X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard vs Reserve

My son is very interested in the Air Guard. We live in Ohio and he is planning on going to college in-state. He heard that the reserves have less of a chance of being deployed. Is this true? While this doesn't concern him, he wonders if this larger chance will interrupt his studies. Can someone share with me the difference between the two. I understand that the Ohio guard covers in-state public university tuition cost. His reason for joining the guard are to further enhance his leadership skills, education and challenge himself. He doesn't know if he wants to make it a military career. Do future employers shy away from hiring due to the time commitment. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Re: Guard vs Reserve

Originally posted by Nelsonhitachi View Post
    My son is very interested in the Air Guard. We live in Ohio and he is planning on going to college in-state. He heard that the reserves have less of a chance of being deployed. Is this true? While this doesn't concern him, he wonders if this larger chance will interrupt his studies. Can someone share with me the difference between the two. I understand that the Ohio guard covers in-state public university tuition cost. His reason for joining the guard are to further enhance his leadership skills, education and challenge himself. He doesn't know if he wants to make it a military career. Do future employers shy away from hiring due to the time commitment. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Try the discussion board link below:

Also research the website through the link posted below:

Air National Guard Fact Sheets
    Last edited by VICEROY06; April 30th, 2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

He heard that the reserves have less of a chance of being deployed. Is this true?
      I've never heard that. No.

Do future employers shy away from hiring due to the time commitment.
      No; in fact, I wouldn't have the job I have now if I didn't have military experience and an active security clearance (through the NG).

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post

No; in fact, I wouldn't have the job I have now if I didn't have military experience and an active security clearance (through the NG).
        +1

90% of the conversation I had during my interview for my current job with my boss (retired 0-6) was about Fort Benning/OCS. And the DoD Secret I needed to apply in the first place came from the Guard.

My employer is also very supportive of me taking military leave---they pay the difference between when I'm away for training.

Sounds like your son's head is in the right place regarding motivation for joining too.

Comment

Working...
        X