Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

    Can anyone give me a better understanding of the difference between the Army, Army National Guard, and the Army Reserves? I know there are some people who have served for more than one. Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

    Originally posted by Army101 View Post
    Can anyone give me a better understanding of the difference between the Army, Army National Guard, and the Army Reserves? I know there are some people who have served for more than one. Thanks
    The Army Reserves is a "reserve" entity of the regular army that is controlled by only federal authorities. The Army Guard, while still a "reserve" of the regular army, is dual status. It is controlled by state authority unless mobilized into federal service (like Iraq). A current example is when the Boston Bombings happened the Governor ordered the Mass Army Guard onto the streets.

    The Army Reserves has limited, if any combat arms positions. They are mainly combat service support. So, for example if you want to be an Infantryman, you basically have to join the Guard.

    From a benefits standpoint the Army Guard receives the same or more depending on the state. Most states education programs the the Grad considerably exceed our Reserve counterparts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

      I served in all three and currently in the "ARMY". We are designated as Title 10 Federal troops while National Guard under state status is Title 32.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_1...ed_States_Code

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_3...ed_States_Code

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

        I served in all three and currently in the "ARMY". We are designated as Title 10 Federal troops while National Guard under state status is Title 32.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_1...ed_States_Code

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_3...ed_States_Code

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

          Lets start with the main question. Why do you want to join and what are you goals in the long run?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

            After serving in all three, here's my take:

            But some of the bigger differences:

            The Guard is made up of 54 state/territorial commands with the Gov. as the commander in chief during state functions, this is why they are included in the oath. This is also why they can offer better ed benefits, but not all states do this. The Reserve is made up of 1 single command.

            The Guard is usually spread out over the state, where the Reserve is moving towards single facilities that house multiple units.

            State laws govern some aspects of the Guard, such as punishment, where as the Reserve is governed by the UCMJ.

            As posted before, the Reserve doesn't have any combat arms (few minor exceptions) but they have most if not all of the medical, psyops and civil affairs units. The Guard has a mix of combat, combat support and combat service support.

            The Reserve you can be mobilized to fill another unit from somewhere else in the country for deployment. The Guard, this will only happen in your state.

            The Reserve seems like they have a little more money for schools vs the Guard. But the Guard seems like they have more money for longer weekend drills.

            Really there are pro's and con's to both and it'll be up to you to decide which best serves your needs. Talk to both recruiters and see if you can visit local units and see what you think.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

              Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              The Reserve you can be mobilized to fill another unit from somewhere else in the country for deployment. The Guard, this will only happen in your state.
              That, and the fact that reserve personnel get treated like garbage outside of their diaspora when it comes to getting equipment among other things. But the fact that they can be snatched up across state lines and next to no benefits is what kept me from going reserve.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                I do not knock the Reserves and they do have lucrative benefits to entice recruits. If they did not have any benefits; then all will go to the Guard and none to the Reserves. Maybe some want to have the potential to be called from other states. And obviously, since there is only an Air and Army National Guard; there are also many serving in the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps Reserves.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                  Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                  That, and the fact that reserve personnel get treated like garbage outside of their diaspora when it comes to getting equipment among other things. But the fact that they can be snatched up across state lines and next to no benefits is what kept me from going reserve.
                  You're basing this on what? They get the same equipment as a NG unit does for their type of unit. In my experience, the USAR benefits were better the NG benefits (I never got the full TA in the NG, let alone any other ed benefit). Yep you can get cross leveled outside the state.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                    Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    You're basing this on what? They get the same equipment as a NG unit does for their type of unit. In my experience, the USAR benefits were better the NG benefits (I never got the full TA in the NG, let alone any other ed benefit). Yep you can get cross leveled outside the state.
                    Sounds like you state must have been sucking wind then. In Texas, full TA plus a plethora of other "State" benefits provided me with a free Master's Degree. And by "Free", I mean that I did not have to pay out of pocket for anything.

                    Again OP, if you want a full list of what benefits your state's NG can offer, you really need to hit up a recruiter or at least, talk to a person who is in that state on this forum.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                      Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                      You're basing this on what? They get the same equipment as a NG unit does for their type of unit. In my experience, the USAR benefits were better the NG benefits (I never got the full TA in the NG, let alone any other ed benefit). Yep you can get cross leveled outside the state.
                      In many NG states you don't even need any TA because they have a tuition WAIVER, something you will never see in the reserves. Considering all federal TA has been streamlined into goarmyed, should be much of a difference in the 4500. I cannot think of one state who at least doesn't put another 4500 on top of that with state benefits. There may be some, but they are far and few between.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                        Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                        You're basing this on what? They get the same equipment as a NG unit does for their type of unit. In my experience, the USAR benefits were better the NG benefits (I never got the full TA in the NG, let alone any other ed benefit). Yep you can get cross leveled outside the state.
                        It may be just an Alabama issue. I've come across several reservists that came into the NG here that couldn't get their TA-50 equipment. I don't know where Reservists get their TA-50 but they were told by CIF for Alabama that the ARNG does not issue TA-50 to PS Reservists.

                        As far as benefits are concerned, In the Reserves, you can get either Federal Tuition Reinbursment or the GI Bill. In the National Guard you can get both State Tuition Reinbursment and the GI Bill.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                          Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                          It may be just an Alabama issue. I've come across several reservists that came into the NG here that couldn't get their TA-50 equipment. I don't know where Reservists get their TA-50 but they were told by CIF for Alabama that the ARNG does not issue TA-50 to PS Reservists.

                          As far as benefits are concerned, In the Reserves, you can get either Federal Tuition Reinbursment or the GI Bill. In the National Guard you can get both State Tuition Reinbursment and the GI Bill.
                          Reserve Units issued their TA-50 just like Guard Units, when I was in the reserves I would get my TA-50 from my supply SGT, then I switched over to the Guard, I went over to my Supply SGT and he issued me what I needed. The problem comes when your reserve unit doesn't go thru all the proper databases to make sure you have nothing outstanding, so when they fail to this the army thinks that you still have prior issued equipment and I believe that's why they are not issuing them new TA-50.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                            Originally posted by MDJV212 View Post
                            Reserve Units issued their TA-50 just like Guard Units, when I was in the reserves I would get my TA-50 from my supply SGT, then I switched over to the Guard, I went over to my Supply SGT and he issued me what I needed. The problem comes when your reserve unit doesn't go thru all the proper databases to make sure you have nothing outstanding, so when they fail to this the army thinks that you still have prior issued equipment and I believe that's why they are not issuing them new TA-50.
                            Distinct possibility. They probably left out that important little part about not turning everything in (out of embarrassment) before getting out of the Reserves.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Army vs. Army National Guard vs. Army Reserves

                              Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                              Sounds like you state must have been sucking wind then. In Texas, full TA plus a plethora of other "State" benefits provided me with a free Master's Degree. And by "Free", I mean that I did not have to pay out of pocket for anything.

                              Again OP, if you want a full list of what benefits your state's NG can offer, you really need to hit up a recruiter or at least, talk to a person who is in that state on this forum.
                              hey. i read your comment and it says you got full TA and you didnt have to pay anything out of pockets. I was recently told today that the National Guard will pay full tuition to Georgia State University, the college I will be attending in the fall. So its true, that it can be fully payed by them?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X