X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing uniform in public?

To sum it up, after drill, my battle and I went to the hotel and realized I didn't have civilian clothes. Went to the mall down the street to buy some and we were approached by a retired sergeant. He asked why I was in uniform. I told him I needed to buy clothes and asked our unit etc. He said not to make a habit of it. Seeing as we had drill today and tomorrow, am I ok? Was I out of regulation?

Re: Wearing uniform in public?

Policies differ between the branches and components. Around Fort Carson, it is typical to see Soldiers in ACUs in the WalMart, Mall, China Buffet, etc; since it is a military community. If I am walking down the street in ACUs in New York City; that may raise some eyebrows.

The Marine Corps refrain from utility wear off-base. Overseas, like in Germany, due to safety reasons, we were told we no longer can wear our uniform when we even drive home.

Guard is know to wear the uniform from home to place and duty and back. Wearing the uniform to go to the mall is not an issue and should just take the tongue-lashing with a grain of salt and drive on.

Comment

A new LT just transferred to my unit from Illinois, and apparently at his unit, they didn't allow the soldiers to change into civvies on Saturday night. Everybody was told to keep their uniforms on until final formation on Sunday. He said you'd see all the privates out at restaurants and stuff in their uniforms. I can only guess it was to use AR 670-1 to prevent them from going to the bars...

Comment

In your situation I personally would find it okay. typically its okay to be public in uniform if you are making a quick stop for groceries, gas, or for lunch during or on the way home from a duty day. It becomes an issue when you start leisurely walking around in uniform or travel long distances.

though some may call me out on this

Comment

As long as you not in your civilian club with your ACUs doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            As long as you not in your civilian club with your ACUs doing this.

Look at the guys seated on the left:

Col. John Richardson: Was this your idea First Sergeant?

1st Sergeant Levine: No sir. Crazy ass vertical construction sergeants from the 877th, sir.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; April 10th, 2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

First Sergeant would have actually said "anything to keep females out of combat" lol

Comment

Afterwards, they all had to peel potatoes for a week. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  First Sergeant would have actually said "anything to keep females out of combat" lol
                  HAHA HA!!

Comment

My question is how do you do lunch? Pretty much most my Guard unit goes out to lunch in uniform. And no one bats an eye. However we all change to civilian clothes Saturday night. I made the mistake of wearing my uniform in public last drill (ate at 0615 and went straight to dinner at 1700). I was mobbed by folks thanking me for my service. Felt nice knowing people cared by damn I felt like a douche.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                      My question is how do you do lunch? Pretty much most my Guard unit goes out to lunch in uniform. And no one bats an eye. However we all change to civilian clothes Saturday night. I made the mistake of wearing my uniform in public last drill (ate at 0615 and went straight to dinner at 1700). I was mobbed by folks thanking me for my service. Felt nice knowing people cared by damn I felt like a douche.
                      Why do you feel that way? Ok short soap-box moment. Maybe you're fresh on the scene and don't have a deployment under your belt or anything of that nature, but that uniform means something. In cases like you described you'll see that it still garners respect from the American public, which is actually refreshing after such a long period of conflict. That uniform means much more than just what you've put into it. Don't feel like a douche, just feel proud to represent all that it stands for.

Comment

I am very proud to wear the uniform and frankly at my age lucky to be able to wear it. But having Vietnam vets thank me for my service when I am brand new felt weird. I don't know if this makes sense but I felt like the guy who wears his uniform at inappropriate times just to get attention and I don't want to be "that guy".

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                          Why do you feel that way? Ok short soap-box moment.

Okay, wait a minute. Let me set the moment for you:

Okay. Lights...camera....ACTION!

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                          Maybe you're fresh on the scene and don't have a deployment under your belt or anything of that nature, but that uniform means something. In cases like you described you'll see that it still garners respect from the American public, which is actually refreshing after such a long period of conflict. That uniform means much more than just what you've put into it. Don't feel like a douche, just feel proud to represent all that it stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                            Okay, wait a minute. Let me set the moment for you:

Okay. Lights...camera....ACTION!
                            Nice LOL.

Comment

Generally its to and from a military function which can include errands along way. One of the fulltimers here shows up to his son's baseball practice (our boys are on the same team) in uniform. I would always change if I had time to so I would be more comfortable and I try to avoid attention from the public if I can.

But then again, we infantry types actually got dirt on ours so I never looked as crisp and clean as everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X