X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air National Guard?

So I made an account here on this website because I really don't know where else to go. I understand this is the Army National Guard, but I'm hoping I could get help regarding the Air Guard.
    I'm 17, currently a Junior in High School in the State of Florida and I will most likely be joining the Air Force. I've recently started looking into the Guard as a choice.

Now here begins my questions:
    In the Air National Guard, will they pay for my College tuition?

Will the Air Guard allow me to take ROTC in College and still pay for my College?

The ROTC Scholarship Program, what is it? I heard you need a GPA of 3.0 to qualify, how does it work exactly? Does that pay for college? What about the G.I. Bill? Isn't that supposed to pay for college?

Special Investigations, would I be able to take that career path or at least start it while in the Air Guard?

Does taking Air ROTC in College guarantee becoming an Officer?

Can I switch from the Air Guard to the Air Force after getting my Bachelor's Degree in College?

What would be the odds of getting into a job as an Agent in the Office of Special Investigations after College from being in the Air Guard? (Assuming I become an Officer.)

It's a lot of questions, and I still have more, but I am hoping someone on here can help me. I plan on calling the Air Guard Recruiter in my area this Monday, but I want some info before consulting them ahead of time.

And again, I know this is the Army Guard Forum, but I cant find an Air Guard Forum anywhere that is active enough to help. I also understand an answer to all of my questions is slim, but I would like as many as you guys can get to me.
    All the info you guys can give me helps and thanks in advance to you all!

Re: Air National Guard?

Simple Answer is ask a Recruiter all these questions.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBlessUSA View Post
      Simple Answer is ask a Recruiter all these questions.
      I kinda wanted some info from folks who had first hand experience too. I'd rather have info from many and not just a single recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by dclark96 View Post
        So I made an account here on this website because I really don't know where else to go. I understand this is the Army National Guard, but I'm hoping I could get help regarding the Air Guard.
        I'm 17, currently a Junior in High School in the State of Florida and I will most likely be joining the Air Force. I've recently started looking into the Guard as a choice. Now here begins my questions:
        In the Air National Guard, will they pay for my College tuition?
        From the research I have done, their tuition assistance is similar to Army National Guard. Some states offer 100% assistance some dont, that part is up to the individual state.

Will the Air Guard allow me to take ROTC in College and still pay for my College?
        Do you mean Enlist as an Airguardsman and apply to ROTC? There is no reason you cannot enlist and go ROTC at the same time. It is simply a way to gain a commission whether you are enlisted first or not. And as for the college tuition part, see my answer above.

The ROTC Scholarship Program, what is it? I heard you need a GPA of 3.0 to qualify, how does it work exactly? Does that pay for college? What about the G.I. Bill? Isn't that supposed to pay for college?
        Talk with an ROTC official (such as one at the college you wish to attend to have this answered). There are 2 G.I. Bills Montgomery and Post 9/11. A simple google search will explain the difference as I do not wish to type it here!

Special Investigations, would I be able to take that career path or at least start it while in the Air Guard?
        Not sure what you are asking here...

Does taking Air ROTC in College guarantee becoming an Officer?
        It is a source of commission, so assuming you pass/complete the program-Yes.

Can I switch from the Air Guard to the Air Force after getting my Bachelor's Degree in College?
        In a word, Yes. You can get specifics from a recruiter.

What would be the odds of getting into a job as an Agent in the Office of Special Investigations after College from being in the Air Guard? (Assuming I become an Officer.)
        Im afraid I cannot be of help here.

It's a lot of questions, and I still have more, but I am hoping someone on here can help me. I plan on calling the Air Guard Recruiter in my area this Monday, but I want some info before consulting them ahead of time.
        And again, I know this is the Army Guard Forum, but I cant find an Air Guard Forum anywhere that is active enough to help. I also understand an answer to all of my questions is slim, but I would like as many as you guys can get to me.
        All the info you guys can give me helps and thanks in advance to you all!
        Hope this helps. As you can see and have been told, many of your questions can be answered when you meet with the ANG recruiter. Good luck.
        Last edited by Hawks; March 24th, 2013, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Hawks, thank you so much for your help! You have basically answered most of the questions I really needed to know for the time being. I'll be calling the ANG recruiter tomorrow, again, thanks!

