X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 turning 17 In June and have a few questions

Hello, my name's Mike and I'm new to the forum, but I'm 16 turning 17 on June 10th and I'm considering joining the guard. I just have a few questions. I'm considering the split training option so I would train this summer and the summer after I graduate high school. My questions are would I make any kind of salary while in basic training this summer? Also how does taking an ROTC program in college affect deployment?

Re: 16 turning 17 In June and have a few questions

It will be very difficult for you to do Basic this summer as you won't be elligibile to enlist until you're 17 in early June. Nearly all training seats for the summer BCT only are taken by May. This is not to say it's impossible, just not likely. If you'd like to try, get in contact with a Recuiter ASAP.

You can still enlist and ship to BCT next summer while attending RSP drills throughout next year of high school. You would be paid, approximately $180-$200 per weekend and next summer, while in BCT, approximately $1700 per month.

You are "deployable" once you've become MOS Qualified, completing AIT (your job training). If you contract through ROTC you are non-deployable.

Hope this answers your quesitons. Best of luck!!

Comment

Great answer from nyguardrecruiter.

One piece of advice I would give anyone thinking of joining is if you join, learn how to zero a rifle or at least the concept of zeroing before you go to basic. Zeroing can be a tedious process. When I went to basic we only got one day to zero our rifles and most of us underestimated the importance of it. Also, once your rifle is zeroed, write down the settings and don't lose them so everytime you clean your weapon or go to the range you can make sure it is back to zero before you shoot.

Good luck in your decision making.

Comment

I just remembered something called college first or the college first option that was available when I got in. I am not sure if it is still available but it allowed soldiers to finish school before they got deployed.

Your recruiter should know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
          Great answer from nyguardrecruiter.

One piece of advice I would give anyone thinking of joining is if you join, learn how to zero a rifle or at least the concept of zeroing before you go to basic. Zeroing can be a tedious process. When I went to basic we only got one day to zero our rifles and most of us underestimated the importance of it. Also, once your rifle is zeroed, write down the settings and don't lose them so everytime you clean your weapon or go to the range you can make sure it is back to zero before you shoot.

Good luck in your decision making.
          Yet again, poor advice.

It is best to go to training fresh and unsullied by prior civilian shooting experience on a military style weapon. The Drill SGT will teach you how to zero a weapon the Army way without having to undo anything you may have learned back home. The Drill SGT is not going to be yelling at you and making you feel like an idiot on the range, especially when you have a loaded weapon. They are there to teach and guide.

Going to training with misconceptions and the like is going to make a recruits life difficult.

Now, if you want to go pop some rounds off just to get a feel for it, by all means.... go for it. And it's fun!

If you want to prep yourself, learn your General Orders, rank structure and any other mental knowledge before you go. This is stuff that will be taught to you in RSP (In theory) and will be one less thing you have to learn while there.

Comment

[QUOTE=kvrL33;183140]I just remembered something called college first or the college first option that was available when I got in. I am not sure if it is still available but it allowed soldiers to finish school before they got deployed.

Your recruiter should know about it.[/QUOTE

The College First enlistment option is no longer available.

Along with the advice jmclaughlin1701 put out, learn the Soldier's Creed, Army Song, Military Time and phonetic alphabet will help prepare you.

Comment

Don't do the split option,my son found out he ships to AIT on June 6 and his class graduated on June 8,guess what he will not be graduating with his class.
              Also he is worried about being out of shape,and the packing of gear is a real pain.
              My advice is to do it all at once.

Comment

I did split-option and had no issues. Have your son speak to his RSP cadre.

Comment

Working...
                X