Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wearing uniform in public?

Originally posted by ZAK606 View Post
    To sum it up, after drill, my battle and I went to the hotel and realized I didn't have civilian clothes. Went to the mall down the street to buy some and we were approached by a retired sergeant. He asked why I was in uniform. I told him I needed to buy clothes and asked our unit etc. He said not to make a habit of it. Seeing as we had drill today and tomorrow, am I ok? Was I out of regulation?
    I probably would have just told him that I wasn't even in the military but that I like wearing the uniforms for playing airsoft/paintball/hopscotch, laughed, and kept walking.

There's no hard-and-fast rule on this. It's really your commander's call. In my opinion, you were totally fine and you just happened to run into an @$$hole who saw a private and decided to play "tough guy." Still, when things like this happen, it's good to inform your chain of command so that they hear it from you before they hear it from Sergeant Major X.

Comment

Just don't be this guy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	675b5ff4f8e8b99534876d039180159b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	399

Or this chode!

Name:	228dcec403f92de12587107fb9737c28.jpg
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	400

Or my personal favorite.... SSG Infantry/Sir Quartermaster!

Name:	b8d459ed6ea40aabddd82b997378b611.jpg
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	401
      Last edited by TxIntel 1978; April 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
        I am very proud to wear the uniform and frankly at my age lucky to be able to wear it. But having Vietnam vets thank me for my service when I am brand new felt weird. I don't know if this makes sense but I felt like the guy who wears his uniform at inappropriate times just to get attention and I don't want to be "that guy".
        Get used to it. Just say "thanks," and accept their gratitude on behalf of the guys that aren't around to be thanked anymore. That's how I handle it.

Comment

Pay it forward. Next time you see a WW2/Korean War/Vietnam vet, etc....tell them thanks. We should never forget about the generations that came before us.

Comment

Working...
          X