Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Opinion on deployment to Afghan. now that things are winding down. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on deployment to Afghan. now that things are winding down.

Hello everyone,

I'm 20 years old and I've been thinking of joining the guard. I like the state responsibilities side of the guard and I want to be in a position to protect my country. My question is this: What do you think the probability of deployment is at this point in the Afghan war? By the time I'm done with BCT/AIT it will be most likely Jan. 2014. If it helps, I'm thinking of a Paralegal MOS.

I would just like some insight from those of you already in the military.

Thank you.

Re: Opinion on deployment to Afghan. now that things are winding down.

Afghanistan looks like a slim possibility. Syria on the other hand......

Is a deployment to a combat zone a concern? If it is, you probably shouldn't be joining.

Comment

We're not exactly the peacekeeping arm of the government. Even if you get into a non-combat MOS, your job is still to support the boots on the ground and chances are if ANY deployment comes up your ticket could get called.

It's always a possibility as part of the military family.

Comment

It is amazing that you were 11 years old when I fought in Iraq

Your posts are somewhat vague that one may presume that you concerned about deploying or not deploying. Deployments for a unit all depends on cycle and timing. You may go to a unit that has already completed a deployment and may not have another one for about three to four years but humanitarian missions may pop-up.

With the lack of pertinent information, any probability is 50/50 if you are in the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          It is amazing that you were 11 years old when I fought in Iraq

Your posts are somewhat vague that one may presume that you concerned about deploying or not deploying. Deployments for a unit all depends on cycle and timing. You may go to a unit that has already completed a deployment and may not have another one for about three to four years but humanitarian missions may pop-up.

With the lack of pertinent information, any probability is 50/50 if you are in the service.
          I wouldn't mind deploying, but I would like to attend school after BCT/AIT so I asked out of curiosity. Can you clarify on what kind of humanitarian missions?

Comment

Originally posted by salimocasio View Post
            I wouldn't mind deploying, but I would like to attend school after BCT/AIT so I asked out of curiosity. Can you clarify on what kind of humanitarian missions?
            Kosovo, Africa (to name a few), or whatever disaster may happen in your state that requires call-up.

Comment

Latest news on Afghanistan

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...rly-20-percent

http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=16279 <--My unit is on the list. Third time in four years.

Comment

Chief, who would be the POC for augmentees, if any? I NEED that Airbone patch if I'm to re-up active.

Comment

Airborne patch? How would you need that to re-up? The patch does not mean you are airborne qualified.

Comment

You are correct, what I am meaning to say, is I need to become Airbone Qualified. That combined with my MOS and they'll take me for active.

Comment

Either your unit can pay you to go to airborne school or if your DD368 is approved to go active; then you can probably get that in your contract. A fellow Chief that I know is PCSing to Bragg and he was able to get airborne before he reports and he is 38 years old.

Comment

I'm talking about after ETS. But I will work my unit next week when the FY starts.

Comment

To be honest I'm ready for a deployment. I've been with my unit for a year and 5 months and I haven't been on one yet, Only thing that has happened is my unit switched to a different command.

Comment

17 months isn't all that long, as you should surely know if you've polled your fellow members of your unit. If you fulfill your contract, I'm sure something will pop up, whether it's with your unit, within your state, or elsewhere.

Comment

The thing is the combat deployments are winding down and everyone is trying to get one before its over. I think Kuwait will be available for a while and remember Africom is a humanitarian deployment.

Comment

Working...
                              X