X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Questions Concerning Joining

I'm 17 years old with no history of family members serving. Will I be thrown into a war zone? I know the National Guard responds to floods and anything your Governor wants yo to do and you get to stay near home. Will I always be near home? But if I am part time in National Guard will I be deployed like Afghanistan or overseas some where with a lot of action? I'm still young and don't know what to do with my future till today. I saw the letter in my mail and thought this can help me as a person mentally and physically and something I could use in my future.
    Last edited by Addie95; April 28th, 2013, 10:27 PM.

Re: Some Questions Concerning Joining

To quote one of my all-time favs, "Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair."

No one knows if they will or not be deployedto a combat zone. Some jobs and some units are more prone, but that's not to say they will ever get their ticket punched either. By putting on the uniform period, deployment is something that is always possible regardless of your MOS and regardless if your are Active, Reserve, or National Guard.

If you really do want something to challenge you physically and mentally, I would suggest it to any young person.

Comment

Originally posted by Addie95 View Post
      I saw the letter in my mail
      Did it say "Go to war or go to jail?"
      Sorry, you'll get that joke if you join...

That said, there is always a chance of deployment in the National Guard. In fact, I'd say most guys that have been in for 5+ years have deployed on a combat mission. We are drawing down, but that doesn't mean your unit won't be one of the missions that stays on the table.

Comment

I'm 17 years old with no history of family members serving. Will I be thrown into a war zone? I know the National Guard responds to floods and anything your Governor wants yo to do and you get to stay near home. Will I always be near home? But if I am part time in National Guard will I be deployed like Afghanistan or overseas some where with a lot of action? I'm still young and don't know what to do with my future till today. I saw the letter in my mail and thought this can help me as a person mentally and physically and something I could use in my future.
        The NG is part of the Army. The Army exists to defend the country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. At some point, if you stay in long enough, you will deploy overseas.

Comment

When I read the brochure it said part time you can be in it while working. I plan in staying part time. But not longer than 6 years I plan to go to college and I mean I wouldn't mind deploying to a Fort. Thought of overseas isn't really motivating.

Comment

Thought of overseas isn't really motivating.
            The only problem I usually have with that train of thought is you have no idea what that really means. You are not automatically thrown in the middle of saving private ryan type combat. Educate yourself first, than decide what is motivating.

Comment

When I read the brochure it said part time you can be in it while working. I plan in staying part time. But not longer than 6 years I plan to go to college and I mean I wouldn't mind deploying to a Fort. Thought of overseas isn't really motivating.
              When they say "part-time" they're using that term very, very loosely as well as telling a half truth. You're only "part-time" as long as you're drilling one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. That is, until you're called on deployment, then you're activated. While overseas on deployment you are the same as an Active Duty/Regular Army soldier. Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                When they say "part-time" they're using that term very, very loosely as well as telling a half truth. You're only "part-time" as long as you're drilling one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. That is, until you're called on deployment, then you're activated. While overseas on deployment you are the same as an Active Duty/Regular Army soldier. Congratulations.
                I do want to add, that in todays deployment climate, National Guard deployments are coming further and fewer between.

Comment

Working...
                X