been told that while every MOS responds to emergencies, MP's are the first to be called. what other MOS's get a good share of involvement in a time of a disaster or emergency such as Katrina and the Boston Bombings?

MP is my first choice as of now, but i have heard a lot of bad things about MP and i am starting to have second thoughts about that MOS.

anyone have stories about responding to an emergency in your area? or any information about the NG, or MP would be very much appreciated.

thanks everyone!

Re: what is the National Guards involvement in state/national emergencies?

So you spoke to a recruiter numerous times and from that you are shipping out? Did you take the ASVAB and medical tests? Your post shows you are lacking a lot of crucial information? Give us some background about yourself? College? Working? Etc.

Comment

The NG isn't a first responder agency. If that's what your goals are, then look towards EMT/Fire/Police.

As far as how your state utilizes the NG will really vary. As far as MP, it has its pro's and con's as does any MOS.

Comment

Security presence, traffic control, manual labor and supply/water delivery are probably the most common roles. I've done them all for flood relief and airport security. And they can be fulfilled by nearly any MOS. Humvees and heavy trucks are resources that most units have access to. Choppers are more limited, but more valuable assets.

On both state missions I have done, there was nothing quick about it in terms of the response. In the airport, we were relieving another unit. For the floods, we waited all day for orders to come in and then drove across half the state and it took multiple stops until we were at our final destination. Coordination between local authorities and military is no easy task and your mission changes constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          Security presence, traffic control, manual labor and supply/water delivery are probably the most common roles. I've done them all for flood relief and airport security. And they can be fulfilled by nearly any MOS. Humvees and heavy trucks are resources that most units have access to. Choppers are more limited, but more valuable assets.

On both state missions I have done, there was nothing quick about it in terms of the response. In the airport, we were relieving another unit. For the floods, we waited all day for orders to come in and then drove across half the state and it took multiple stops until we were at our final destination. Coordination between local authorities and military is no easy task and your mission changes constantly.
          +1. When I was activated for Operation Noble Eagle, I recall attending some sort of FEMA class at our State Armory because during a catastrophe a team of members of the Guard work with those agencies so nobody is stepping on each other's toes; it illustrates who takes the lead for what major event, etc. I just did force protection after 9/11 for the Connecticut Guard.

Comment

yes i have taken the ASVAB, today i went into his office and filled out all of the info and will be attending the medical tests on monday. he offered me the position of JAG and i accepted it because it had a nice bonus and my MOS doesn't really matter because i will be doing ROTC all throughout college. (i will be skipping the first semester of college to attend BCT/AIT and then will resume during the second semester with ROTC). after ROTC and my degree is accomplished i will get another contract. the reason i was asking about emergency response is because during ROTC i become non-deployable and would still like to serve and protect my country and state.

sorry about the lack of information i hope this makes things clearer for you, thanks for the heads up!

scored an 80 on my asvab in case you were looking for that sort of info too

Comment

Working...
            X