X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!

Hi, I am currently exploring my options about joining the Guard but even after meeting with a recruiter I am still confused. I understand all of the perks of joining and I have always wanted to do something that will help our country. I understand that the Guard will help me with school, while allowing me to live at home and continue with my future career. I am currently a college student and with joining I will be missing a year of school. My biggest worry that is making it hard for me to decide is being deployed or not. The recruiter told me that it is not often that anyone from the Guard is deployed, but after talking with some people that are in the Army they have told me that it is frequent that the Guard is deployed. I am confused on what to believe. What is the chances I would be deployed? What are some stories of you that are involved? What is the experience like? I want to make sure I am making the right choice before I go and sign my life away so that I won't regret it. Also, how do I find all of the "jobs" that are offered in WV? I am struggling to find something that I would love to do since I am unsure of what all is offered. Any help will be amazing. Thank you all for everything that you do!

Re: HELP!

This is the army. We go to war. I was like you. Two weeks after my AIT I was deployed. The national guard deploys. And it should be seen as an honor to a soldier rather than a hindrance as you describe it. I suggest you look into the air national guard.

Comment

Yes, I understand that this is the army, that we go to war. I do see it as an honor but I also find it very scary. I am sure I am not the only person that has ever had the feeling. I have looked very into depth with all of my options, and I am not interested in the Air National Guard. I am wanting to hear others stories and see how they feel, and not go by what one person has told me. A recruiters job is to recruit and may mean that they are not always going to tell the truth. I am just trying to learn others experiences and see if anyone can relate.

Comment

Yes it is scary. Nobody goes to war without at least a little anxiety. The important thing is to accept that you will more than likely be deployed. Fear is normal and can be healthy. I was afraid. I was 19 and didn't feel like I knew anything. But I received the training during mobilization and my confidence grew. That is part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by klynnn16 View Post
          Yes, I understand that this is the army, that we go to war. I do see it as an honor but I also find it very scary. I am sure I am not the only person that has ever had the feeling. I have looked very into depth with all of my options, and I am not interested in the Air National Guard. I am wanting to hear others stories and see how they feel, and not go by what one person has told me. A recruiters job is to recruit and may mean that they are not always going to tell the truth. I am just trying to learn others experiences and see if anyone can relate.
          I can certainly tell you that if your recruiter said verbatim that the Guard 'doesn't deploy all that much' then that recruiter lied to you, and his/her ACU's are on fire.

I've only been in the National Guard since 2011 and I've already missed two deployments mainly due to the timing of my training, having my MOS changed twice, being attached to three different units, and going to OCS. Even in the midst of the so-called draw down a garrison in Mobile, AL was just activated a couple days ago. But then again all it takes is having watched any number of news stations in the past decade or so, particularly, since 9/11, to know that the U.S. has been in overdrive on deployments. I certainly hope, though, that by the time I'm done with OCS that I may by some shred of hope get the chance to deploy.

I can also certainly tell you if your current recruiter is willing to lie to you that boldly maybe you need to find another recruiter, like, in a totally different location and hope your new recruiter isn't an old battle buddy of your former recruiter.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; April 5th, 2013, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I just swore in on the 28th of April, and let me tell you that I felt the exact same way while initially considering joining.

I sat down and had a heart to heart with close friends and family. During this discussion it was something my father said to me that made me look at it in a whole different perspective. He said "son I know your not scared of conflict or adversity you are scared of the unknown".

Comment

My recruiter lied to my face and via email then. Someone has contacted me through this post and gave me the name and number of a recruiter that they feel will help me. I have talked with many family and friends and they all have been very supportive and encouraging. I have been communicating with a very close friend that is in the Marines that is in Japan and he is helping me to get a more clear view and understanding idea of what it would be like to be deployed. I had a very different image of what it would be like and he made it realistic. It does bother me that my recruiter lied. It also makes me feel better that I am not the only one to have this feeling! SlowOne- that saying I think sums up how I feel with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by klynnn16 View Post
                My recruiter lied to my face and via email then. Someone has contacted me through this post and gave me the name and number of a recruiter that they feel will help me. I have talked with many family and friends and they all have been very supportive and encouraging. I have been communicating with a very close friend that is in the Marines that is in Japan and he is helping me to get a more clear view and understanding idea of what it would be like to be deployed. I had a very different image of what it would be like and he made it realistic. It does bother me that my recruiter lied. It also makes me feel better that I am not the only one to have this feeling! SlowOne- that saying I think sums up how I feel with everything.
                I will say this, though, that not every recruiter is a liar just like not every teacher is a pedofile and not every cop is a racist pig.

You just have to arm yourself with the facts regardless of what the scenario is. Even if you have a good recruiter you still have to be vigilant and do your research--Don't just sit there passively and let people make decisions for you that will affect your future military career as well as your life. You have to have the initiative to make it happen and even moreso once your recruiter has done his or her job and you're on your own.

Among several military guys that I know, I have four battle buddies, two that are 12W (engineers), which is combat support and 11B, (infantry) which is combat arms. They are a mix of National Guard and Regular Army. I've watched them deploy, post regularly on Facebook and send emails while in country, and return stateside without a scratch.

I also have family members (Regular Army and Navy) who have served in Korea (Korean War), Saudi Arabia (Desert Shield and Storm), and many operations in Iraq, and Afghanistan, some of them repeated tours, ranging in rank from PFC to LTC and all have come home time and time again without a scratch. There are some facts for you to consider below:

National Guard Personnel and Deployments (2008)

Number of National Guard and Military Reserves Mobilized as of 2011
                Last edited by VICEROY06; April 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowOne View Post
                  I just swore in on the 28th of April

28 March?

Comment

Working...
                  X