Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about certain deployments.

Hello all!
    I've wanted to join the National Guard since I was a child. I've always thought NR was the right path for me when I read more about their missions. I love the fact of helping others (Both humans and animals) in times of need. I've talked to a few people (not recruiters or those experienced with the military) and they all tell me that if I was to enlist for that sole reason of helping with disasters, I might as well walk away. I would be absolutely terrified if I had to go overseas and do some of the things soldiers have to (Particularly, harming/killing someone). BUT. Something inside me always tells me I should go for it. I've always wanted to find this type of career/life mission of helping others during hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, what have you.

My questions are;
    What are the chances of me being deployed overseas?
    How long after I enlist could I be deployed overseas? (Is it based on rank? Experience with the Guard?)
    If I were to be deployed overseas, is there something I would be stationed as other than fighting? (Helping with food, the wounded?)

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

Re: Question about certain deployments.

Myra,

Didn't you see all the recent threads on the same question that you asked recently? Have you used the search function?

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...yment-Overseas

Comment

Originally posted by Myra View Post
      Hello all!
      I've wanted to join the National Guard since I was a child. I've always thought NR was the right path for me when I read more about their missions. I love the fact of helping others (Both humans and animals) in times of need. I've talked to a few people (not recruiters or those experienced with the military) and they all tell me that if I was to enlist for that sole reason of helping with disasters, I might as well walk away. I would be absolutely terrified if I had to go overseas and do some of the things soldiers have to (Particularly, harming/killing someone). BUT. Something inside me always tells me I should go for it. I've always wanted to find this type of career/life mission of helping others during hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, what have you.

My questions are;
      What are the chances of me being deployed overseas?
      How long after I enlist could I be deployed overseas? (Is it based on rank? Experience with the Guard?)
      If I were to be deployed overseas, is there something I would be stationed as other than fighting? (Helping with food, the wounded?)
      I don't think the Guard is for you then. Or you do not fully understand it. Consider the Red Cross or similar organizations.

Comment

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ht=deployments

And I not trying to be rude. But I think it is always best to provide an introduction as your first post (e.g. age, location, education) to give some idea to the viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
          I don't think the Guard is for you then. Or you do not fully understand it. Consider the Red Cross or similar organizations.
          Or maybe teach for America, Peace Corps, ASPCA or big brothers big sisters.

.....Just sayin'...

Comment

Working...
          X