X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Job help

I will currently have my B.S. in Computer Engineering Technology in May 2014. If I attend BCT and then graduate OCS after I graduate college, will I be able to get a FULL-TIME position in the national guard in a different state (I am currently in KY, moving to Nebraska after graduation)?

Also how difficult is it to get a full-time position in the guard? I plan on enlisting next week at MEPS, and attending drill until BCT/OCS next may.

I would like to know because I am looking into more of a career and less of a part-time situation.

Also, what are the chances of being deployed and how often if you are full-time? My assumption is that you would not be deployed as you would stay at the base to continue your job. Although I could see that you would be shipped with your unit as a soldier/officer. This does not really influence me either way, just curious.

All information would be appreciated .

Re: IT Job help

In my honest opinion, I think Active Duty would be your best option.

Getting AGR jobs in the Guard are highly competitive and selective. For officers they are rare. 9/10 it won't be what you're exactly looking for. The Technician Program may work better for you, but again, the conditions are the same. Full-Timers deploy when their units deploy, unless they are medically unfit or "volunteered" to stay back with the Rear Detachment. So if you think you can skip out on your right of passage to the sand box and hug a laptop screen you are mistaken.

It seems to me like you have some opportunities on the civilian side after college but you're not sure if they can/will pan out; and you are hoping the Guard can be your fail-safe. I wouldn't count on that. While yes some people have had success and gotten jobs right after training, there are 1,000 other personnel that didn't. The sure fire way is to go Active Duty. They can do DEP just like we can.

Forgive me for being nosey, but what's in Nebraska? If you're going Officer and really want a full time job in the Guard, you need to have your search go Nationwide, so if you're moving for relationship reasons, I think you might want to drop that golden nugget of truth on her early.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
      In my honest opinion, I think Active Duty would be your best option.

Getting AGR jobs in the Guard are highly competitive and selective. For officers they are rare. 9/10 it won't be what you're exactly looking for. The Technician Program may work better for you, but again, the conditions are the same. Full-Timers deploy when their units deploy, unless they are medically unfit or "volunteered" to stay back with the Rear Detachment. So if you think you can skip out on your right of passage to the sand box and hug a laptop screen you are mistaken.

It seems to me like you have some opportunities on the civilian side after college but you're not sure if they can/will pan out; and you are hoping the Guard can be your fail-safe. I wouldn't count on that. While yes some people have had success and gotten jobs right after training, there are 1,000 other personnel that didn't. The sure fire way is to go Active Duty. They can do DEP just like we can.

Forgive me for being nosey, but what's in Nebraska? If you're going Officer and really want a full time job in the Guard, you need to have your search go Nationwide, so if you're moving for relationship reasons, I think you might want to drop that golden nugget of truth on her early.

You almost hit the nail on the head. What entitles going 'Active Duty' on the pay side of things. I know you get deployed when your unit does(any idea how often?), but could you elaborate a little more.

Also the DEP has been interesting as well. If I choose to sign on as DEP, I will not be able to attend drill correct? But I can change my mind prior to shipment to basic if need be with no consequences?

Comment

Full time IT gigs do exist, but they often require at least a decent amount of experience. For example, we have one open in Iowa right now, which is somewhat common for our state whether it be Army or Air.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/343235400

SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must indicate 36 months of the following type of experience:

Experience demonstrating knowledge of and skill to apply current Internet technologies, standard Internet protocols, Internet server operations and operating systems to the design of the web site.
        Experience demonstrating knowledge of Internet security principles and protocols, usability concepts, i.e. navigational aids, site architecture, knowledge management, and information delivery systems that enable all potential user to access information contained on the Web pages.
        Experience demonstrating knowledge of current Web-based application and accessibility technologies, U.S. copyright laws, accessibility factors.
        Experience demonstrating knowledge of standard database management principles and methods, and programming and scripting languages.
        Experience demonstrating skill in determining the most appropriate methods for delivering information via the Internet, design and develop Internet applications that meet the state's electronic requirements for services to internal and external audiences.
        Experience demonstrating the ability to organize work, set priorities, determine resource requirements, monitor progress and evaluate outcomes of all assigned programs.
        Experience demonstrating knowledge of visual arts, video graphic, and photographic methods and techniques as well as knowledge of the subject matter supported or depicted to plan visual products and services that interpret subject matter content.
        Experience demonstrating knowledge of the organizations' mission and functions to develop original designs, concepts, or visual styles for publications, exhibits, or presentation material.
        Experience demonstrating knowledge the ability to create visually stimulating designs from verbal or written descriptions of the item, event or issue to be depicted.

Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience: Major study – computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or course work that required the development or adaptation of computer programs and systems and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field. If education is being substituted for specialized experience, a college transcript must accompany the application or resume.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA'S), LISTED BELOW, WILL BE USED IN THE SELECTION PROCESS. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES ARE IMPORTANT TO THE ENTIRE SELECTION PROCESS AND SHOULD BE ADDRESSED SPECIFICALLY AND COMPLETELY IN THE APPLICATION.

Knowledge of and skill to apply current Internet technologies, standard Internet protocols, Internet server operations and operating systems to the design of the web site.
        Knowledge of Internet security principles and protocols, usability concepts, i.e. navigational aids, site architecture, knowledge management, and information delivery systems that enable all potential user to access information contained on the Web pages.
        Knowledge of current Web-based application and accessibility technologies, U.S. copyright laws, accessibility factors.
        Knowledge of standard database management principles and methods, and programming and scripting languages.
        Skill in determining the most appropriate methods for delivering information via the Internet, design and develop Internet applications that meet the state's electronic requirements for services to internal and external audiences.
        Ability to organize work, set priorities, determine resource requirements, monitor progress and evaluate outcomes of all assigned programs.
        Knowledge of visual arts, video graphic, and photographic methods and techniques as well as knowledge of the subject matter supported or depicted to plan visual products and services that interpret subject matter content.
        Knowledge of the organizations' mission and functions to develop original designs, concepts, or visual styles for publications, exhibits, or presentation material.
        Ability to create visually stimulating designs from verbal or written descriptions of the item, event or issue to be depicted.
        For a GS11 pay greade I would imagine they would totally avoid people fresh out of AIT and fresh out of college with no real world experience.
        Last edited by SteveLord; May 20th, 2013, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wilson View Post
          You almost hit the nail on the head. What entitles going 'Active Duty' on the pay side of things. I know you get deployed when your unit does(any idea how often?), but could you elaborate a little more.

Also the DEP has been interesting as well. If I choose to sign on as DEP, I will not be able to attend drill correct? But I can change my mind prior to shipment to basic if need be with no consequences?

Active Duty means that you are doing your job 24/7. I would say similar to a 9-5 except in the military we are not bound to those limitations. You live where they want you to and you do what is required to fulfill the Army's needs.

The military pay scale for active duty can be found here : http://www.dfas.mil/dms/dfas/militar...yTable2013.pdf

DEP means you can delay your enlistment up to one year. There is no changing your mind, once you sign on the dotted line, there's no turning back. Active Duty doesn't "drill" per say, your recruiter just checks on you constantly during that year or less before your ship date. He makes sure you are working out and staying out of trouble.

As far as deployment goes, I believe Active is supposed to deploy once every 4 years, where the National Guard and Reserve deploy every 6. There is no guarantee on that cycle though, if they want you to go, you will go.

Comment

Active Duty means that you are doing your job 24/7. I would say similar to a 9-5 except in the military we are not bound to those limitations. You live where they want you to and you do what is required to fulfill the Army's needs.

The military pay scale for active duty can be found here : http://www.dfas.mil/dms/dfas/militar...yTable2013.pdf

DEP means you can delay your enlistment up to one year. There is no changing your mind, once you sign on the dotted line, there's no turning back. Active Duty doesn't "drill" per say, your recruiter just checks on you constantly during that year or less before your ship date. He makes sure you are working out and staying out of trouble.

As far as deployment goes, I believe Active is supposed to deploy once every 4 years, where the National Guard and Reserve deploy every 6. There is no guarantee on that cycle though, if they want you to go, you will go.
            Good description and that job description that Steve posted was written awful.

