Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting fired from job

Originally posted by tyl View Post
    My company has already won an award from ESGR. I had a coworker that was in the guard and when he was deployed in 2004 my company bought and shipped several supplies to the soliders in his unit. Several employees and the former CEO that is now retired went to big awards ceromony and got a nice plaque that hangs on the wall for everyone to see. Now the new CEO is doing this to me........
    Yeah.

He don't get it.

Clue him in with an ESGR card AFTER you've already enlisted.

Give the ESGR card to him on a Friday.

Then tell him VICEROY said enjoy your weekend.

Comment

I understand the employer got everyone on the defense and against this guy. Hopefully he is just uninformed and once informed, he will sing a new tune. But the Guard as a whole wants to have good working relationships with the civilian employers and it is never recommended to wait too long to inform employers of time you will be spending away from them. We want to have good relationships and not try to pull surprises on them. Granted if this guy doesnt change his tune after being informed, then maybe he doesnt deserve the respect, but lets hope it is not the case, he gains information, treats employee well and moving forward everyone will be as best informed as possible. And OP, READ THE ESGR site!!

Comment

Whats the name of this company in question?

Comment

I had worked for my large employer for 15 years when I joined up. My boss was british and didn't know the laws and so she basically told me that joining up would end my career, which it did 3 months after I joined. I was a project manager and they just said there were no more projects and let me go. So I looked into the laws. Best case scenario was that the company would get fined (none of which I would get) and I would get my original job back at original pay with no loss of time in grade.

That being said, do you want to go back to work for a company that was just fined and a manager that didn't really want you around anyways because you joined up. It wasn't worth it to me so I let it go. There are a lot of Guard friendly employees out there, I didn't want to work for a company that didn't see the benefits that it could offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
            I had worked for my large employer for 15 years when I joined up. My boss was british and didn't know the laws and so she basically told me that joining up would end my career, which it did 3 months after I joined. I was a project manager and they just said there were no more projects and let me go. So I looked into the laws. Best case scenario was that the company would get fined (none of which I would get) and I would get my original job back at original pay with no loss of time in grade.

That being said, do you want to go back to work for a company that was just fined and a manager that didn't really want you around anyways because you joined up. It wasn't worth it to me so I let it go. There are a lot of Guard friendly employees out there, I didn't want to work for a company that didn't see the benefits that it could offer.
            Very good point, Sir! Same here but it was a crappy fill in the time kinda job. Bartending the year before I left on a deployment. Came back, lost amount of hours I was previously working and seniority. Plus the person hired in my place was a big enemy of mine who was given more seniority. I fought for awhile but then when employer pencil whipped the scheduled hours the year before I left to make it look like I had worked less hours...it wasnt a fight I wanted anymore. I could prove it with a points history done, when I was on orders and unable to work and why I wasnt on the bar schedule, but it wasnt worth my time and effort. Why work for someone trying so hard to make my life miserable even if it wasnt his intention. And was a Vet himself. The lawyers I called in the small city I lived in would ask first which tavern, and once thy knew it was one that was more of a neighborhood type bar and didnt have a huge income, they would decline hearing my story. Not to mention it was where lawyers went out to have a good time when they wanted to stay away from the mainstream bars. ESGR right away told me he didnt think it was employers intention to not follow the law when he found out he was a Vet. But hopefully the company in question from OP will get informed and be g2g. I dont blame them if they dont know the laws. Everyone looks out for themselves first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
              That said, I'm pretty sure that nothing prevents him from firing you "before" you join.
              Actually, the ESGR includes clauses that the employer also cannot coerce you out of joining as well....Just sayin'

Comment

Yeah, the thing is, my employer says that since my position is so hard to train he just could not replace me without months of training someone, then he would not train them then let me have my job back because it would be unfair to that person so he would be allowed to let me go because I am putting the company in a bind. I also would hate to loose my job because of the pay and benefits but not sure wether to press the issue. I really want to serve though. I work for a network company.

Comment

Yeah, the thing is, my employer says that since my position is so hard to train he just could not replace me without months of training someone, then he would not train them then let me have my job back because it would be unfair to that person so he would be allowed to let me go because I am putting the company in a bind.
                  Too bad for him. It's illegal to let you go or talk you out of joining.

Comment

Yeah, the thing is, my employer says that since my position is so hard to train he just could not replace me without months of training someone, then he would not train them then let me have my job back because it would be unfair to that person so he would be allowed to let me go because I am putting the company in a bind. I also would hate to loose my job because of the pay and benefits but not sure wether to press the issue. I really want to serve though. I work for a network company.
                    And your boss looked you dead in the face with no emotion or facial expression when he told you that bold faced lie.

That's what temp agencies are for.

And your boss KNOWS this.

You can train and employ someone from a temp agency as long as you want and STILL let them go. That's why it's called a TEMP agency, ergo, TEMP employee. That's the nature of a temp agency.
                    Last edited by VICEROY06; April 16th, 2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

And to tag on to what VICREOY said, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) addresses this specifically.

REEMPLOYMENT RIGHTS
                      You have the right to be reemployed in your civilian job if you leave that job to perform service in the uniformed service and:
                      - you ensure that your employer receives advance written or verbal notice of your service;
                      - you have five years or less of cumulative service in the uniformed services while with that particular employer;
                      - you return to work or apply for reemployment in a timely manner after conclusion of service; and
                      - you have not been separated from service with a disqualifying discharge or under other than honorable conditions.

If you are eligible to be reemployed, you must be restored to the job and benefits you would have attained if you had not been absent due to military service or, in some cases, a comparable job.

RIGHT TO BE FREE FROM DISCRIMINATION AND RETALIATION
                      If you:
                      - are a past or present member of the uniformed service;
                      - have applied for membership in the uniformed service; or
                      - are obligated to serve in the uniformed service;

then an employer may not deny you:
                      - initial employment;
                      - reemployment;
                      - retention in employment; - promotion; or
                      - any benefit of employment.

Comment

Working...
                      X