Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
I ship for basic in 2 weeks and have no desire to go WHat can i do? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happens if you refuse to ship for basic training/AIT?

I could be wrong, but I believe that if you have an extenuating circumstance then you can delay shipping to Basic. For instance, a time crunch to get your fathers affairs in order. It would also give you time to start the new job, get your feet wet and established prior to shipping out. It is against the law for them not to hire you, or fire you due to your enlistment.

So knowing that there are options such as these, does that change how you feel? If not, then I suspect it is pre-basic jitters (which would be natural) and/or a change of heart. The question that comes up is what does commitment mean? Having signed a contract, raised your right hand and sworn an oath. Your the only one that can answer that for you. But something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
      The question that comes up is what does commitment mean?
      It means he does what he wants when he wants to do it, regardless of its repercussions on others. I think that's what they teach them nowadays.

Comment

I suggest you suck it up, go to RSP and talk with your cadre about delaying your ship date. That will give you time to sort out your personal affairs and check out this new job offer. What happens if the job sucks? Now you are stuck in a shitty job after throwing your military opportunity away. I think you can be in RSP for up to a year before either being forced out or shipping.

Remember RSP is NOT the Army. I was stuck in RSP for 7 months before I finally shipped out, and the ONLY time I ever questioned joining was on a couple of RSP drill weekends. Once you get to Basic and AIT, things get 1000 times better. Give yourself some time to work through the crap at home, and then experience real-life Army. You can always quit once you get to Basic if you decide its really not for you, but if you quit now I think you will always regret never at least trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
          You will be discharged. You will not receive any punishment.

But, your discharge will be negative. It will be a Uncharacterized discharge, due to Delayed Entry Program (DEP). So, if you decide sometime in the future that you made a mistake and want to try and enlist in the military again. You will find it a difficult process.
          True true true, but it is always fun to tell people that the police are coming with a warrant for their arrest...since BCT are active duty orders.

Seriously, you skip basic they have every right to come snatch you up.....

Comment

Working...
          X