Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of deploying somewhere as a LT in 2013-2014?

If I sign up and get commissioned, I would like to have at least one deployment. With Iraq done and Afghanistan winding down, I could very well not get commissioned until the wars are over. If that is the case, does the Guard ever get deployed anywhere else? Or would I likely be relegated to weekend training and no deployments barring natural disasters? Could I volunteer with another unit? Are LT's needed or would it be almost impossible as a new LT to get taken on somewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Chances of deploying somewhere as a LT in 2013-2014?

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
    If I sign up and get commissioned, I would like to have at least one deployment. With Iraq done and Afghanistan winding down, I could very well not get commissioned until the wars are over. If that is the case, does the Guard ever get deployed anywhere else? Or would I likely be relegated to weekend training and no deployments barring natural disasters? Could I volunteer with another unit? Are LT's needed or would it be almost impossible as a new LT to get taken on somewhere?

Thanks for any advice.
    Have you taken the ASVAB yet?

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      Have you taken the ASVAB yet?
      No, I have been studying for it and taken practice tests. I have scored well but am still going to study more. I probably will go hard at it for another month or two but am confident I will score well enough for the 110 or higher.

Does a higher ASVAB score over 110 GT matter? Or is it an instance where if you get 110, it doesn't really matter how much higher of a score you get?
      Last edited by Deuce; March 21st, 2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

ASVAB is just check the box, as long as you meet the standard, you'll be good-to-go.

As far as deployment, you are non-deployable until you finish BCT/OCS/BOLC. Depending on which OCS route you go (accelerated, traditional, or federal), you're looking at a minimum of 10 weeks of BCT, 8 weeks to 12 months of OCS, and 16+/- weeks of BOLC. Expect to wait a while between each stage of training, as well. With the drawdown in Afghanistan set to be complete at the end of 2014, I'd say you have virtually no shot of going there.

As far as other deployments, you never know. I can't see us committing a significant amount of ground troops to another conflict unless something REALLY bad happens, but we live in a crazy world and you never know...

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
          As far as other deployments, you never know. I can't see us committing a significant amount of ground troops to another conflict unless something REALLY bad happens, but we live in a crazy world and you never know...
          I'm deploying on a non-OEF/OIF mission next year.

Comment

Working...
          X