Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

    So I have been a full-time Paramedic and Critical Care Paramedic for 8 years, I am a tactical medic with a local SWAT team, I have my MN POST eligibility for Law Enforcement (translates into Police Academy for any outstate people) and I have my 4 year degree. 32 years old and thinking seriously about joining the guard.

    After police school and tactical medic school (which they ran very much like the military all the way down to making us intubate dummies while getting gassed, keeping us up for 48 hours and yelling, shooting, blowing things up to keep the stress level up constantly, everyone bonded together and felt they had a sense of purpose. I miss that and want to be apart of that again, and I feel I can obtain that by joining the guard to serve on a larger scale)

    I still want to have my life at home and thought this would be the balance I could succeed at. I really want to stay on the Medical side, would I get to stay, if I wanted? I really want to use my skills that I poses to do the most good. Its not that I am unwilling to learn new things, I am always striving to learn more, but I really enjoy medicine. What rank would I potentially come in as?

    Thanks in advance for any input!

  • #2
    Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

    Fellow Brother in Blue here in CO, welcome! Being LE myself, I too wanted more of the military lifestyle. The NG is a good compromise as AD isnt an option for me at the time.

    Sounds like you have a lot going for you as far as possible enlistment. I too enlisted with my 4 year degree, and it allows you to enter as E-4, a specialist. Now, I went in with an 'mos' (if you can really call it that) of 09S-Officer Candidate. Having your degree makes this an option for you as well. Which means you can do basic training as an E4, and then become a commissioned officer. I will find out my specific branch (job) as an officer near the end of OCS.

    Being that you are interested in the medical side of things, you have some options available to you that I did not. Direct commission may be an option for you, depending on your medical cert's. Someone here with expertise on that will hopefully chime in and point you in the right direction for information on that. If your degree is in medicine, you may even come in as a 1st Lt or Cpt rather than a 2nd Lt? Im digging for the information, I'll bet someone finds it before me...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

      Just be aware that you will most likely be deployed at some point. I was deployed for hurricane duty on Labor Day weekend once with one day notice. We were notified half a day in advance. I had to try to email all of my professors to let them know what was happening and also got my neighbors to get my mail for me. I did not make the Dean's list that semester. The more responsiblities you have in your life the more difficult it can become for you and anyone who cares about you when you get deployed.

      You may also want to consider the alarming number of suicides among soldiers/vets before you join. Believe me, none of them planned that it would happen to them. The military can place a great burden on people.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

        Medic, if you have a 4 year degree you can come in as an Officer Candidate. If you don't you can come in enlisted as a 68W Army Medic as SMP which knocks some of your medical training time off. If you have a desire to wear the uniform and serve.......COME ON!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

          Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
          Just be aware that you will most likely be deployed at some point. I was deployed for hurricane duty on Labor Day weekend once with one day notice. We were notified half a day in advance. I had to try to email all of my professors to let them know what was happening and also got my neighbors to get my mail for me. I did not make the Dean's list that semester. The more responsiblities you have in your life the more difficult it can become for you and anyone who cares about you when you get deployed.

          You may also want to consider the alarming number of suicides among soldiers/vets before you join. Believe me, none of them planned that it would happen to them. The military can place a great burden on people.
          deployed for Labor Day Weekend..........I just busted a rib laughing at your post. Man up Hero!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

            Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
            deployed for Labor Day Weekend..........I just busted a rib laughing at your post. Man up Hero!
            As an old-timer, I got a smirk too but at least he is seasoned lol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

              Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              As an old-timer, I got a smirk too but at least he is seasoned lol.
              " watch out you may be required to attend a MUTA 6 sometimes "

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                airborne, Do you have anything inteligent to say or just childish remarks? Act your age.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                  Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
                  airborne, Do you have anything inteligent to say or just childish remarks? Act your age.
                  Wow.

                  I'm going back to my corner.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                    good insight! Thanks, some of my friends that are in the NG advised me to also look at Army Reserve as they have a little more of a robust medical need. I am single and other than my job have no real family obligations, so deployment, or last min movement is not something that I would have a problem with. Great information on the OCS and entry rank. I am not trying to skip steps I just really have no idea about entry into any branch of the military.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                      If I was worried about getting deployed at the last min somewhere, I should not have gone into EMS, welcome to my world everyday, you think you are going home on time....NEVER, hey get an ambulance and load up we are going to Fargo to evacuate 15 nursing homes due to floods, welcome to EMS. No sleep, no food, no problem!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                        Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
                        Just be aware that you will most likely be deployed at some point. I was deployed for hurricane duty on Labor Day weekend once with one day notice. We were notified half a day in advance. I had to try to email all of my professors to let them know what was happening and also got my neighbors to get my mail for me. I did not make the Dean's list that semester. The more responsiblities you have in your life the more difficult it can become for you and anyone who cares about you when you get deployed.

                        You may also want to consider the alarming number of suicides among soldiers/vets before you join. Believe me, none of them planned that it would happen to them. The military can place a great burden on people.
                        I've even heard speculation that the ARNG actually deploys 10 months to combat zones in addition to 4 day Hurricane duty. ZOMG!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                          It took 4 days for us just to make the movement to hurricane duty. Nice epic fail orella.

                          Medic1805, sorry my comments have drawn so much attention on your thread. I try to let people on here know what they have to look forward to in the guard by sharing some of my own experiences. You will notice that others have tried to belittle my comments by making them a joke. This is a common thing in the military. Something to do with others being insecure.

                          Good luck with your decision. I hope everything works out for you.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                            4 days to get there? did you ruck? I can assure you that your hurricane duty does not make us feel insecure. I too have been activated for hurricane duty during hurricane Ivan here in Mississippi. I've also done a 10 month tour in Afghanistan doing route clearance. Others commenting to you have done much more than I have. So yes, we felt that our comments were justified given the misplaced gloom and doom of your personal experience with a hurricane.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Like so many others thinking about joining and want to get some info

                              Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
                              It took 4 days for us just to make the movement to hurricane duty. Nice epic fail orella.

                              Medic1805, sorry my comments have drawn so much attention on your thread. I try to let people on here know what they have to look forward to in the guard by sharing some of my own experiences. You will notice that others have tried to belittle my comments by making them a joke. This is a common thing in the military. Something to do with others being insecure.

                              Good luck with your decision. I hope everything works out for you.
                              We have been fighting and dying in wars for over a decade now, getting deployed for 12+ months with only one week of notice (rewind to 2004 and that's how things were), and here you are crying about being deployed for hurricane duty and using that as a means to dissuade someone from enlisting. Truly magnificent.

                              You've had it easy, bud. Count your blessings.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X