Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it easy to switch states while in the Guard?

I am seriously looking at joining but I currently live in Ohio and I wish to attend college in Texas (in two years). I have been getting split responses from people on the subject, some are telling me that the process is relatively simple and is just a matter of talking to the right people and filling out the right paper work. Others are telling me that it is a complicated and annoying process that is difficult to get through. I would just like someone to clear it up for me an give me a straight answer. As of now the best answer I have gotten is from a guy I know who is a retired Air Force Reserves squadron commander, he told me that the process itself isn't difficult per say but the issue comes with the unit you want to transfer to and whether they will accept you. And if this is the case then I would imagine it would be hard to find a unit near A&M (where I want to go) who is open enough.

Re: Is it easy to switch states while in the Guard?

I'll second this question. I'm supposed to be enlisting under OCS option but with masters school applications coming up I'm not sure where it'll take me but am sure that I'd rather not join than be told that I cant go to whatever masters school (in whatever state) that accepts me. As nealy a complete civilian I don't like the idea of my whole life, literally my access to professional education and therefore professional employment, might hang on the whim of some thumbsucker with a arts degree in history, a hard on for power and the desire to keep other soldiers from making something of themselves. I have to believe that the NG realizes its members are 10% soldiers and 90% civilians (38 days / 365 days ≈ .10). Surely they know that if their members civilian lives aren't in order (such as might happen if they need to move) then their performance will soon be suffering. They'd surely let the member move unless they're scheduled for deployment soon perhaps (this would be the smart thing to do anyways)...

Anyone with answers to the Taxman question?? to include OCS training as well
    Last edited by etsu81; June 4th, 2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

An interstate transfer (IST) is a relatively simple process. Every state has an IST coordinator that helps you make the transition happen. I have known many people in the past that have done an IST with little issue and a few with issues. Usually the few that have issues have trouble following directions.

Comment

Can you IST during OCS training and join up with OCS training in the receiving state (without restarting OCS)?

Comment

Originally posted by etsu81 View Post
          I'll second this question. I'm supposed to be enlisting under OCS option but with masters school applications coming up I'm not sure where it'll take me but am sure that I'd rather not join than be told that I cant go to whatever masters school (in whatever state) that accepts me. As nealy a complete civilian I don't like the idea of my whole life, literally my access to professional education and therefore professional employment, might hang on the whim of some thumbsucker with a arts degree in history, a hard on for power and the desire to keep other soldiers from making something of themselves. I have to believe that the NG realizes its members are 10% soldiers and 90% civilians (38 days / 365 days ≈ .10). Surely they know that if their members civilian lives aren't in order (such as might happen if they need to move) then their performance will soon be suffering. They'd surely let the member move unless they're scheduled for deployment soon perhaps (this would be the smart thing to do anyways)...

Anyone with answers to the Taxman question?? to include OCS training as well
          There is a lot about your above comments that I don't like, I'm going to use a little restraint. If you are that concerned about your professional education and professional employment (both really important) being hindered by OCS and the NG in general I'm going to recommend you don't join. Complete a masters, get that job you want then re-evaluate if the NG is something you want to be a part of. We may be "part time" but that certainly does not equate to 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by etsu81 View Post
            Can you IST during OCS training and join up with OCS training in the receiving state (without restarting OCS)?
            This is a tricky one, and one I was going to try and attempt myself. The short answer is Yes it is possible, but it is highly unlikely. (Keep in mind my comments are centered around the Traditional program).

Every state runs their Traditional programs different. They all have the same POI to complete, but their training schedules differ and states arrange the course differently. If you say started in TN and then wanted to switch to AL or GA in the middle of Phase II, AL or GA likely is not at the same point in training that you are. They may have completed requirements that you haven't or vice versa, so you couldn't just pick up and go. You might even have to sit out and wait for the next year to re-start Phase II if you had no choice but to move. **It's in your best interest to do an IST BEFORE you ever start OCS.**

The other option is to begin OCS, complete an entire Phase (say you complete Phase I) and THEN go for an IST before you start the next phase. At the end of any given Phase everyone is on equal playing ground. You could "possibly" do the same before beginning Phase III, but that too would be tricky since state's have already slotted their soldiers for O-grade slots at that point. So again my advice starred above is the best option. It gets too difficult once you're in the queue.

Comment

IST is a process like anything else in the NG. Speak to an IST coordinator and find a unit where you want to go. Be mindful that the process can take... a while, and it is not guaranteed.

Comment

Keep it civil and refrain from comments that degrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                  There is a lot about your above comments that I don't like, I'm going to use a little restraint. If you are that concerned about your professional education and professional employment (both really important) being hindered by OCS and the NG in general I'm going to recommend you don't join. Complete a masters, get that job you want then re-evaluate if the NG is something you want to be a part of. We may be "part time" but that certainly does not equate to 10%.
                  Indeed. Senior NCOs and officers especially are constantly juggling civilian and military responsibilities.

Comment

The IST process has gotten a lot harder since we no longer need bodies like we have in the past years with Iraq. I have IST multiple times and take my word for it right now.....the best way to do it is to go out and VISIT UNITS. Do not rely only the IST coordinator to find you a slot, which is the hard part. If you make a good impression on folks there are ways to make room. If you have a low density MOS you also may want to visit the chiefs of those branches in those states, for example, if you are a paralegal you best better stop by the state SJA and if they have on the senior state NCO at JFHQ. If you are a chaplain assistant, go see the state chaplain...and so on. Pencils both write and erase the manning roster, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I just inquired on this myself a day or two ago. The response I received from the state I would transfer to said that all I would have to do is request the process from my IST coordinator. It is all really up to your unit is what I have been told...If the Unit is ok with letting you go, there is a vacancy in the state you are going etc. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dcsti22 View Post
                        I just inquired on this myself a day or two ago. The response I received from the state I would transfer to said that all I would have to do is request the process from my IST coordinator. It is all really up to your unit is what I have been told...If the Unit is ok with letting you go, there is a vacancy in the state you are going etc. Good luck!
                        Don't give advice about things you don't know PFC...it is almost the exact opposite. Your unit is unable to stop an IST from happening unless they are within a certain window of orders for federal service. Slots are the main issue, which is why it is always best to go out and MEET UNITS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                          Don't give advice about things you don't know PFC...it is almost the exact opposite. Your unit is unable to stop an IST from happening unless they are within a certain window of orders for federal service. Slots are the main issue, which is why it is always best to go out and MEET UNITS.
                          Mr. Incognito, the PFC does have a point, I know what you are saying, but at the same time if a unit doesn't want to let you go for whatever reason or that AGR SFC back at the unit level just happened to be an $&@hole, you might have problem going thru the whole IST process....

Comment

So what my AF friend said was true basically, although he made it out like it was a bit more complicated. Does anyone know what MOS are in demand in Texas? I was thinking about infantry just because it sounds like it is in demand and I don't want a desk job.

Comment

Infantry is generally easy to find. And a 2 week school will get you MOSQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X