X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some insite

Hello im 18 and i cant get a job so i was going to go into the guard or something.and i saw a local job for a infantryman the ? i have is do you do the 15+ weeks of training local or in your state or do you get moved somewhere else?
    Last edited by CADBoy95; June 16th, 2013, 11:51 PM.

Re: Need some insite

If you're able to join the National Guard, you would be sent to either SC, GA, MO or OK for Basic Combat Training. After completing BCT you could stay at that site (Infantry stays in GA) or be sent to a base in another State for your job training. After you complete the training, you return to your home and your obligation is one weekend per month & two weeks in the summer.

The first step is to ensure that you qualify before you get to far ahead of yourself.

Comment

The Guard should not be seen as the ultimate solution to you not being able to find a job. The role is PART TIME. And so is the money. It is nothing you can live off of at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        The Guard should not be seen as the ultimate solution to you not being able to find a job. The role is PART TIME. And so is the money. It is nothing you can live off of at all.
        While I concur with this 100%, I would like to play the other side, and say the guard can pay for schooling in a area that CAN get you a job.

Comment

Right. And I concur with that path. However, that doesn't necessarily produce results anytime soon.

When I see a post that literally says "Can't get a job, going to go in the guard or something..." the OP needs to be advised about the reality of the financials associated with joining and serving. If they really are at a dead end and need full time pay...then they should seek one of the active branches.

Comment

Originally posted by CADBoy95 View Post
            Hello im 18 and i cant get a job so i was going to go into the guard or something.and i saw a local job for a infantryman the ? i have is do you do the 15+ weeks of training local or in your state or do you get moved somewhere else?

The insight I can provide is that you need to decide if permanent employment and pay is something you want to do part-time or full. If you go Guard/Reserve as an E-1, you will earn about 200 bucks a month. If you go active, you can earn about $1500 bucks a month starting. Both paths provide education entitlements and on the active-side, you will get free medical and dental for a small monthly fee.

Here are the charts.

http://www.militaryrates.com/militar...e1_e5_2013.cfm

http://www.navycs.com/2012-military-pay-chart.html
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
              Right. And I concur with that path. However, that doesn't necessarily produce results anytime soon.

When I see a post that literally says "Can't get a job, going to go in the guard or something..." the OP needs to be advised about the reality of the financials associated with joining and serving. If they really are at a dead end and need full time pay...then they should seek one of the active branches.
              Not to mention that 50% of the time for paygrades below E5, soldiers are spending almost all of their drill check traveling to drill. I was lucky to break even until I commissioned.

The National Guard is not an answer to the question, "how do I improve my financial situation?"

It's more "I already have a steady job and a reliable mode of transportation, how can I serve my country and community?"

That's just the honest truth of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                Not to mention that 50% of the time for paygrades below E5, soldiers are spending almost all of their drill check traveling to drill. I was lucky to break even until I commissioned.

The National Guard is not an answer to the question, "how do I improve my financial situation?"

It's more "I already have a steady job and a reliable mode of transportation, how can I serve my country and community?"

That's just the honest truth of it.
                That should be a marketing slogan on a billboard, Sir.

Comment

Working...
                X