OP, I am "IT" in the active Army and in the last 9 1/2 years, I been deployed for 2.9 months with months away at field exercises. NTC here I come!! I will be in the field all this summer and away for a month at Fort Irwin.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Good description and that job description that Steve posted was written awful.

OP, I am "IT" in the active Army and in the last 9 1/2 years, I been deployed for 2.9 months with months away at field exercises. NTC here I come!! I will be in the field all this summer and away for a month at Fort Irwin.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the national guard 'active duty' anyway? You can be deployed with your unit any time once you finish basic, but you only attend drill. Why not just be full time active duty (as you are active anyway), and make it your full time job?

Comment

You're misunderstanding the term "active duty". Active duty means you are on duty full time, every day of the year. In the Guard you are on duty for at the most 4 days in a month usually with the exception of your annual training in the summer. Being deployable has no connotation with being active(while they generally deploy more), it has a connotation with being in the Army period.

Chief just did say he was on active duty....this is his full time job.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the national guard 'active duty' anyway? You can be deployed with your unit any time once you finish basic, but you only attend drill. Why not just be full time active duty (as you are active anyway), and make it your full time job?
                  What?? I don't think you know what "active" means. Reserve units (like the Army Reserve and National Guard) are still on deployment schedules, and deploy often. That doesn't make them "active duty" units. "Active duty" refers to the fact that they are stationed on a military base, and work for the military as a full-time job. Contrarily, reserve units show up for drill 2-3 days a month and have civilian full-time jobs. There are about 3 billion different reasons people choose that lifestyle over active duty, just like there are as many reasons people choose active duty over reserve duty. But no, they are not close to the same thing.

Comment

DEP means you can delay your enlistment up to one year. There is no changing your mind, once you sign on the dotted line, there's no turning back.
                    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                      I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.
                      Well anyone DEP or not I'm sure if they whine, kick, and scream enough they can get out of it Sir. But I'm sure Big Army will not do so easily.

Comment

"DEP means you can delay your enlistment up to one year. There is no changing your mind, once you sign on the dotted line, there's no turning back."

This is incorrect.

In the Active Duty, the DEP program is designed to get enlistees ready for BCT (ie - they have gone to MEPS, passed and reserved a date for BCT/AIT). They go to monthly meetings and learn about soldiering. It is a non-paid status and they do not incur any TIS for this. In addition, a recruit who is in the DEP program *can* quit at any time and not ship. A recruit is not bound to the Army until they go to MEPS the 2nd time (usually the day before or day of) their ship date and swear in again.

OP, you really need to check your facts before you start posting information. This is not the first time you have put out false info.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                          What?? I don't think you know what "active" means. Reserve units (like the Army Reserve and National Guard) are still on deployment schedules, and deploy often. That doesn't make them "active duty" units. "Active duty" refers to the fact that they are stationed on a military base, and work for the military as a full-time job. Contrarily, reserve units show up for drill 2-3 days a month and have civilian full-time jobs. There are about 3 billion different reasons people choose that lifestyle over active duty, just like there are as many reasons people choose active duty over reserve duty. But no, they are not close to the same thing.

Are you simply stationed where they send you, no real choice in the matter, or can you put down a 'preference'? Also, do active duty national guard still attend drill and such?

Comment

You're misunderstanding the term "active duty". Active duty means you are on duty full time, every day of the year. In the Guard you are on duty for at the most 4 days in a month usually with the exception of your annual training in the summer. Being deployable has no connotation with being active(while they generally deploy more), it has a connotation with being in the Army period.

Chief just did say he was on active duty....this is his full time job.
                            He works for big Army. Not the Guard.

Let's make sure we're using Active Army and Active Guard/Full time Guard correctly so we don't cause confusion.
                            Last edited by SteveLord; May 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Your question was answered thoroughly by other posters in this thread. But I want to ensure that active-duty (Big Army) is far from a 9 to 5. I been doing this for nearly a decade and in my experience from E-4 to Chief; on average, I have worked from 0630 to 1800 (6pm) on a daily basis. I get up at 515am.

But we do get a lot of days off that you will not get in a civilian job. I have experienced on a monthly basis, the luxury of a four-day weekend. That really helps to deflate and relax.

Just an FYI, so you are not surprised or shocked if you go the active route.

Comment

Working...
                              X