Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexual Assault/Rape in the Guard?

Hi all,

I am considering joining the National Guard in the near future, but have noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of recent press regarding rates of sexual assault/rape in the military and efforts to suppress/cover-up such incidents. I know that the press can overreact to things like this, but wanted to get an "insiders" perspective on this issue, particularly from other women on the forum who are currently in the Guard. Is there something to this story? Is it more of a problem with regular Army as opposed to National Guard, etc? Looking for honest/first-hand answers/experiences rather than the "official" public relations answer that top brass and recruiters would probably give.

I know this issue would be a major concern for my family.

Re: Sexual Assault/Rape in the Guard?

Originally posted by GenChamberlain View Post
    Hi all,

I am considering joining the National Guard in the near future, but have noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of recent press regarding rates of sexual assault/rape in the military and efforts to suppress/cover-up such incidents. I know that the press can overreact to things like this, but wanted to get an "insiders" perspective on this issue, particularly from other women on the forum who are currently in the Guard. Is there something to this story? Is it more of a problem with regular Army as opposed to National Guard, etc? Looking for honest/first-hand answers/experiences rather than the "official" public relations answer that top brass and recruiters would probably give.

I know this issue would be a major concern for my family.
    It's no more of a problem than it is in the general populus.

Let it go.

Don't start no mess, won't be no mess.

Comment

I dont have any statistics in front of me, plus numbers can be made to show anything a person wants them to so I wont get technical and mention numbers or make up some that I think are close but have no proof on. I wont say it is same as civilian side because I dont have those numbers in front of me either.

Actually it can be a problem and that is why we have alot of training about it. If you listen to the training, follow every guidance given to you about it, and use common sense, it isnt something you need to worry about. You always want to be aware of it, have situation awareness, but I personally dont worry about it on a constant basis and for that matter, rarely at all. I am aware of it, but not worried. Where I ran into it becoming a problem is acting like one of the guys, vulgar and such...and then having others assume i'm open to anything because of that. The best way to avoid it in my experience was to not be myself and so open. Instead keeping my 'adult talk/actions' around people I know and trust. Personally I had more issues in the Guard than the civilian side, and more when on Active orders than Mday but that was just one experience. Ask ten people, you will get ten different answers.

Comment

Today was a safety stand-down for sexual harassment/assault training. Been going non-stop since 0600 (now on chow break). There been different formats for junior leaders and E-7s and above. This is a coming down big-time from the DoD.

We were told that BN and Company safety briefs will now cease and that will now be handled at the squad level. I had to do online training for hours this morning and if you want to see those videos and want to enroll in the course (in ALMS); PM me and I will give you the info. Sad this type of "epidemic" has now come to this.

Comment

The way that it has been presented to us that this is a problem overall in our society that transcends our organization which is one that embodies strong values. And that many leaders usually have that "bystander" approach or to avoid being the bad apple for opening their mouth because of the "good ole boy club" and that this needs to be reduced to small levels ASAP. Meaning, just like suicides and DUIs; the problem will never fully go away.

Congress is putting on the pressure.

Comment

Yes, it was DOD-wide.

http://www.stripes.com/troops-take-p...-down-1.226934

Comment

My good friend was sexually harassed in the National guard. As a result of the appropriate people getting involved the case is well underway to being solved with a positive outcome.
              Last edited by adjfireusa; June 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM. Reason: Change of circumstance

Comment

Interesting article

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...em-exaggerated

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  I agree with her....I also have a thing for redheads

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                    I agree with her....I also have a thing for redheads
                    RealityCheck and a redhead Marine lawyer... There are *so* many excellent jokes I could post here....

Comment

Working...
                    X