Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How exactly does a National Guard contract work and how long does it last?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How exactly does a National Guard contract work and how long does it last?

I am currently a sophmore in high school but due to my age my local guard (Army) recruiter told me I can join up around the end of June or early July this summer. Before I go to his office to begin seriously thinking about joining I just would like to know how does a four year contract work and is the extended four years in the reserves required? Because I want to ultimately get an NROTC contract and commission in the Navy and I know that you can't accept a contract with one service without finishing a contract with another. Would the National Guard release me from my reserves portion of the contract for NROTC since my actively serving portion would be expired by my junior year in college? Or am I going to have to choose to wait and just go straight into NROTC or join the guard but do AROTC (which I don't want to do). It's just that I really want to join the guard but at the same time I want to make a career out of the Navy.

Re: How exactly does a National Guard contract work and how long does it last?

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
    I am currently a sophmore in high school but due to my age my local guard (Army) recruiter told me I can join up around the end of June or early July this summer. Before I go to his office to begin seriously thinking about joining I just would like to know how does a four year contract work and is the extended four years in the reserves required? Because I want to ultimately get an NROTC contract and commission in the Navy and I know that you can't accept a contract with one service without finishing a contract with another. Would the National Guard release me from my reserves portion of the contract for NROTC since my actively serving portion would be expired by my junior year in college? Or am I going to have to choose to wait and just go straight into NROTC or join the guard but do AROTC (which I don't want to do). It's just that I really want to join the guard but at the same time I want to make a career out of the Navy.
    Soooo.....for the simplest approach, why not navy reserve.

Comment

Because I want to serve in high school and the reserves require a diploma. I am also not well informed about the reserves and with tuition assistance being cut they may be a waste of my time. However it is still on the table as a back-up option if the guard doesn't seem possible.

Comment

Because I want to serve in high school and the reserves require a diploma. I am also not well informed about the reserves and with tuition assistance being cut they may be a waste of my time. However it is still on the table as a back-up option if the guard doesn't seem possible.
        I can't speak for navy tuition assistance but Army already re instated theirs.

As far as serving in high school, the split op program is meant for those who want to attend college on time. Not to try and be cool in High School and pull tail. That train of thought will end your career faster than it starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
          I can't speak for navy tuition assistance but Army already re instated theirs.

As far as serving in high school, the split op program is meant for those who want to attend college on time. Not to try and be cool in High School and pull tail. That train of thought will end your career faster than it starts.
          I can assure I am wanting to join the guard not out of looking cool but for training and benefits which will help lay a foundation for the military career I want to pursue. I would love to say I served in both the Army and the Navy and have the experience of both branches. I also think that having prior enlisted experience will help me connect to the enlisted who would be under my command as an officer and I am also currently an Air Force cadet and I want to take advantage of the bonuses I would get if I enlisted due to my cadet experience.

Comment

Because I want to ultimately get an NROTC contract and commission in the Navy and I know that you can't accept a contract with one service without finishing a contract with another. Would the National Guard release me from my reserves portion of the contract for NROTC since my actively serving portion would be expired by my junior year in college?
            Yes, the Guard will release you in order to contract with Navy ROTC.

Since that is your plan, ensure that you accept only incentives and benefits that fit with your plan. Thus, do not accept a benefit that carries a specific contractual service obligation that you do not plan to fulfill. Look at my signature block for some background on that topic.

Comment

Ah, thank-you sir finally a straight answer. I also recently spoke with a friend of mine in the national guard and from the way he talked about the reserve portion of the contract further supports what you said.

Comment

Ensure that you keep your ARNG chain of command informed as to your situation and plans, particularly when within one year of contracting with NROTC. Your Guard unit has no idea what's going on with NROTC unless you tell them, so expect that you personally will take charge of this transition process. If you expect to direct a ship's operations you should have the responsibility and foresight to manage your transition wisely and proactively.

Comment

Working...
                X