Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does transition from the guard to active duty work?

I am probably going to join the National Guard this summer (I am still in high school), however if I enjoy it and wish to pursue a career in active duty army how would that work? If I go active duty I would probably first want to do AROTC and graduate college so I can receive a commission which from what i understand is very possible to do with the guard. But at the same time I would want to go to Airborne school, can you get this into your commission contract or is that only for enlisted and if I were to enlist instead would I be able to get airborne school into my contract despite being previously contracted in the guard?

Re: How does transition from the guard to active duty work?

Google DD368 Conditional Release

I switched from Guard to Active during a time when it was great to do so.

Comment

Re: How does transition from the guard to active duty work?

Well, on your path that you have mentioned.....

Split Op. Do BCT between Jr/Sr year and then AIT Sr year summer. Make sure you enroll in ROTC for the Fall. Go to college and rock your 4 years. That way, on the OML, you will score high enough to get a Active Duty slot.

Now, there is no way to guarantee Active Duty in ROTC (unless you are GTG, but that is not your case). You can guarantee NG or Reserves. You just have to perform really well and get high enough on the OML rankings.... otherwise, you'll be committed to the NG or USAR.

Hooah schools like AB or AAS are not in commissioning contracts. ROTC programs get a certain number of slots yearly for those schools and the cadet rockstars get them. In turn, if you branch into a unit that requires that (think 82ND or 101ST) you will be sent at that time.

Comment

Working...
      X