X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting my gun permit in California

I'm a security guard working full time right now while waiting for the MOS I want to open up. If I get a gun permit in California, I'd be making more money. My question is that if I don't get a permit now, will I get one at BCT? If yes, I'd rather wait to save money on my part.

Re: Thinking about getting my gun permit in California

No such permit is issued during BCT. You can always use the money earned from BCT/AIT to get your permit and a nice firearm to go with it when you get back.
    Last edited by SteveLord; June 26th, 2013, 04:40 AM.

Comment

So even if I finish BCT and AIT, I'll still have to go through the gun permit process in California either way?

Comment

Yes. Weapon handling in the civilian and military worlds are completely different. However, you may be able to waive any required training classes after showing documentation that you've completed BCT. I believe Iowa does this. YMMV.

Comment

thanks for the replies. this has been very helpful for me.

Comment

In California you will be required to sacrifice a first born son before they will issue a concealed carry license. Best of luck to you. In AZ I sat through an hour of power point then took a test and got my CCW. The instructor waived the practical exercise (shooting test) because of my military status. Now you don't have to have a permit at all in AZ to conceal carry. For armed security guard license I imagine its not very easy to obtain in CA.

Comment

I am active duty Army and in the last 9 years when I moved from Connecticut to Tennessee to Alabama to Georgia to Colorado (also was stationed overseas during sometime), I had to pay for and go through the permit process in each state. I have had carrying permits in three of the above states that I listed and in Colorado, it took the longest for me to get an appointment so they could take my fingerprints. Being military helps with the approval process but it is no guarantee but the point is that you will have to apply and pay like everyone else for a permit (CCW aka carrying concealed weapon) and that the military does not provide gun permits (as others have stated).

When you are active duty and want to bring your weapon on post, you need to have your weapon registered by having your commander approve your request form and submitted at base registration. Especially for people who live on post and do not want to store their private weapons in the company's arms room.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 26th, 2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X