X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently in Law enforcement

I have been a police officer in Oregon for about 2 years now and I really enjoy the job. But I still feel the strong desire to serve in the military and I think the training that the Guard would give me would be great for my job as a police officer. My questions are since I am currently a police officer and I work weekends all the time how does that coinside with weekend drill? Would I have to use my vacation time to go to drill since I do not get weekends off?

My other question is would I be able to use military leave when I would ship to basic and AIT?

I would really enjoy hearing from current LEO's who are active in the Guard.

Re: Currently in Law enforcement

6 year LEO here. I joined back in February 2012 and shipped to Benning October 2012. I was gone for a total of 16 weeks for 11B OSUT. Federal law protects your job as well as other aspects of your career. i.e. any step raises you would normally receive if you were there you still receive while on orders, etc...

Your job has to let you off for drill, training, etc...

I currently work midnight shift so my job has to let me work afternoon shift the day before I have drill so that I can wake up Saturday and be at drill on time. That make sense?

All in all it's a great thing to do while in LE, especially with all the protection received from USERRA.

Comment

Working...
    X