X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing out before basic?

I have seen threads about getting out, but have never seen the results? I know someone on the high school program that has changed their mind. Is it possible?

Re: Backing out before basic?

Originally posted by thay View Post
    I have seen threads about getting out, but have never seen the results? I know someone on the high school program that has changed their mind. Is it possible?
    Why are you changing your mind?

Comment

Anything is possible.

However, the end result may not be the outcome you want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by thay View Post
        I don't know the EXACT time frame for 'getting out' but I would think that if you've already enlisted, which means you've gone to MEPS, signed your contract, and were sworn in, then handle your business BEFORE you get on the bus. There won't be any stopping or turning around once you get on. And you can kiss any freedom goodbye for the next few months once you're downrange.

Unless things have changed since I went to basic the only way you're going to end the possibility of actually starting training is to flip out while you're still in reception. I've seen guys flip out while in reception--and I've left guys behind that had been stuck in reception for several months after having flipped out, which means you'll watch dozens of guys with the courage to do what they signed up for leave you behind and go downrange to train. They will have graduated and moved on with their lives while you're still stuck in reception because you wanted to be a baby and turn your smile upside down.

At any rate, whether you're stuck in reception or stuck downrange at a training battalion you'll be treated like dirt by the cadre while you watch dozens of guys progress in their training, which, in my opinion is a fate worse than death. And if you're one of those flakey guys that constantly annoys the cadre with stupid questions and requests they'll make you pay for it every second of your life while you're there.

My advice to you, if you haven't enlisted yet, and you're acting doubtful like you are now, then DON'T. Don't waste hundreds of people's time that revolve around turning a guy into a soldier. THINK about your decision--research every shred of information available to you on the internet. Comb through the topics on this discussion board till your eyes bleed. Look at training videos on YouTube, search through other military discussion boards, comb other various military websites, answers.com, anything and everything. If you then decide to join, then great--welcome. But if you decide not to enlist, then nobody's going to lose any sleep over it as thousands of people are rejected every day of the week, and millions more don't even qualify because they can't meet the standard due to being a fat body or having convictions.

HOWEVER, if you have enlisted, then you are going to need to perform a very serious gut check. Bottom line is I don't care what you endure downrange at a training battalion no one is going to try to kill you. No Drill Sergeant is going to corner you in the barracks and slit your throat. In fact, they aren't even going to lay a finger on you. The time you spend training will go by in the blink of an eye. It seemed like it was just yesterday that I was embracing the suck in BCT in 2011. Now I'm in OCS and I'm graduating in August. Forget about the day-to-day and see yourself at the end of the tunnel.
        Last edited by VICEROY06; April 2nd, 2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

In the NG, once you sign up and swear in, you are in. If you try to get out now, you may and you'll have to carry around a negative NGB-22/DD214 for the rest of your life....

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
            In the NG, once you sign up and swear in, you are in. If you try to get out now, you may and you'll have to carry around a negative NGB-22/DD214 for the rest of your life....
            If they never went to basic there wont be a DD 214. And in almost all scenarios it would be an uncharacterized discharge.

Comment

True.

I was referring to "negative" in the fact that they'll have that uncharacterized discharge that will pop up if they every apply for a government job... and they'll have to explain why, which may lead to some personal awkwardness.

Plus, how many people are on this board with "Oh, I was young and stupid and blew my chance in the military. It's 10 years later and I regret it and want to get back in..."

Comment

...how many people are on this board with "Oh, I was young and stupid and blew my chance in the military. It's 10 years later and I regret it and want to get back in..."
                Those people will have to just suck it up and move on with life. I have no sympathy for them. I don't look upon not having joined the Armed Forces at a certain time in life as a mistake. I could have enlisted back in 1988. By now, at the very least, I could have been a Major if not a LTC by now. I'm I crying about it? No. Do I expect anyone to care? No.

The real question is this: What did you do with your life in spite of joining the Armed Forces? Generally speaking, if a person sat on his or her arse and did NOTHING with their life, then they have no one to blame for it but themselves. But if you were productive with your life in that time, then there's nothing to cry about.

Comment

True.

I was referring to "negative" in the fact that they'll have that uncharacterized discharge that will pop up if they every apply for a government job... and they'll have to explain why, which may lead to some personal awkwardness.

Plus, how many people are on this board with "Oh, I was young and stupid and blew my chance in the military. It's 10 years later and I regret it and want to get back in..."
                  Im not arguing...because I don't condone the idea of quiting, BUT almost no one ever asks for a NGB 22. Even for government jobs. Most people haven't a clue what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                    Im not arguing...because I don't condone the idea of quiting, BUT almost no one ever asks for a NGB 22. Even for government jobs. Most people haven't a clue what it is.
                    You're right. But there's always that sweet, high-paying, private sector job that would be the perfect career choice. However, 'that guy' can't get it because that one company just happens to be the one that does a comprehensive background check and finds out you turned your back on Uncle Sam. I wouldn't want to be 'that guy'.

I could understand somebody wanting to quit for legitimate reasons: Death in the immediate family, financial crisis, terminal illness etc. But to quit because you're afraid is total garbage.

Comment

I've never heard of a single person who couldn't get a job because he didn't ship to basic. Consider me a skeptic, but I think it's all scare tactics. I work in state government and it is not mandated to perform a background check on every applicant or employee.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                        I've never heard of a single person who couldn't get a job because he didn't ship to basic. Consider me a skeptic, but I think it's all scare tactics. I work in state government and it is not mandated to perform a background check on every applicant or employee.
                        I know for one thing there isn't a school system in this country that would deny a person with a valid teacher's certificate a job short of having an obvious criminal record or a bad reference. But there are some private sector businesses that do check for any and every reason NOT to hire someone. I used to date a woman who was a freelance detective. She did nothing but investigate applicants of various companies that she had contracts with--and she had long paper trails on many 'suspects'.

Comment

What a waste of money, it's something like $13,000 to recruit a soldier and if they don't tell anyone they aren't shipping, the state pays for BCT anyways.

It's like a $63,000 face-palm.

Comment

Are you sure about that Chaplain4me? I'm an Army budgeteer by trade and I don't buy it.

I attended the Army Comptroller Course at Syracuse University. At the time it was taught by a former TRADOC G-8 and he used real world case examples of budgets for some of our exercises. He attested to the fact that big Army TRADOC budgets for all IET, they simply allocate X amount of slots to the states. Could be wrong but that makes sense in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

It costs upwards of $150,000 to train an individual soldier from the time he or she signs the contract up until he or she is MOSq'd.

In related news:

One soldier, one year: $850,000
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; April 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X