X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best option?

I'm a 31 y/o Firefighter/Paramedic w/ Fire service related specials operations training in HazMat (Technician), High Angle Rescue (Technician), Vehicle Machinery Rescue (Technician), Confined Space (Technician), and Structural Collapse (Operations) and w/ a 2-year AA degree. I'm looking for a job in the Gaurd Reserves that offers specialized training. My only problem is, is that I would not be able to leave for months at a time for training. I have a wife and 2 kids who depend on me being there. 2-days a month would not be a problem but, not months. Is it even possible or would I be wasting my recruiter's time by walking in with these limitations in mind? Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

Re: Best option?

Some commands make concessions based on civilian work requirements but if you think those work commitments will interfere with earning the days required by the Guard to earn a good year; then I will refrain from even attempting to join.

I will go to an NG and/or Reserve recruiter's office and express your interests and concerns.

Comment

Thank you, Chief. I am going to schedule an appointment with a recruiter just to get a one-on-one perspective of my options. I was just hoping to get some experienced advice before I waste my local recruiter's time.

Comment

The shortest timeframe for Basic and AIT is about 14 weeks. Most jobs (and probably the ones you want) require a longer training timeline. While the numbers of mobilizations overseas has slowed dramatically in the past few years, you must consider the possibility of a yearlong deployment. If spending time away from home is a catastrophe for you, then I don't see how military service could work.

You may wish to consider the State Defense Force.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          The shortest timeframe for Basic and AIT is about 14 weeks. Most jobs (and probably the ones you want) require a longer training timeline. While the numbers of mobilizations overseas has slowed dramatically in the past few years, you must consider the possibility of a yearlong deployment. If spending time away from home is a catastrophe for you, then I don't see how military service could work.

You may wish to consider the State Defense Force.
          Thank you, Sir. I would do some research on the State Defense Force.

Comment

Working...
          X