Comment

If you are talking about Air Force Office of Special Investigations, there are no Air National Guard positions. They are composed of all other Air Force entities, except the ANG.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
              If you are talking about Air Force Office of Special Investigations, there are no Air National Guard positions. They are composed of all other Air Force entities, except the ANG.
              So assuming I become an Officer, let's say I transfer to the Air Force, what would increase my chances of getting into the OSI? I know they probably won't pick a guy who only worked once a month, but what if I become an Intelligence Officer and then trained over into the OSI after 4 years of service. Is that possible and could it work?

I'm still trying to understand how OSI works honestly, the AF recruiter said you could get into it as an enlist, but I'm not sure if he meant straight into it after enlisting, or switching into it after 4 years in the AF doing some other MOS.

I'll be sure to ask the recruiter that question later.

Comment

So assuming I become an Officer, let's say I transfer to the Air Force, what would increase my chances of getting into the OSI? I know they probably won't pick a guy who only worked once a month, but what if I become an Intelligence Officer and then trained over into the OSI after 4 years of service. Is that possible and could it work?

I'm still trying to understand how OSI works honestly, the AF recruiter said you could get into it as an enlist, but I'm not sure if he meant straight into it after enlisting, or switching into it after 4 years in the AF doing some other MOS.

I'll be sure to ask the recruiter that question later.
                You're recruiter will be far from an expert in these lines of questions. OSI is the most highly sought after career field after fighter pilots. I highly recommend you reach out to an AFOSI office and talk to them about your goals. No one here is going to be an expert on this topic.

http://www.osi.af.mil/questions/enli...nlistedfaq.asp

Comment

You're recruiter will be far from an expert in these lines of questions. OSI is the most highly sought after career field after fighter pilots. I highly recommend you reach out to an AFOSI office and talk to them about your goals. No one here is going to be an expert on this topic.

http://www.osi.af.mil/questions/enli...nlistedfaq.asp
                  Thanks, I've been doing research like crazy over the past few days. My only issue with talking to my recruiter is that they may not help me get to my goal which is mainly to be an officer. I understand they are paid to get enlists in, but I don't want to be steered the wrong way on my objectives.

Comment

Thanks, I've been doing research like crazy over the past few days. My only issue with talking to my recruiter is that they may not help me get to my goal which is mainly to be an officer. I understand they are paid to get enlists in, but I don't want to be steered the wrong way on my objectives.
                    You need to figure out exactly what you want and stay focused on one track. Saying you want to be an Officer and OSI is a considerably difficult combination.

Comment

Hawks, thank you so much for your help! You have basically answered most of the questions I really needed to know for the time being. I'll be calling the ANG recruiter tomorrow, again, thanks!
                      Happy to help.

Comment

You need to figure out exactly what you want and stay focused on one track. Saying you want to be an Officer and OSI is a considerably difficult combination.
                        I for sure want to be an Officer. That is a must. I am hoping to somehow get into OSI as an Officer. I don't know if i'll be able to, but it's worth a shot none the less.
                        Officer is goal number 1 though, that is for sure.

Comment

I for sure want to be an Officer. That is a must. I am hoping to somehow get into OSI as an Officer. I don't know if i'll be able to, but it's worth a shot none the less.
                          Officer is goal number 1 though, that is for sure.
                          It is almost unheard of in the Air Guard to enlist as an Officer. You go in enlisted and when you meet the qualifications (college, etc) you can take a written test and if you pass that than you have a panel interview. Most people have to do multiple interviews before they are selected to become an Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
                            It is almost unheard of in the Air Guard to enlist as an Officer. You go in enlisted and when you meet the qualifications (college, etc) you can take a written test and if you pass that than you have a panel interview. Most people have to do multiple interviews before they are selected to become an Officer.
                            I can speak from experience here. In the Air Force/Guard's defense, they may do it this way--but their drop out rate at OTS (officer training school) is VERY and i mean VERY low. Thats why they are so selective. As I sat on the fence between Air/Army NG, Army was able to offer me a officer candidate slot upon enlistment, Air was not (at least not until after 'going in enlisted and applying the board later' as we all hear so much about). That was ulitmately what swayed me.

Comment

Working...
                            X