Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overnight weekends & What do you actually DO in the NG?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overnight weekends & What do you actually DO in the NG?

Originally posted by kvrL33 View Post
    And I trust that you earned it. Most Guard soldiers do not make that. I can give you my paypal if your feeling generous.
    If they are an active duty E-6 they do earn that.

Comment

Please do not just expect the best scenario from your joining the National Guard. Every soldier's experience is unique. Just a simple drill weekend can be exhausting and it sounds like you have a full plate already with children to raise. The military can be a great burden on a person. The pay is peanuts for what we go through.

Check out the movie Invisible War. It's on Netflix. It shows how quickly things can go wrong for a soldier and how helpless they can be. Once you sign, they own you.
      There are many different viewpoints to consider. Obviously this is not the path to take for ANYONE if someone is expecting this to be a primary source of income, especially if you can't get an AGR job. For me, this is a second job. Except for going to schools the time spent is negligible. A person will come to learn very quickly that they're going to have to make their Guard career happen on their own. It's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter. I've heard sad story after sad story about how the military treats people. Except for problems that occur on deployments much of the stateside issues soldiers go through can be avoided--Nearly everytime someone cries on my shoulder I ask a question that starts with 'did you take this course of action...?' The response is usually no. Researching and networking alleviates the helplessness one can feel while building a military career. Initiative, drive, resourcefulness, perserverance, and determination is a MUST.
      Last edited by VICEROY06; April 22nd, 2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

As a National Guard soldier, I am required by my contract to serve 48 mutas per year and 15 days AT. Last year I did the 15 day AT and 56 mutas of training. The extra mutas were 3 and 4 day drill weekends. It is actually a breach of contract to force a soldier to attend that many mutas in one year but you will hear no mention of that from anyone. If you think it will be hard to tell your employer that you are missing 15 days of work for AT, try explaining that you will also be missing work on several other occasions throughout the year in order to attend weekend drill (Thursday-Sunday).

Please do not just expect the best scenario from your joining the National Guard. Every soldier's experience is unique. Just a simple drill weekend can be exhausting and it sounds like you have a full plate already with children to raise. The military can be a great burden on a person. The pay is peanuts for what we go through.

Check out the movie Invisible War. It's on Netflix. It shows how quickly things can go wrong for a soldier and how helpless they can be. Once you sign, they own you.
        If you're not happy, apply for a hardship. I can't believe your CO would have much of an issue not being responsible for you anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
          If you're not happy, apply for a hardship. I can't believe your CO would have much of an issue not being responsible for you anymore.
          Ha! Love it! Apparently this guy is either trying to up his Troll Level or has some issues that he needs to work through.

Comment

I thought with that video recommendation, it was a female.

Comment

The "MUTA 6 drills are a breach of contract" attitude leads me to believe the soldier may be a barracks lawyer and a general burden, gender irrelevant. Hopefully nobody listens to his/her advice.

"I will always place the mission first," (unless the mission starts on a Friday)
              Last edited by Lance13A; April 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                The "MUTA 6 drills are a breach of contract" attitude leads me to believe the soldier may be a barracks lawyer and a general burden, gender irrelevant. Hopefully nobody listens to his/her advice.

"I will always place the mission first," (unless the mission starts on a Friday)
                That's one of those things that the Marines do very, very well. When they are at Boot Camp, they indoctrinate their recruits extremely well and they *really* live it. Honor, Courage, Commitment.

That's something that we, as a force, have been struggling with for a very long time... You could almost pin the timeframe to about 2003 or so. And I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  I thought with that video recommendation, it was a female.
                  very sexist remark

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                    There are many different viewpoints to consider. Obviously this is not the path to take for ANYONE if someone is expecting this to be a primary source of income, especially if you can't get an AGR job. For me, this is a second job. Except for going to schools the time spent is negligible. A person will come to learn very quickly that they're going to have to make their Guard career happen on their own. It's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter. I've heard sad story after sad story about how the military treats people. Except for problems that occur on deployments much of the stateside issues soldiers go through can be avoided--Nearly everytime someone cries on my shoulder I ask a question that starts with 'did you take this course of action...?' The response is usually no. Researching and networking alleviates the helplessness one can feel while building a military career. Initiative, drive, resourcefulness, perserverance, and determination is a MUST.
                    What you are saying is that you find a way to blame the person who is struggling or presenting an issue. That way you can justify not helping them. The doctor at sick call in Afghanistan did that to me. It worked out quite well for him. Not so much for me.

Comment

What you are saying is that you find a way to blame the person who is struggling or presenting an issue. That way you can justify not helping them. The doctor at sick call in Afghanistan did that to me. It worked out quite well for him. Not so much for me.
                      No, what he is saying is that instead of crying on someone's shoulder and letting someone else take care of your tissue-issue, do your own legwork and find the resources to get whatever help you need, be it medical, psychological, financial or whatever. It's part of that whole "personal courage" thing... Nothing ever gets solved by sitting on your duff and crying about it.

That probably sounds harsh to the average civilian on the street, but this is the Army. Get over it or get out.

Comment

kvrL33 - I sense you are not doing well in the Army National Guard and are blaming them for your misfortunes, ultimately running each thread you post in off topic.

Stay on topic, encourage the OPs to do the right thing, and start acting like a soldier. This will be the only time I suggest this.

Comment

You are wrong. I am doing fine in the national guard. The only reason I have posted off topic is because I felt the need to defend myself after others attacked my posts. I didn't even say anything bad about the ng, I just tried to let someone know that the ng isn't easy. I try to be honest.

I am not sure what misfortunes you are talking about.

You may want to give lessons to the members of this forum who feel the need to belittle my posts and insult me.

Thanks.

Comment

I think this thread has lost track of the original focus of the OP. The answers have been given that depending on distance and CoC going home at night is reasonable. As far as what is done during the drill weekend depends on your unit, state, MOS and to an extent you own drive to do more than the bare minimum. Hopefully these things have answered your questions. If you have more, don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

You are wrong. I am doing fine in the national guard. The only reason I have posted off topic is because I felt the need to defend myself after others attacked my posts. I didn't even say anything bad about the ng, I just tried to let someone know that the ng isn't easy. I try to be honest.

I am not sure what misfortunes you are talking about.

You may want to give lessons to the members of this forum who feel the need to belittle my posts and insult me.

Thanks.
                              Oh please. We've been watching your posts and what happens to every thread you inject with that attitude of yours. Anyone insulting or baiting people to insult, gets the same punishment. Take your warning and move on.

>>CLICK<<

Comment

Working...
                              X