Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

    This post is kind of long...

    I'm not posting this to bash or by any means speak badly of guard recruiters as a whole. Just one has been an issue and cost me my enlistment. I am being 110% honest. Here is the situation...

    I'm 34, turn 35 this Saturday. I have been in the process of enlisting with the guard since the beginning of January. I have jumped over every hurdle thrown my way. I have a GED, passed well over the 50 required and scored extremely high on the AIMS. Waivers were needed for other things and all were approved. My hand tattoo was approved and I even spent over $300 to alter an old "questionable" tattoo. I am absolutely dedicated. I have busted my rear getting paperwork, driving 3 plus hours to get documents, etc etc. My recruiter has not needed to "babysit" me, I have made his job a whole lot easier by having and obtaining everything needed. Not once has he needed to remind me to do anything. I am a professional and expect the same in return. I swear it has been one thing after another. I'm 34, not 18. I have a stressful full time job (among other things) that requires focus and a child on top of all this. It has not been a walk in the park.

    From the first time I met with the recruiter, there has been inconsistencies. I have had to correct these things personally or they would not have gotten done. I would ask, don't I need this or that and he would say, "no, your good". Then I would get a call from him a week later saying he needs something right away. This happened many times and I became extremely frustrated. It was ridiculous and inconvenient as my schedule was already full. I could not drop everything at the drop of a hat. I ended up calling a different recruiter out of my area and decided to make the change. Things were not getting done and because of my age, time was running out. However, just as I was going to change, my recruiter called and gave me his game plan. I decided to give him another chance. I like the guy personally, but I had a problem with the way he handled his job.

    So, yesterday (Thursday), I went to MEPS to swear in (MEPS is closed today). Yes, it was cutting it close, but we were waiting on one more waiver. When I walked into the guard office, the sergeant asked me why I was there. I told him, "to finish processing and swear in". He had no idea I was coming. My recruiter never told him. This was the 3rd time this had happened. I would show up, tell them who sent me, and everyone in the guard office would roll their eyes. I started to see a pattern. My recruiter was suppose to meet me at MEPS, but was not there yet. In the mean time the sergeant started going over all my documents in the computer and then said, "where is your dependent waiver?". I say, "sergeant (recruiter) such and such said I don't need one". The sergeant then advised me that I absolutely do and I cannot be enlisted without one. My recruiter then showed up and began to argue with the sergeant stating why I don't need a waiver. The sergeant pulled up the regulation and proved to my recruiter why I need this. I read it as well and it clearly stated that I need one. Over the past 4 months, I had asked my recruiter on multiple occasions if I need one or not. He said, "no, you will be fine with what you have". Apparently not. Two other sergeants then got in on the conversation. They also said that I need one per the regulation. My recruiter then began arguing with the other sergeants as well. One of the sergeants told him that they could get a waiver approved the same day if they start on it immediately. Instead my recruiter continued to argue about it. I told my recruiter, "I want the waiver and let's do what ever we have to do to get it. I have to be sworn in today". He shrugged me off and continued to argue. Finally the other sergeants just ignore him. It's hard to explain the timelines, but this took up half of the day when he could have been working on waiver. Then all of a sudden, my recruiter walks past me and says "gotta go". That's it. He left. I went back into the office and the other sergeants were sitting there shaking their heads and began apologizing for my recruiters actions. They clearly understood I was being screwed. While I was out of the office, they took it upon themselves to start working on the waiver. They were calling everybody possible to get things moving and had other people coming in and out checking on things. They were doing everything in their power to help me get in. I was blown away by there heartfelt efforts. They were clearly not happy with what my recruiter had done. I started working with one of the sergeants inputing the rest of my info for enlistment..security packet and etc. He noticed that my recruiter didn't even bring the other paperwork required. He had to redo most of it and it's a good thing I keep copies of everything. Because of my situation the MEPS commander even got involved and asked me over and over if there was anything I needed. It was amazing. I never expected that to come from him. He even kept MEPS operating an hour and half past the closing time so that I could swear in once the waiver was approved. Everyone at MEPS went above and beyond what was required of them. Unfortunately the waiver never came in and they had to shut down. Once I went back in the guard office with the remaining two sergeants, I was absolutely crushed. They were angry and extremely upset that this had happened. They truly felt my upset and understood how hard I worked to get there. I'm not an 18 year old... I'm a 34 year old man with a job, child, and a lot of responsibility that is willing to change his whole life to join the guard. The recruiter made a mistake and this has cost me my enlistment. One of the sergeants called my recruiter and put him on speaker phone so we could all talk to him. The sergeant explained to my recruiter that I was not able to enlist. My recruiter actually continued to argue with the sergeant. The sergeant cut him off and asked him if there was anything he would like to say to the applicant (me)... My recruiter didn't even have the courtesy to say one word. The sergeant ended the conversation. (I haven't heard anything from my former recruiter since.) The sergeant said he is going to address this whole incident with his commanding officers and see if there is anything they can do to get me in, even though it will be past my 35th birthday. When I was leaving MEPS (after 8 hours), I was stopped by the MEPS commander and he apologized for all that had happened. He to understood the heartbreak. He advised me that he is not happy and he will be looking into it. It was nice that he said that, but I hope he means it. I will be writing a thank you letter to all the people at MEPS that helped me. Especially the two guard sergeants. They were awesome.

