Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey

Hi!
    While Iím doing the basic training am I going to able to save money to rent an apartment? Because I am not really down to go back where I come from. I donít have no dependant but I live in the state of New York where things is kind of expensive.

Don't be rude or just ignore it Thank you.

Re: Hey

Whatever you do with your pay is totally up to you. Always, I advise to young people (18-23) starting out with their first jobs, is to start saving monthly in a Roth IRA for their retirement (minimum 100 dollars a month). By the time you are 60 years old, due to compound interesting, you should be a millionaire.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 27th, 2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      Whatever you do with your pay is totally up to you. Always, I advise to young people (18-23) starting out with their first jobs, is to start saving monthly in a Roth IRA for their retirement (minimum 100 dollars a month). By the time you are 60 years old, due to compound interesting, you should be a millionaire.

I understand what you trying to say but honestly I am not looking to be a millionaire now, I am looking for a peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by stanleeyy View Post
        Hi!
        While I’m doing the basic training am I going to able to save money to rent an apartment? Because I am not really down to go back where I come from. I don’t have no dependant but I live in the state of New York where things is kind of expensive.

Don't be rude or just ignore it Thank you.
        Except for a couple hundred dollars, which they'll cut you so you can buy running shoes, toiletries, etc. you'll be on lockdown for several weeks, which means every penny you make will be put away in your bank account. By the way, you're going to need a bank account. If you don't already have one, then open one up. Once you're enlisted you can open an account with USAA--no deposit required. You won't make thousands of dollars but it will be enough to get you started. Also, unless you choose an MOS that requires longer than normal training, don't expect to live high off the hog or even low on the hog after you're done with BCT and AIT. For that you're going to simply have to get a full-time civilian job unless you can luck up and get AGR job in NY, which I highly, highly doubt. From what I've heard it's insanely competitive there. You'll have enough cash, though, once you're done to provide a decent cushion for a couple months.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; April 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
          Except for a couple hundred dollars, which they'll cut you so you can buy running shoes, toiletries, etc. you'll be on lockdown for several weeks, which means every penny you make will be put away in your bank account. By the way, you're going to need a bank account. If you don't already have one, then open one up. Once you're enlisted you can open an account with USAA--no deposit required. You won't make thousands of dollars but it will be enough to get you started. Also, unless you choose an MOS that requires longer than normal training, don't expect to live high off the hog or even low on the hog after you're done with BCT and AIT. For that you're going to simply have to get a full-time civilian job unless you can luck up and get AGR job in NY, which I highly, highly doubt. From what I've heard it's insanely competitive there. You'll have enough cash, though, once you're done to provide a decent cushion for a couple months.
          I don't know about a couple of months... OP is more than likely going to be an E-1 with no dependents and no BAH. And if he goes crazy and buys a ton of crap at AIT, he really won't have much to come home on.

If you are looking for financial piece of mind, go active. Or choose a nice, long AIT with a skill that is in high demand or marketable (think Signal or MI).

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
            I don't know about a couple of months... OP is more than likely going to be an E-1 with no dependents and no BAH. And if he goes crazy and buys a ton of crap at AIT, he really won't have much to come home on.

If you are looking for financial piece of mind, go active. Or choose a nice, long AIT with a skill that is in high demand or marketable (think Signal or MI).
            That's kind of what I was aiming at. I'm not going to judge the OP but I'm going to suggest signal corps (25U, 25B). I'm not sure about MI. In the nearly two years I was stuck in RSP I only met two kids that got into MI. One kid graduated from a well respected, hard to get into and even harder to graduate from high school. The other kid had a dad that was an E-7 in SF. Not saying it's impossible but you gotta be better than average.

Comment

That's kind of what I was aiming at. I'm not going to judge the OP but I'm going to suggest signal corps (25U, 25B). I'm not sure about MI. In the nearly two years I was stuck in RSP I only met two kids that got into MI. One kid graduated from a well respected, hard to get into and even harder to graduate from high school. The other kid had a dad that was an E-7 in SF. Not saying it's impossible but you gotta be better than average.
              Oh, I agree but I wanted to steer the OP in the right direction. If he's not going to be going to college, Signal would be his best bet out here in the real world. Plus, he'd be able to take advantage of TA/STA to get some additional certs under his belt. I'd milk AIT for all its worth if I was going in as a young kid again.

MI is tough to get but if he can score it, he'd come out of AIT with a TS/SCI and some Intel training. If he got 35F, he'd be able to take that "generalist" training and start looking for entry-level work in the DoD contractor field.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                Oh, I agree but I wanted to steer the OP in the right direction. If he's not going to be going to college, Signal would be his best bet out here in the real world. Plus, he'd be able to take advantage of TA/STA to get some additional certs under his belt. I'd milk AIT for all its worth if I was going in as a young kid again.

MI is tough to get but if he can score it, he'd come out of AIT with a TS/SCI and some Intel training. If he got 35F, he'd be able to take that "generalist" training and start looking for entry-level work in the DoD contractor field.
                It's 2013 and don't want to go to no college.

Okay.

Comment

But what if I donít have a place to go after I finish the BCT & AIT? Wonít the National Guard help me with housing or something? I wanted to go active duty but I donít like the fact I have to leave the state where I live at or even worst to leave the country, plus Iím willing to go to college fall of 2014. Where am I aiming at is that I need a full-time job from National Guard, my girlfriend and I are planning to live together after I graduate AIT, she is coming from Canada to start college so obviously I wonít honestly expect her to help me spited the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post

What am I supposed to do to qualify for the BAH? Ill look forward to check on the think signal or the MI.

Comment

Originally posted by stanleeyy View Post
                      But what if I donít have a place to go after I finish the BCT & AIT? Wonít the National Guard help me with housing or something? I wanted to go active duty but I donít like the fact I have to leave the state where I live at or even worst to leave the country, plus Iím willing to go to college fall of 2014. Where am I aiming at is that I need a full-time job from National Guard, my girlfriend and I are planning to live together after I graduate AIT, she is coming from Canada to start college so obviously I wonít honestly expect her to help me spited the bills.

You are in the National Guard, one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Other than those set dates, you are required to house yourself, feed yourself, and earn money. There are programs in the National Guard that can assist you, but will not do it for you.

Full time guard slots are hard to come by and very competative. States have Technician openings which are wage grade (hourly employees). I'm not trying to demotivate you from applying to an AGR, totally go for one if you get the chance, but realize there are MANY looking for the same chance as you.

To emphasise; the guard is not a full time job and should not be counted as one. You're also hearing this from a Full Time Guard member...

Comment

Working...
                      X