X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Families and the National Guard

Hi all! I've been lurking the forums for quite some time, and while I have found extrememly valuable information here, I haven't quite found answers to what I'm looking for...

I am seriously considering joining the National Guard, but always have a hard time with the unknown. I am a 33 y.o. female with a masters degree, and getting married in a few months. My future husband is a former Marine, and currently works as a contractor for the NG. He fully understands and supports the military lifestyle. He also has been extremely supportive in my journey, and my number one fan!

There are many reasons why I know the NG would be a good fit for me. The only thing that is hard for me to grasp is the thought of starting a family after enlisting. We are getting older, so will try to start one in the next few years. My question is geared more for women with younger families (but by all means men can answer too!). The hardest part is I don't exactly know what to ask...

How hard is it to be starting out in the National Guard and starting a family at the same time? I understand I need to leave for BT and OCS, have a good chance to deploy, etc. I guess I am looking for advice on how difficult this all is, and if anyone would do it differently now that they've gone through the process. My plan would be to get through all of my BT and OCS training as quickly as possible.

I appologize if this sounds like rambling. I am looking for people to share their experiences with me, and help me to know what to expect. Is the fear of the unknown greater than the actual journey?

Thank you in advance!

Re: Families and the National Guard

Originally posted by runr View Post
    Hi all! I've been lurking the forums for quite some time, and while I have found extrememly valuable information here, I haven't quite found answers to what I'm looking for...

I am seriously considering joining the National Guard, but always have a hard time with the unknown. I am a 33 y.o. female with a masters degree, and getting married in a few months. My future husband is a former Marine, and currently works as a contractor for the NG. He fully understands and supports the military lifestyle. He also has been extremely supportive in my journey, and my number one fan!

There are many reasons why I know the NG would be a good fit for me. The only thing that is hard for me to grasp is the thought of starting a family after enlisting. We are getting older, so will try to start one in the next few years. My question is geared more for women with younger families (but by all means men can answer too!). The hardest part is I don't exactly know what to ask...

How hard is it to be starting out in the National Guard and starting a family at the same time? I understand I need to leave for BT and OCS, have a good chance to deploy, etc. I guess I am looking for advice on how difficult this all is, and if anyone would do it differently now that they've gone through the process. My plan would be to get through all of my BT and OCS training as quickly as possible.

I appologize if this sounds like rambling. I am looking for people to share their experiences with me, and help me to know what to expect. Is the fear of the unknown greater than the actual journey?

Thank you in advance!
    Personally, it doesn't sound like this is the right time in your life to be considering the military. You can be deployed on short notice for extended periods of time to nasty places where the risk of death or grievous injury is high. You would be putting your children at a significant risk of being deprived of their mother's presence for an extended (or indefinite, if you are killed) period of time and that just isn't fair to them. Unless you have no choice due to financial obligations, this just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Comment

Re: Families and the National Guard

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
      Personally, it doesn't sound like this is the right time in your life to be considering the military. You can be deployed on short notice for extended periods of time to nasty places where the risk of death or grievous injury is high. You would be putting your children at a significant risk of being deprived of their mother's presence for an extended (or indefinite, if you are killed) period of time and that just isn't fair to them. Unless you have no choice due to financial obligations, this just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Just my two cents. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Thank you for the quick reply!

I appreciate where you're coming from, but my question wasn't on if I should or shouldn't join. My question was more directed towards what's it like to start a family after joining. And asking people to share how they did it. I don't think my original post was that clear though, so I apologize for that.

Comment

Working...
      X