Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make a responsible decision

Hey guys,
    Iím hoping some of you can speak from personal experience and possibly aid me in my decision. Iíll try to keep this short. Iím 28, married with 3 sonís ages 9, 7, and 10 months. Iíve always wanted to serve but itís never really been an option for me because of the kind of work I did, until recently. I work in safety and health and before now basically worked as a private contractor (1099) for construction companies. Now I work as the safety manager directly for a company and would be entitled to all the benefits required by law i.e. having my job/position held while on duty. What makes the guard an even more viable option, is that my boss is a good friend of mine and completely supports the idea.

Whatís the hold up? My concern is this; I could manage my money well enough to cover BT and MOS training but I know the odds of me being deployed would be fairly high (and Iím ok with that) but what I worry about is being cut down to 1/3 of what I make now for 12 months. How would my family survive a cut like that?
    I want to do this very much but I donít want to make a selfish decision and put what Iíve worked for so hard at risk. Is there anyone whoís dealt with a similar situation? Iíd love to hear any feedback.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Trying to make a responsible decision

It's the nature of the beast. The pay for an enlisted soldier is what it is. The only thing I can tell your is to plan for it and try to work around it...

Don't forget to factor in BAH as part of your pay.

Comment

It all depends on the policy of your company. When I was activated for Noble Eagle in months after 9/11, I was working for a non-profit and they covered the difference in loss of pay. How much you make now?

When I left NG to AD; I took a 35K cut. It was hard at first but we learned to cut corners and to refine our budget. Its a give and take that you must be willing to bear for YOUR reasons for serving.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        It all depends on the policy of your company. When I was activated for Noble Eagle in months after 9/11, I was working for a non-profit and they covered the difference in loss of pay. How much you make now?

When I left NG to AD; I took a 35K cut. It was hard at first but we learned to cut corners and to refine our budget. Its a give and take that you must be willing to bear for YOUR reasons for serving.

$90-$100K

I've heard of companies covering the difference but thus far i hav not seen anything stating such in our company manual.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          It's the nature of the beast. The pay for an enlisted soldier is what it is. The only thing I can tell your is to plan for it and try to work around it...

Don't forget to factor in BAH as part of your pay.
          What is BHA and how much would that add to the pay?

Also isn't there legislation to protect deployed soldiers from losing there house while on duty?

Comment

Google is your friend......

BAH Rates for 2013

In addition, the legislation is there to prevent repo, but you still have to make your payments.

Comment

And I appreciate your feedback. As you can tell I have very little knowledge on this subject but I'm eager to learn more.

Comment

It would be better for you to come in as high as possible on the enlisted ranks. A bachelor's degree will get your E-4...

Comment

Originally posted by Achilles-Reborn View Post

I've heard of companies covering the difference but thus far i hav not seen anything stating such in our company manual.
                  Most i've seen were companies that kept people on the unpaid roll. You still accrue leave leave and time in service for your company (so you accrue pay raises).

I’m 28, married with 3 son’s ages 9, 7, and 10 months
                  I read it 9 months, 7 months, and 10 months. I was about to say......

Comment

Hey guys,
                    I’m hoping some of you can speak from personal experience and possibly aid me in my decision. I’ll try to keep this short. I’m 28, married with 3 son’s ages 9, 7, and 10 months. I’ve always wanted to serve but it’s never really been an option for me because of the kind of work I did, until recently. I work in safety and health and before now basically worked as a private contractor (1099) for construction companies. Now I work as the safety manager directly for a company and would be entitled to all the benefits required by law i.e. having my job/position held while on duty. What makes the guard an even more viable option, is that my boss is a good friend of mine and completely supports the idea.

What’s the hold up? My concern is this; I could manage my money well enough to cover BT and MOS training but I know the odds of me being deployed would be fairly high (and I’m ok with that) but what I worry about is being cut down to 1/3 of what I make now for 12 months. How would my family survive a cut like that?
                    I want to do this very much but I don’t want to make a selfish decision and put what I’ve worked for so hard at risk. Is there anyone who’s dealt with a similar situation? I’d love to hear any feedback.

Thanks for your time.
                    Most people who think they are taking a pay cut forget to realize that if you were deployed there would be BAH, BAS, hostile fire pay, and imminent danger pay added to your check; and there would be ZERO taxes taken out. With all that said if you have a civilian job that brings home more money, than more power to you, but in most cases that would require a salary of at least 70K.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                      Most i've seen were companies that kept people on the unpaid roll. You still accrue leave leave and time in service for your company (so you accrue pay raises).

I read it 9 months, 7 months, and 10 months. I was about to say......

HAHAHA,. sorry about the confusion. Yeah the guard would be the last thing on my mind if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                        Most people who think they are taking a pay cut forget to realize that if you were deployed there would be BAH, BAS, hostile fire pay, and imminent danger pay added to your check; and there would be ZERO taxes taken out. With all that said if you have a civilian job that brings home more money, than more power to you, but in most cases that would require a salary of at least 70K.
                        Thank you. That's the kind of information I'm looking for. I exceed $70K but I'm trying to take into account that I won't be home creating additional expense, no taxes, etc.

I know it would be a sacrifice but I want it to be a realistic one. I can't go from netting $6K a month to $1800 but a more reasonable figure (with all the added benifets you're talking about) may be attainable.

Comment

I wanted to give everyone an update.

After a lot of thought and prayer, My wife and I decided that it was too important to me not to enlist. I am in the RSP program and have been drilling for 2 months now. I'm really happy with the decision. I was able to get a later ship date so I can save enough money to augment my income for the 3 months I'm at Benning.

RSP has really helped me improve my fitness. I have lost 20 pounds and already passed my 2-2-2 for my age group. I still have a long way to go and that motivates me even more. Thanks to everyone who took the time to give their honest opinions. It really helped me out.

Comment

Congratulations on your joining! I'm looking into joining the armed services very soon. A few questions for you....What is the RSP Program? What is Benning? How are you able to drill, if you haven't gone to boot camp yet? 20lbs that's amazing! How did you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle Cargle Adams View Post
                              Congratulations on your joining! I'm looking into joining the armed services very soon. A few questions for you....What is the RSP Program? What is Benning? How are you able to drill, if you haven't gone to boot camp yet? 20lbs that's amazing! How did you do it?
                              I can touch on the highlighted questions.

RSP - Recruit Sustainment Program. A program for those recently enlisted but have yet to ship to Basic Training. New Enlistees are required to attend drill one weekend per month until they ship out where the Cadre will train them on all the basics giving them a much needed head start once they get to Basic. They are also paid for these drills. This program is unique to the National Guard as the Active Army & Army Reserve do not have such a program.

Benning is Ft Benning, GA. One of the four Basic Training sites. Benning is the only non-coed BCT stie and is typically for Combat Arms MOS's.

Comment

Working...
                              X