    Does anybody know if there is anything I could do to change this?? Are there any type of exceptions?? Can I file an "appeal" or something like that??

    I was thinking about contacting my congressman, but I'm not sure what he could even do.

    Again, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the military and the people who serve in it. Most of my family have all served in the military or are currently. I don't want to file a complaint or something like that against my recruiter. However, I have several military personnel clearly stating that his actions were the cause of me not being able to enlist. I know being a recruiter is not an easy job, in fact, I know it's a hard job and "thank less" job. If I were to do something like this in my line of work, there no question about it, I would be fired. I'm not looking to get anybody in trouble, but I will do whatever the military requires to possibly make an exception.

  • #2
    Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

    Your situation is very unfortunate. As with any profession, there are "bad apples" and it sounds like this Recruiter is in over his head. I would ask to speak with his NCOIC, 1SG and Recruiting & Retention Commander. You may not be able to get an ETP (Exception to Policy) but that's one route to take. It will also shed more light to the Recruiter's lack of professionalism.

    If you decide to go to your Congressman, it wouldn't hurt to ask others to provide statements and that would definitely draw some attention to your situation even if it doesn't get you the resolution you seek.

    Best of luck!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

      Originally posted by ruggermick View Post
      This post is kind of long...
      Unfortunately, some recruiters do not have the courage to tell someone that there will be issues with their processing and know all along they will not be able to enlist; but instead play games and appears that their incompetence is deliberate.

      Congressman is not going to change the issue and you can report your concern to your bosses. If the age limit goes back to 42 (I doubt that it would) before you turn 42, then that is your last hope.

      Good luck.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

        NYGuardRecruiter: Thank you for the recommendations. I spoke with a few people (all career military) regarding the situation and they recommended the same thing as you did, plus a few more things. They were shocked that this was allowed to happen. I have come up with a game plan and I'm going to start on it immediately. I'm not going to give up. I hope the military will see the truth and do what's right. If all else, this recruiter should be reprimanded for his negligence and lack of professionalism. Among the many other issues, who swears and argues with other sergeants in front of a recruit? Is this normal? I really doubt it. I can careless if someone curses, but even in the civilian world, you don't curse and argue in front of subordinates. I was shocked he did this in front of me.

        Chief Kemosabe: Thank you for your insight as well. In my situation there were no issues that couldn't be corrected to enlist. All my waivers were approved, medicals were cleared, etc etc etc. Everything was done according to my recruiter. I was 100% done and ready to enlist. The issue was that my recruiter originally sent off the dependent waiver/family care plan to the commander of the unit I would be assigned. We waited over a month, still nothing. He said this particular unit commander only works 3 days a month (which I also found out later was not true and dependent waivers are approved within 48 hours), so it could take a while. The next day, he told me to just get something from child support services saying I pay child support and I would not need a waiver. That next day I got him the information requested. I asked him over and over again if this was all I needed. He said, "yes, you are good to go and stop worrying". I asked him again a week prior and again, 3 days prior to MEPS and he said, "yes, you are good to go. I pulled the waiver. All is good". Then I went to MEPS and that's where the issue began. The main issue I have is that instead of arguing with all the others sergeants and etc, he could have requested the dependent waiver that day and got it pushed through as a priority given my situation. The other guard sergeants and etc told him over and over again that he/they could get it approved the same day, but there was not time to screw around. They made it crystal clear. He refused to comply and they ended up doing it anyways, but it was to late. They did the best they could. Hopefully things will work out and I don't get shrugged off. I'm not giving up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

