Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial enlistment term's effect on continuing service later

Hi folks,

I have a career/contract/re-enlistment related question that I'd appreciate some information on... (I'm very strong leaning towards NPS enlistment, but am doing my 'independent of recruiter' homework to make sure that I make the best choices for myself when the time comes)

If somebody enlists and fulfills (or is nearing fulfillment of) the active/drilling portion of their contract (the initial 6 of a '6+2' enlistment, for example), what are their options for actively continuing their career instead of entering IRR status?

I assume there is a way to continue in "active reserve" status (or whatever the correct term is when you are drilling and doing the yearly training with your unit) in order to actively continue your career instead of becoming IRR? How does that work?

Can you do so (at that time) without extending your overall service obligation? For example, in the case of the 6+2 enlistment example, nearing the end of the 6, could you choose to continue active/drilling status for those last two years of the initial obligation without being forced at that time to extend the overall obligation past the 8 years of the initial contract?

I realize at some point you have to re-enlist to stay in (and that there are all sorts of benefit/bonus considerations to take into account both at enlistment and eventual re-enlistment time).

Thanks!

Re: Initial enlistment term's effect on continuing service later

Originally posted by dogjutsu View Post
    Hi folks,

I have a career/contract/re-enlistment related question that I'd appreciate some information on... (I'm very strong leaning towards NPS enlistment, but am doing my 'independent of recruiter' homework to make sure that I make the best choices for myself when the time comes)

If somebody enlists and fulfills (or is nearing fulfillment of) the active/drilling portion of their contract (the initial 6 of a '6+2' enlistment, for example), what are their options for actively continuing their career instead of entering IRR status?

I assume there is a way to continue in "active reserve" status (or whatever the correct term is when you are drilling and doing the yearly training with your unit) in order to actively continue your career instead of becoming IRR? How does that work?

Can you do so (at that time) without extending your overall service obligation? For example, in the case of the 6+2 enlistment example, nearing the end of the 6, could you choose to continue active/drilling status for those last two years of the initial obligation without being forced at that time to extend the overall obligation past the 8 years of the initial contract?

I realize at some point you have to re-enlist to stay in (and that there are all sorts of benefit/bonus considerations to take into account both at enlistment and eventual re-enlistment time).

Thanks!
    You'll have many opportunities to re-enlist (usually with some sort of cash bonus). The number of years you tack on will be up to you and your unit's readiness NCO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
      You'll have many opportunities to re-enlist (usually with some sort of cash bonus). The number of years you tack on will be up to you and your unit's readiness NCO.
      Thanks for the reply. So is re-enlistment sometime before or at the end of your original "active" portion of your commitment the only mechanism by which you'd continue "active" instead of at that point becoming IRR?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So is re-enlistment sometime before or at the end of your original "active" portion of your commitment the only mechanism by which you'd continue "active" instead of at that point becoming IRR?
        Yes. It will be between 365 and 60 days prior to the end of your original obligation of 6 years.

Comment

I recall (and someone correct me if that is no longer the case) but when I re-enlisted and wanted the GI Bill Kicker, I had to extend my contract for a specific amount of years. I believe it was 5 years at that time.

Comment

I think they want the full 6 for any bennies nowadays. SLRP for example came about after I originally enlisted and I was told I need to do 6 more if I ever wanted it.

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

Comment

Hi folks,

This kind of threw me. You don't get to decide what kind of enlistment you come in under. If you are Prior Service, you are prior service. You can't "choose" NPS enlistment simply because the bonuses may be better...

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                  This kind of threw me. You don't get to decide what kind of enlistment you come in under. If you are Prior Service, you are prior service. You can't "choose" NPS enlistment simply because the bonuses may be better...
                  Sorry, poorly worded -- intent was just to provide the information that I'm NPS (in case that isn't obvious!)

Comment

Working...
                  X