X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching into critical MOS before basic and getting a bonus

So I am switching into a critical MOS. I enlisted last month. My recruiter is telling me I can not get a bonus because the MOS was not critical at the time of my enlistment.

Does this sound right? I really need the extra money. Is there anything I can do?

Re: Switching into critical MOS before basic and getting a bonus

Money is not a good reason for joining the Military in my opinion. Your first priority in joining should be to sacrifice your own life and freedom in order to serve our country's agendas both state side and abroad. In other words, be willing to give up everything and every person that means anything to you.

Just tell your recruiter to switch your MOS. If you haven't been to basic yet, you have all the bargaining power. If he gives you a hard time bout switching, mention you are having second thoughts about joining at all. He will help you after that. You will find a great number of people in the military who are lazy and require leverage to do their jobs. I realize your recruiter may not be this way. After time it's like soldiers know that their pay check is going to be there regardless so why work too hard. There are also good people in the military but the ratio is not the best.

If I were you, I would pursue other interests than the military. I haven't had the best experiences in my career of service.

Comment

If it is traditional bonus, you won't get half of it until after bt/ait anyway. And the rest of it halfway through your enlistment. And Uncle Sam taxes it for 30% anyway. Since bonuses are slim today anyway, how important is it really?

Big mistake joining for money. You'll be disappointed. The educational benefits are the best perk.

Comment

Exactly. If money is an issue, either looking for a better pay job or think about coming on active duty.

Comment

It's a 20,000 bonus. This was job the I originally wanted, but was initially not eligible.

I found out I may be eligible and it is not a critical job on top of that.

Just to let you guys know I am Air Guard. I am not joining for the bonus, but if I can get I will take it.

I enlisted for electrical services because I was told I could not do engineering assistant. I now may be eligible to do EA which is the job I wanted from the start. I trust my recruiter but I'm going to fight to try to get a bonus.

Comment

Well obviously...this is the ARMY national guard forum.

Seek out Air resources online or talk to your recruiter.

Comment

Working...
            X