          Originally posted by ruggermick View Post

          Again, I have nothing but respect and admiration for the military and the people who serve in it. Most of my family have all served in the military or are currently. I don't want to file a complaint or something like that against my recruiter. However, I have several military personnel clearly stating that his actions were the cause of me not being able to enlist. I know being a recruiter is not an easy job, in fact, I know it's a hard job and "thank less" job. If I were to do something like this in my line of work, there no question about it, I would be fired. I'm not looking to get anybody in trouble, but I will do whatever the military requires to possibly make an exception.
          Reading your post made me very angry mainly because I've experienced your strife--I've walked in your shoes. I sincerely wish you had come to this discussion board with your dilemna a lot sooner. At the very least I would have told you to completely cut your ties with the recruiter and found another one. It may be an extremely long, long shot but perhaps you could locate another recruiter that can shoot you down to MEPS this week provided that everything is already completed and your waivers are already approved and in hand i.e. in your packet. It is in fact only Monday and there may be a chance that you can get sworn in before your birthday.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; May 6th, 2013, 01:55 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

            Originally posted by ruggermick View Post

            ......In my situation there were no issues that couldn't be corrected to enlist. All my waivers were approved, medicals were cleared, etc etc etc. Everything was done according to my recruiter. I was 100% done and ready to enlist. The issue was that my recruiter originally sent off the dependent waiver/family care plan to the commander of the unit I would be assigned. We waited over a month, still nothing. He said this particular unit commander only works 3 days a month (which I also found out later was not true and dependent waivers are approved within 48 hours), so it could take a while. The next day, he told me to just get something from child support services saying I pay child support and I would not need a waiver. That next day I got him the information requested. I asked him over and over again if this was all I needed. He said, "yes, you are good to go and stop worrying". I asked him again a week prior and again, 3 days prior to MEPS and he said, "yes, you are good to go. I pulled the waiver. All is good". Then I went to MEPS and that's where the issue began. The main issue I have is that instead of arguing with all the others sergeants and etc, he could have requested the dependent waiver that day and got it pushed through as a priority given my situation. The other guard sergeants and etc told him over and over again that he/they could get it approved the same day, but there was not time to screw around. They made it crystal clear. He refused to comply and they ended up doing it anyways, but it was to late. They did the best they could. Hopefully things will work out and I don't get shrugged off. I'm not giving up.
            15 years ago I ran into a recruiter that told lies and blew smoke like the aforementioned. I'm not going to get into the details except to say that if I had accepted his snowjob at face value I would have been in the belly of a carrier somewhere in the South Pacific. Anyways, one lie after the next led me to the point of pulling the plug at MEPS on my own, and telling the recruiter in so may words to kick rocks while he drove me back home. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to grab the bull by the horns and control your destiny.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

              VICEROY06: I wish I had this week to continue on. Maybe I didn't word my post right, but I turned 35 this last Saturday (May 4th). This all happened on May 2nd at MEPS and it was closed on May 3rd. Yea, it's insane how some (not all of course) recruiters are allowed to show gross incompetence time and time again, yet they are not held accountable. Prime example, today I contacted one of the sergeants that tried helping me when I was at MEPS on May 2nd... I asked him if he had heard anything from the higher ups regarding my situation. He told me that he spoke with them and they said there was nothing they could do to make an exception. I was happy he was straight forward and honest with me. Then I ask him if there is anything I could do by maybe coming from a different angle. He told me that it's going to be hard because his commander told him that the recruiters commander said that even if I had the waiver signed off on that day, they still wouldn't have enlisted me because of a "questionable" tattoo... I came unglued (not at the sergeant). My recruiters commander is totally trying to cover their back sides. This is the same commander that said if I covered up the design with a new tattoo, I would be fine and he would sign the waiver. And let me tell you, my "questionable" tattoo is not "questionable" at all, but I didn't fight it. I did what was asked because it was keeping me from enlisting. I changed it and it cost me well over 300 bucks. He approved it on Wednesday and I went to MEPS on Thursday to swear in. The tat waiver is what was holding me up and then he approved it. Period. I saw the paperwork! It is an out right lie. So, after all that being said.. My recruiter is not being held accountable and his commander is lying to cover up what happened. I have made it my goal to get into the guard. I was 100% eligible for enlistment until my recruiter screwed up...ALL waivers were signed and approved. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my congressman and letters are starting to go out on Thursday. I'm not giving up. I'm not some 18 year old kid that just says "ok". I'm a grown man with a lot of experience under his belt that wants to serve his country.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

