Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

Originally posted by medic1805 View Post
    good insight! Thanks, some of my friends that are in the NG advised me to also look at Army Reserve as they have a little more of a robust medical need. I am single and other than my job have no real family obligations, so deployment, or last min movement is not something that I would have a problem with. Great information on the OCS and entry rank. I am not trying to skip steps I just really have no idea about entry into any branch of the military.
    I came from a Medical Unit in the Reserves , and for what I seen, it looks like the reserves have more opportunies as far as Medical, you can either work at a hospital as a part of a back filled unit or you can be part of CSH (combat support hospital) unit, also most soldiers who came to our unit became commissioned right away......
    Last edited by stormtrooper300; April 22nd, 2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDJV212 View Post
      I came from a Medical Unit in the Reserves , and for what I seen, it looks like the reserves have more opportunies as far as Medical, you can either work at a hospital as a part of a back filled unit or you can be part of CSH (combat support hospital) unit, also most soldiers who came to our unit became commissioned right away......
      The USAR has most of the medical units as the USAR started out only have medical units.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        The USAR has most of the medical units as the USAR started out only have medical units.
        I've been in too many military buildings to recall but there's a small display of reserve corps of medical officers dating as far back as 1908.

Comment

Originally posted by Orelladanza View Post
          4 days to get there? did you ruck? I can assure you that your hurricane duty does not make us feel insecure. I too have been activated for hurricane duty during hurricane Ivan here in Mississippi. I've also done a 10 month tour in Afghanistan doing route clearance. Others commenting to you have done much more than I have. So yes, we felt that our comments were justified given the misplaced gloom and doom of your personal experience with a hurricane.
          You are wrong. Your comments are not justified at all. You are all trying to intimidate me like school yard bullies. It will not work. Keep following people like you always have.

Comment

Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
            You are wrong. Your comments are not justified at all. You are all trying to intimidate me like school yard bullies. It will not work. Keep following people like you always have.
            I wonder if anyone can get PTSD from deploying stateside?

Comment

You are all assuming that because I got called up to hurricane duty that I am complaining about it. This is a false assumption. You are also assuming that I have not been overseas. This is also a false assumption.

When a person askes us what the ng is like, I think we should share some real experiences so they get an idea before they join. What is wrong with that?

Nothing that I shared in my original post warrants the type of insulting comments that ensued. The military is full of people who put others down to build themselves up. That is very evident here.

Comment

It comes off as complaining, that is why you are getting backlash. If a group of people say you complain, then you might be complaining.

Comment

You are all assuming that because I got called up to hurricane duty that I am complaining about it. This is a false assumption. You are also assuming that I have not been overseas. This is also a false assumption.

When a person askes us what the ng is like, I think we should share some real experiences so they get an idea before they join. What is wrong with that?

Nothing that I shared in my original post warrants the type of insulting comments that ensued. The military is full of people who put others down to build themselves up. That is very evident here.
                  Your seemingly endless bag of negative experiences are not the standard either. Yet you seem to frame them that way. And you have managed to use the majority of your posts to do so. That doesn't mean the rest of us think the military is all sunshine and roses. We have regular discussions here about the opposite. Many of us are sore about particular subjectc where we feel we've been wronged. But again, nobody pitches it as the standard or attempts to reference it in almost every post they make.
                  Last edited by SteveLord; April 23rd, 2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                    I wonder if anyone can get PTSD from deploying stateside?
                    You would not be making jokes about PTSD if you had any understanding about it at all. If you had to watch one of your friends go through it you would realize PTSD should never be joked about. Grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                      Your seemingly endless bag of negative experiences are not the standard either. Yet you seem to frame them that way. And you have managed to use the majority of your posts to do so. That doesn't mean the rest of us think the military is all sunshine and roses. We have regular discussions here about the opposite. Many of us are sore about particular subjectc where we feel we've been wronged. But again, nobody pitches it as the standard or attempts to reference it in almost every post they make.
                      Almost every post?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                        It comes off as complaining, that is why you are getting backlash. If a group of people say you complain, then you might be complaining.
                        If a group of people say you are a circus clown, then you are a circus clown.

Comment

I think you are exaggerating a bit.

Comment

There's a multi quote button on the right side, next to the Reply With Quote button. Please use it.

Comment

Really? Did someone else hack into your membership and post under your screename after your original post?

I've been posting my experiences in here at least since I enlisted in 2010. I haven't deployed anywhere but I've had some unnerving experiences. But the prevailing factor, no matter how bad the experience has been, is the fact that I volunteered for this. Talking about bad experiences is one thing but being negative, cynical, rude, condescending, calloused, and disrespectful towards others quite different.

You volunteered. You enlisted. You rolled the dice. It's like putting a handgun to your head, firing it, and getting angry because the opposite side of your head is gone before you lose consciousness. You knew what the risks were before you enlisted. If you didn't then you obviously found out after being deployed. If your experience has been that bad then don't re-up. But don't be one of these guys that comes up in here several years later posting regretful comments about how you should have stayed in, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Hell--I'm in this now. I'm going to make the most out of it and wring the ARNG dry of its benefits while I still have two legs to stand on. And if I get killed or seriously injured I'll have to remind myself AGAIN that I volunteered.
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; April 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

There's a multi quote button on the right side, next to the Reply With Quote button. Please use it.
                                I think you are exaggerating a bit.
                                I tried to use it. Did it work?

Comment

Working...
                                X