X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worthless?

This may seem like a rant or venting and it may have been said before and I apologize if it has.

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight and how I was leaving for basic training for the National Guard so he then started bashing it. Pretty much just saying that the NG is worthless and that you don't really learn anything and if i were caught behind enemy lines I'm pretty much dead since I'm NG and the training, as well as the component is weak. He was even surprised when I told him that they deploy overseas. He's pretty much has the mindset of "Marines are the best" and that when he's out of high school that's what he's going to do and I asked why and he said "so I can be a jarhead". I try to be proud of being in the NG but people keep throwing the whole "nasty girl" comment out and you'll never like a Marine.

So I guess my questions are, is the National Guard really weak and are our soldiers not that well trained and pretty much seen as worthless?

Again I apologize if this comes off as whining.

Re: Worthless?

Originally posted by Hood49 View Post
    So I guess my questions are, is the National Guard really weak and are our soldiers not that well trained and pretty much seen as worthless?
    Well, I don't know about you, but I'm one tough son of a bitch.

Comment

And he would know all this because of his extensive life experience and broad academic knowledge?

In general, people who find it necessary to put down others do so out of their own insecurities and inadequacies. I wouldn't worry about him, his ranting is more about himself than you.

Yes, you'll never be like a Marine, but that isn't all bad.

Comment

This may seem like a rant or venting and it may have been said before and I apologize if it has.

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight and how I was leaving for basic training for the National Guard so he then started bashing it. Pretty much just saying that the NG is worthless and that you don't really learn anything and if i were caught behind enemy lines I'm pretty much dead since I'm NG and the training, as well as the component is weak. He was even surprised when I told him that they deploy overseas..........
        Yeah. Right.

When he was "surprised" to hear that Guard members deploy that should have been enough proof for you to walk away from that chit bag right there.

Let me guess: This clown is probably a chain-smoking, comic book-collecting, no hygenie-having, pants sagging halfway to his knees, pot-bellied, high school drop-out that couldn't perform a sit-up if he was sitting in a reclining lay-Z-boy chair.

The closest he's ever been to a military experience was watching Cher's tribute to the Navy on VH1 pop-up video or catching a re-run of Heartbreak Ridge. He would get laughed at even by the fat, nerdy kids during the medical examination phase at MEPS.

There are members of all branches of the Armed Forces, reserve and active duty, that will sprinkle some hot sauce on a 7.62 round and eat it and dead lift a Stryker. I'm one of them guys. There are also members of the Armed Forces that are some Gomer Pyles' that couldn't tie their boot laces right if you gave them and instructional video. Even those guys have more heart and determination than that pimple face twirp you call a friend.

Ignore that bottom feeder. Don't let him rob you of your spirit and motivation.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; April 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

The tool doesn't realize that there are plenty of NG that transitioned from all branches of active duty. These days, those who came over have been deployed multiple times.

Comment

I've been to Iraq; driving the highways, riding through Nasiriyah, and flying the skies. I'd do it again.

It is all a mental game, don't let him get to you. My brother was in the Marines for 4 years and he still gives me hell. My dad was in the Air Force for 20 years and he even gives me hell!

Comment

Just remember that all branches of the military serve the same purpose.

Don't worry about it.

Comment

when he's out of high school that's what he's going to do
                That's really all I needed to know about this kid.

Comment

I've been to Iraq; driving the highways, riding through Nasiriyah, and flying the skies. I'd do it again.

It is all a mental game, don't let him get to you. My brother was in the Marines for 4 years and he still gives me hell. My dad was in the Air Force for 20 years and he even gives me hell!

God Bless you. Funny, how perspectives differ. Below is the video that I have shown when I filmed in 2006 as a TC, when I was an MP.

Indigenous sticking their tongues out at me, receiving SAF to my humvee, watching gas pipelines explode, having IEDs blow up 200 meters from me.

No, I never want to see that place ever again. Double-click the photo below.

Comment

He's pretty much has the mindset of "Marines are the best" and that when he's out of high school that's what he's going to do and I asked why and he said "so I can be a jarhead".
                    I didn't catch that earlier.

Are you mother plucking serious?

Tell Ben10 there to see if he can pass the school exit exam first, then see if his mommy can help him find a way to a recruiter before he gets all excited about being a Jarhead.

Comment

Look up the 19th and 20th Special Forces Groups.

Comment

I don't know about your high school friend, but I'll tear someone's throat out.
                        Last edited by matthew.ritchie; April 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM. Reason: inappropriate verbiage

Comment

There are certainly more than enough responses here to sufficiently answer your question but I have to throw in my 2 cents. There has been, is now, and always will be "friendly competition" between members of the different branches of the Armed Forces. However, you ask any active duty Marine, Army, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard member and you'll get the same answers these guys are giving you. I'd venture to say that some if not most of the guys responding, myself included, are former active duty. One day your friend may grow up and see the bigger picture....hopefully.

Comment

What your "friend" fails to comprehend is that a good portion of the guard are combat tested and harden veterans from the active duty sides of all 4 branches of the military. I my self have been to Afghanistan twice with the active duty Army. Many of my infantry friends who have served tours in the Infamous korengal valley (look it up) have switched over to the Army National Guard. I would dare your "friend" to talk bad about those guys. When it comes being physically tougher than someone else that is completely and 100% up to your self. Army PT is designed to "maintain" a good level of physical fitness. Doing PT on your own time is what sets PT studs away from PT duds. Also the National guard does alot of maneuver missions, key leader engagements, route clearance and high visibility tasks down range, and just like the Active Army they do it to and above standard. In short tell your "friend" to suck it.

~SGT Bortle

Comment

Originally posted by RedSpartan40 View Post
                              What your "friend" fails to comprehend is that a good portion of the guard are combat tested and harden veterans from the active duty sides of all 4 branches of the military. I my self have been to Afghanistan twice with the active duty Army. Many of my infantry friends who have served tours in the Infamous korengal valley (look it up) have switched over to the Army National Guard. I would dare your "friend" to talk bad about those guys. When it comes being physically tougher than someone else that is completely and 100% up to your self. Army PT is designed to "maintain" a good level of physical fitness. Doing PT on your own time is what sets PT studs away from PT duds. Also the National guard does alot of maneuver missions, key leader engagements, route clearance and high visibility tasks down range, and just like the Active Army they do it to and above standard. In short tell your "friend" to suck it.

~SGT Bortle
                              Damn right. It's actually easier to be in the Army than it is to be in the National Guard. When ALL YOU DO is eat, drink, and sleep Army 5 days a week it's EASY to stay in shape and be up to speed on all that's Army. But when you're in the Guard and have a completely separate life that takes you light years away from any kind of military lifestyle for weeks on end, then have to be ready to PERFORM on moments notice that's a horse of a different color.

My job and family keeps me pretty damn busy these days and my PT score suffers (high 240's) the older my grandkids get and the more time I have to spend with my wife to keep her quiet due to all this training I keep chasing. But once I'm in the mode of doing PT everyday my score runs back up to the high 280's.
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; April 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X