X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions out of honest curiousity.

Hello, I'm 17 and I graduate from high school June 1st. If I were to sign up for the guard now..would I be going to basic in June? Say, mid-June or soon after graduation? I'm thinking the only way to figure this out is to actually talk to a recruiter and everything, but I'm just here to get a general idea. Also, would I graduate by the time I'm supposed to start college in August? Thank you.

Re: Questions out of honest curiousity.

Whether you ship in June or not depends on availability. Summer month shipping is the busiest and you're definitely behind the curve. It's a first come first serve basis. As far as starting college, no. You need to go to Basic and AIT. Basic is 10 weeks and the shortest AIT is probably 7 weeks all the way to 52 weeks, the most common though is an AIT of maybe 7-14 or so weeks. The variation in time length of course depends on which job you pick. I'm also a senior graduating in June but I planned to be away training so I applied for the Spring semester for college, which is the beginning of 2014. It sounds like you didn't plan ahead. You would need to apply for a later semester because August is definitely a no-no for BCT + AIT.

EDIT: Or you can do Split Op like he said, but that's usually for high school juniors. My philosophy is, being in the same situation as you and all, why do that when you can literally go to college anytime. High school students don't have that option. Better to just get it over with by missing a semester, which isn't a big deal at all. You're training not sitting around the house.
    Last edited by Xalyx; April 3rd, 2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

If you're looking to join and not interrupt your education you need to look into the Split Training Option where you would attend Basic Training this summer, likely leaving early June and returning late August. There are only so many training seats for the summer and you may have a hard time finding one this late in the game. At 17, you're also going to need your parents consent, so, hopefully you've discussed this with them.

Best advice, get in touch with a Recruiter ASAP if this is something you're considering.

Best of luck!!

Comment

From previous experience. My initial recruiting process took about a month or two in total before I even stepped foot at MEPS. If you started the process tomorrow, the odds of finding a ship slot for June is very unlikely and would be too much of a gamble imo. you'll most likely get stuck with a ship out date in august or september at the earliest

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
          From previous experience. My initial recruiting process took about a month or two in total before I even stepped foot at MEPS. If you started the process tomorrow, the odds of finding a ship slot for June is very unlikely and would be too much of a gamble imo. you'll most likely get stuck with a ship out date in august or september at the earliest
          That really depends on the recruit, the recruiter, and where he lives. Really that is typical but only because the recruit hasn't really made up his mind completely yet. You're probably right but I'd say a determined individual could get an early July or late June depending on mos. Usually it is a month or two in between but I have known people personally who did it in 1-2 weeks because they were all business and no BS.
          Last edited by Xalyx; April 3rd, 2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Not true at all. As long as the OP is flexible with his choice of MOS he can still find a split seat up until May. Depending on how motivated he & his Recruiter are, he could be at MEPS enlisting next week. First step is to contact a Recruiter and find out if he's qualified.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
              Not true at all. As long as the OP is flexible with his choice of MOS he can still find a split seat up until May. Depending on how motivated he & his Recruiter are, he could be at MEPS enlisting next week. First step is to contact a Recruiter and find out if he's qualified.
              Yeah, MOS can be a big part of that.

Comment

It well all depend on your MOS. I signed on 20130320 and the earliest date they gave me was 20130813. It was the earliest (At least for 11B). Others that were at MEPS with me with different MOS got date as early as the next month.

You do have the option of Split-Ops where you can attend BCT in the summer and AIT next summer. You still have a few options available.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Xalyx View Post
                  That really depends on the recruit, the recruiter, and where he lives. Really that is typical but only because the recruit hasn't really made up his mind completely yet. You're probably right but I'd say a determined individual could get an early July or late June depending on mos. Usually it is a month or two in between but I have known people personally who did it in 1-2 weeks because they were all business and no BS.
                  Once upon a time about eleven years ago, I started talking to a recruiter in late October. I swore in the first week of November. I was at reception two weeks later, and my first day of BCT was Thanksgiving. It doesn't have to take months.

Comment

You could do 11B OSUT which is 14 weeks total (plus a week or so for reception). It also depends on which college you go to and when they start. Also, talk to the VA at your college and see if they can help make your schedule and make your professors aware of your situation. Some will be willing to allow you to make up anything missed if you're going to miss a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                      Once upon a time about eleven years ago, I started talking to a recruiter in late October. I swore in the first week of November. I was at reception two weeks later, and my first day of BCT was Thanksgiving. It doesn't have to take months.
                      +1.

I signed up in January 13th and shipped in July.

Comment

Originally posted by Tee View Post
                        Hello, I'm 17 and I graduate from high school June 1st. If I were to sign up for the guard now..would I be going to basic in June? Say, mid-June or soon after graduation? I'm thinking the only way to figure this out is to actually talk to a recruiter and everything, but I'm just here to get a general idea. Also, would I graduate by the time I'm supposed to start college in August? Thank you.
                        I'm just going to give you the cold hard truth. If you're not a fat body, have no cardiovascular issues or you're not one of those kids that has sealed court documents/youthful offender hanging over your head you can realistically take the ASVAB the following week, be at MEPS the week after that, get sworn in, and be sitting in your RSP unit by the end of the month if not the beginning of the following month. Any clerical issues or small matters can be taken care of by your first RSP drill.

In an RSP unit with an average of 50 to 80 recruits, anywhere from 3 to 5 of those guys will only see one RSP drill before they're on the bus and shipping off to BCT the following week. 1 to 2 of those guys may even ship on their first RSP drill. In both cases it's extremely rare but I've seen it happen. If you went to MEPS today, spent the night, and got processed the following morning without complications you could realistically be sitting in reception by the end of April if not the end of May and be in a training battalion on day zero by mid May to mid June.
                        Last edited by VICEROY06; April 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Mos specific. I signed October 1 and was at FLW on October 19.

Comment

I'd be attending a junior college until I knock out all my General Ed and earn my AA then transfer to a University. I just need to finish my app online and get in touch with a recruiter ASAP

Comment

It's just that I like to knock as many things out at once as possible. High hopes were put into all my training in Summer and being out. I tried to plan ahead, but what's that going to do without even having a recruiter yet.. Going to finish my online app and make some phone calls

Comment

Working...
                              X