                Originally posted by ruggermick View Post
                VICEROY06: I wish I had this week to continue on. Maybe I didn't word my post right, but I turned 35 this last Saturday (May 4th). This all happened on May 2nd at MEPS and it was closed on May 3rd. Yea, it's insane how some (not all of course) recruiters are allowed to show gross incompetence time and time again, yet they are not held accountable. Prime example, today I contacted one of the sergeants that tried helping me when I was at MEPS on May 2nd... I asked him if he had heard anything from the higher ups regarding my situation. He told me that he spoke with them and they said there was nothing they could do to make an exception. I was happy he was straight forward and honest with me. Then I ask him if there is anything I could do by maybe coming from a different angle. He told me that it's going to be hard because his commander told him that the recruiters commander said that even if I had the waiver signed off on that day, they still wouldn't have enlisted me because of a "questionable" tattoo... I came unglued (not at the sergeant). My recruiters commander is totally trying to cover their back sides. This is the same commander that said if I covered up the design with a new tattoo, I would be fine and he would sign the waiver. And let me tell you, my "questionable" tattoo is not "questionable" at all, but I didn't fight it. I did what was asked because it was keeping me from enlisting. I changed it and it cost me well over 300 bucks. He approved it on Wednesday and I went to MEPS on Thursday to swear in. The tat waiver is what was holding me up and then he approved it. Period. I saw the paperwork! It is an out right lie. So, after all that being said.. My recruiter is not being held accountable and his commander is lying to cover up what happened. I have made it my goal to get into the guard. I was 100% eligible for enlistment until my recruiter screwed up...ALL waivers were signed and approved. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my congressman and letters are starting to go out on Thursday. I'm not giving up. I'm not some 18 year old kid that just says "ok". I'm a grown man with a lot of experience under his belt that wants to serve his country.
                This confuses me....you said in your original post that you did NOT have a dependency waiver from your TAG because of a recruiter mistake, but that one was required regardless and that was what kept you from enlisting.

                I can tell you from working for legislators and Veterans' Services that you may be wasting your time and ink with 'calling your Congressman'. People threaten it and do it all the time, but there is nothing the Congressman can really do to 'get you in'. We get calls EVERY week from disgruntled recruits, whether rightly so or just sour grapes, who think there's some magic button to get them enlisted.

                Unless the age requirement changes, you may be out of luck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

                  Try the Air Guard or Navy Reserves. Do a 2 or 3 year contract & see if you can get in to the ARNG when your time is coming to a close or a magic transfer may be possible if you have not begun IADT.

                  This is just thinking "out loud" and by no means is a surefire way to get to your ultimate goal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

                    Originally posted by bai78 View Post
                    Try the Air Guard or Navy Reserves.
                    The Air Guard IS taking recruits up to age 39.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

                      I will defiantly look into the Air Guard. Thank you for the recommendation! I thought I saw somewhere that 39 was the age limit, but then saw somewhere else it was not. I will give them a call.

                      Chris36: Sorry if my post is confusing. There is so much going on, I'm trying to word it as best as possible. What I meant by being 100% eligible is, the recruiter told me everything was done and I was ready to swear in. I asked him over and over again about the dependency waiver. Every time I asked him, he told me that I didn't need one because I had some other paperwork from child support services. He said I was good to go. This was not the case and when he was corrected by the sergeants (their superiors also said that I needed one) at MEPS, he argued with them and would not start on it. They said it could be done, but my recruiter left instead. By then, it was to late. They couldn't get it in time for me to swear in. I don't feel my recruiter did this on purpose, but the point is that it could have been corrected. All he had to do was say, let's get it done and get it moving. Thats it. The sergeants clearly said over and over it could be pushed through as a priority. I met with a representative at my congressman office this morning. I'm not very hopeful, but thought I would at least give it a shot. Sometimes things just happen for a reason. I'm trying to stay positive instead of being p'd off.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Issue regarding my recruiter and enlistment

                        You wrote in another post that you have a GED. Do you have 15 college credits? AF requirements are more strict than the Army and they require everyone have at least a Secret clearance.
                        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X