Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight weekends & What do you actually DO in the NG?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight weekends & What do you actually DO in the NG?

I am in the middle of the application process to ANG as a Family Nurse Practitioner. I have a couple of questions which I suppose I could ask my recruiter, but he always seems to give me generic answers.

First, for the weekend trainings, what do people actually DO for the weekend? As a nurse practitioner, would I be actively seeing patients? Or is it like a conference, sitting in a classroom? Or doing something more physical, not necessarily directly work-related? (I'm also training for a marathon, so something physical would be a GREAT way to spend the weekend.)

Second, I have small children at home, and wonder if it's ever allowed to go home for the overnight if I'm training somewhere not far from home. The army base is a 45 minute drive from home, so I could presumably drive home and be back the next morning. Just wondered if that's even allowed.

Thanks!

Re: Overnight weekends & What do you actually DO in the NG?

ANG is Air Force National Guard. Are you joining the Army or Air Force? Also, I use to live an hour from drill and drove home on Saturday to return Sunday.

Comment

I am new on this forum.

As I understand it, you are deciding whether or not to join the National Guard. May I ask what your reasons for joining are?

Comment

In regards to what you will be doing for the weekend, that totally depends on where you are assigned. In my unit we have 2 PA's and when we are at home station they are catching up on paperwork and admin stuff, but when we are out in the field they setup a medic area and then one hangs out there while the other roams around seeing how things are going and socializing (not in a bad way, but keeping in touch with the troops). However, if your assigned to a medic unit then you could be very busy on drill weekends seeing soldiers and doing physicals.

As for going home on Saturday night, that depends on how far you are from your unit. Most of the people I know go home after drill on Saturday, but a few live too far away so they stay overnight. Some just pull out a cot and sleep in an office or some stay with friends. But once again, depends on the unit. If you have a unit that is in the field over night a lot then that is where you will be. But for the most part, if you are at home station you can go home at night.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnacht View Post
          I am in the middle of the application process to ANG as a Family Nurse Practitioner. I have a couple of questions which I suppose I could ask my recruiter, but he always seems to give me generic answers.

First, for the weekend trainings, what do people actually DO for the weekend? As a nurse practitioner, would I be actively seeing patients? Or is it like a conference, sitting in a classroom? Or doing something more physical, not necessarily directly work-related? (I'm also training for a marathon, so something physical would be a GREAT way to spend the weekend.)

Second, I have small children at home, and wonder if it's ever allowed to go home for the overnight if I'm training somewhere not far from home. The army base is a 45 minute drive from home, so I could presumably drive home and be back the next morning. Just wondered if that's even allowed.

Thanks!
          Depending on your state funds and the unit you're attached to, they may even set up in a hotel. In Alabama the standard is you have to live at least 50 miles from your unit to qualify for overnight room and board. However, if need be, you can get a military discount and pay for your own room. Reason I'm saying this is this could be an option--an alternative to having to drive all the way back home to see your kids. Bring the kids and whomever is watching them with you. That way they'll be close by.

Comment

You can go home after drill. Ohio has a 75 mile rule before they set you up in a hotel with a roomate. As for your AT sometimes you are confirmed to base for those two weeks. As for the physical stuff, not sure you'll get alot of it as a NP (I'm JAG). But most armories have little workout rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
              ...But most armories have little workout rooms.
              Group PT outside and circuit training is what you could probably look forward to...

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                You can go home after drill. Ohio has a 75 mile rule before they set you up in a hotel with a roomate. As for your AT sometimes you are confirmed to base for those two weeks. As for the physical stuff, not sure you'll get alot of it as a NP (I'm JAG). But most armories have little workout rooms.
                WWWWWWWWWHAT!!!!!!!??????????????

Comment

Could be worse, my unit has a 100 mile minimum to qualify for a paid hotel room, and it's only for E4 and below.

Comment

Sometimes I get lucky and get to stay alone. Frankly, it is helping me meet my new teammates so except for the snoring, I'm ok with it. Moreover, I'll have to do it at for my initial training this summer so might as well get used to it. As for the Group PT, I suspect that as a DC Mcnacht might not have to suffer the Group PT.

Comment

As a National Guard soldier, I am required by my contract to serve 48 mutas per year and 15 days AT. Last year I did the 15 day AT and 56 mutas of training. The extra mutas were 3 and 4 day drill weekends. It is actually a breach of contract to force a soldier to attend that many mutas in one year but you will hear no mention of that from anyone. If you think it will be hard to tell your employer that you are missing 15 days of work for AT, try explaining that you will also be missing work on several other occasions throughout the year in order to attend weekend drill (Thursday-Sunday).

Please do not just expect the best scenario from your joining the National Guard. Every soldier's experience is unique. Just a simple drill weekend can be exhausting and it sounds like you have a full plate already with children to raise. The military can be a great burden on a person. The pay is peanuts for what we go through.

Check out the movie Invisible War. It's on Netflix. It shows how quickly things can go wrong for a soldier and how helpless they can be. Once you sign, they own you.

Comment

Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
                        As a National Guard soldier, I am required by my contract to serve 48 mutas per year and 15 days AT. Last year I did the 15 day AT and 56 mutas of training. The extra mutas were 3 and 4 day drill weekends. It is actually a breach of contract to force a soldier to attend that many mutas in one year but you will hear no mention of that from anyone. If you think it will be hard to tell your employer that you are missing 15 days of work for AT, try explaining that you will also be missing work on several other occasions throughout the year in order to attend weekend drill (Thursday-Sunday).

Please do not just expect the best scenario from your joining the National Guard. Every soldier's experience is unique. Just a simple drill weekend can be exhausting and it sounds like you have a full plate already with children to raise. The military can be a great burden on a person. The pay is peanuts for what we go through.

Check out the movie Invisible War. It's on Netflix. It shows how quickly things can go wrong for a soldier and how helpless they can be. Once you sign, they own you.
                        That movie is a documentary about sexual assault in our armed forces.

Comment

It shows how quickly things can go wrong for a soldier and how helpless they can be.

Comment

Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
                            The pay is peanuts for what we go through.
                            The civilian world would have to pay me 74,000 to bring home what I bring home. Im quite content.

Comment

And I trust that you earned it. Most Guard soldiers do not make that. I can give you my paypal if you're feeling generous.
                              Last edited by kvrL33; April 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X