Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enlisting in the war zones?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Enlisting in the war zones?

    I was curious to know if anyone knows any circumstances such as in OIF or Desert Storm of any civilians working contracts ever reenlist in the armed forces or NG while in country? I was wondering if they allowed this or if they had to ship back to the states and look around for a recruiter. I was offered on the vessels a job with Merchant Marines, because it was time of war. The Bosun mate came by and asked me if I was interested in shipping over to Merchant Marine from my contracting job on board these vessels. I didn't want to go that route as a Merchant Seaman so I declined, but wondered if the armed forces recruited civilians in Saudi Arabia or Iraq right there in country.

  • #2
    Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

    Currently-serving Soldiers reenlist in theater all the time. That's not remarkable or uncommon. It's not possible for someone with no current military status to enlist overseas for two main reasons:
    1. No recruiters available to do the processing.
    2. No MEPS to do the screening.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

      You mean to say that they couldn't put you on active duty and handle up the screening there? They couldn't use an officer to sign you up? Or a medical center to give you a basic medical review?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

        Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
        You mean to say that they couldn't put you on active duty and handle up the screening there? They couldn't use an officer to sign you up? Or a medical center to give you a basic medical review?


        No. There was no ASVAB testing center. In theater, you could go to a level/role III hospital and get class 2 physicals for SMs trying to submit a WOCS/OCS packet. There was one person I remember that was the spouse of a Soldier in Germany. He was going back to Germany to process in the Army Reserves.
        Last edited by SF Hunter; May 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM. Reason: iPhone error

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

          Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
          You mean to say that they couldn't put you on active duty and handle up the screening there? They couldn't use an officer to sign you up? Or a medical center to give you a basic medical review?
          Theoretically, these are all solveable problems, although as a practical matter it's not worth the effort for those very rare cases in which a qualified applicant wants to enlist overseas.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

            I understand that there are no ASBAV/MEPS but all that can be waived until the enlistee gets back to conus or something. Im sure a medical doctor in country could find out if the man is medically fit, or somewhere close by....or ship him off to Germany to process him. Can always put him in OJT on some predetermined and agreed upon billet, or just keep his MOS open contract till his tour with his assigned outfit in country is up. They used to Shanghai sailors for shipboard service back in the day. Can't hire a Marine in country? He's all ready there. (Guess it makes too much sense.) Maybe they should ship a recruiter or two JUST IN CASE civilians pop out of the wood works tired of cruddy contracts overseas.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

              Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
              Maybe they should ship a recruiter or two JUST IN CASE civilians pop out of the wood works tired of cruddy contracts overseas.
              What?! No. Wait till your "cruddy" overseas contract gig is up and enlist when you go back to CONUS. We have very important **** here we need to focus on logistically. Recruiting isn't one of them. BTW, how cruddy could your gig really be? Most civilian contractors over here make 150,00+ easy, tax free. Once I get back from this deployment I want to turn right around and come back as a civilian contractor.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

                Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
                I understand that there are no ASBAV/MEPS but all that can be waived until the enlistee gets back to conus or something. Im sure a medical doctor in country could find out if the man is medically fit, or somewhere close by....or ship him off to Germany to process him. Can always put him in OJT on some predetermined and agreed upon billet, or just keep his MOS open contract till his tour with his assigned outfit in country is up. They used to Shanghai sailors for shipboard service back in the day. Can't hire a Marine in country? He's all ready there. (Guess it makes too much sense.) Maybe they should ship a recruiter or two JUST IN CASE civilians pop out of the wood works tired of cruddy contracts overseas.
                This so ridiculous its not even worthy of comment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

                  Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                  What?! No. Wait till your "cruddy" overseas contract gig is up and enlist when you go back to CONUS. We have very important **** here we need to focus on logistically. Recruiting isn't one of them. BTW, how cruddy could your gig really be? Most civilian contractors over here make 150,00+ easy, tax free. Once I get back from this deployment I want to turn right around and come back as a civilian contractor.
                  Seriously. I work on the CONUS side as an Ops Analyst for a contractor, and we get so many guys that nearly refuse to stay stateside because of the benefits. If your contract is "cruddy," you need to find a new boss.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

                    Ok, my contract at the time was not cruddy, I was just using a matter of speach, however, there were far better contracts in country at the time making far better bucks, but that depends on what you do right? I won't say that I was making big bucks, but being in a situation where I couldn't spend the money, plus having no expenses and being single, I was saving alot. In comparison to what I make now and not having to be in a ridiculous combat zone away from home, ecetera....it does look kind of cruddy to me now looking back. But I upped my skills too, and returned to school for it to be a licensed Airframe and PowerPlant technician. In all honesty, the military overall was making out better than my contract when you consider all the benefits and perks, retirement. Usually a military contract pays bigger bucks but they lack the retirement and perks. When you write it all down in paper, I bet I was equivelant as maybe an E-5 when accounting for benefits. Hence why I asked this question in the first place. Did military recruit in country able bodied Americans that were in country all ready?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Enlisting in the war zones?

                      Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
                      Yup, you're probably right. I'm out of here. Not the place for me to be hanging out. I AGREE. Later. Moderators, please shut me down. Thanks.
                      I thought we shut this guy down already?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X